You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Can't post the article due to some copyright protection but the link at the bottom.

"The Labour party has stepped into the vacuum left by the government and appears to be offering the radical change that people seek." This by ex Tory Treasury Min & Goldman economist Jim O'Neill should terrify the Cons and please Labour

David Lammy

To those saying we need a GE not a #PeoplesVote - I want rid of this awful Tory govt more than anyone.

But we need to get real. Tory & DUP MPs are not going to vote for a GE in a month of Sundays. 

Far more likely some vote for a referendum amendment - if so, the govt collapses

Labour have held their cards close to their chest all this time. Why would they bust their load now and hand Theresa her only possible lifeline?

I said all along I think the correct policy is to wait until the Tories self destruct because brexit, in any form, is undeliverable. I think labour called this one right, personally. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, skend04 said:

But he is right. The maths aren't there with the Fixed Term Parliament Act. They'll call a referendum before a general election as even the rebels won't vote themselves out of parliament.

I disagree, the only way we’ll ever get a second referendum is via a general election. I can’t see it happening any other way 

2 minutes ago, moof said:

I disagree, the only way we’ll ever get a second referendum is via a general election. I can’t see it happening any other way 

If May entertains it, she is gone and the replacement will pull out with no deal. Unless there can somehow be an election, there’s going to be fuck all doing. Rico’s boys have sold us down the fucking river. 

• Upvote 1

DUP first and only priority is avoiding a United Ireland. Whilst May is backing the DUP ( at the moment things change quickly) if they can't break the EU attention will turn to the DUP. How will the DUP react to that?  

There was only one vote in it when the Callaghan government was defeated in 79 and John Smith's Labour got very close to bringing down John Majors government over Maastricht. Labour will almost definitely vote against a May deal then it is up to maybe 20 -30 Tory and DUP members of parliament who will make the difference accounting for some Labour mps. 

Watching the UK being embarrassed would have focused some Tory mps minds yesterday. Putting aside their politics a lot of Tory mps are true believers in the prestige and influence of the UK. 

As for no deal if they walk out then I assume that if the politicians don't enforce a no confidence the markets would. 

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

If May entertains it, she is gone and the replacement will pull out with no deal. Unless there can somehow be an election, there’s going to be fuck all doing. Rico’s boys have sold us down the fucking river. 

Its not the Torys fault as Rico states its Labours for doing fuck all.

5 hours ago, rico1304 said:

Any comments on Brexit, Saltzberg?  

Corbyn: No deal is not an option

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has said that “no deal is not an option” and slammed the government’s negotiating tactics. However, his response does not include a demand that May drop her current plans and, interestingly, also calls on the EU to end the “political games.”

Theresa May’s Brexit negotiating strategy has been a disaster. The Tories have spent more time arguing among themselves than negotiating with the EU.

From day one, the Prime Minister has looked incapable of delivering a good Brexit deal for Britain. The political games from both the EU and our Government need to end because no deal is not an option.

7 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

He/Labour have said that they will push for e GE and let the public decide what way they want to go, haven’t they? 

Where's the choice if both major parties are not willing to have a final vote. 

Vote LD and hope for a hung parliament seems a poor option, 

5 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Where's the choice if both major parties are not willing to have a final vote. 

Vote LD and hope for a hung parliament seems a poor option, 

It’s not a viable option either because it’ll be the first thing out of the window in a coalition agreement. There’s zero viable options at this point. Not unless the Tories implode and implode soon. 

Edit: Oh, you mean if Labour win the major share in an election before the scheduled election, and there’s an agreement between Lib and Lab. could happen if the unlikely implosion happens, I guess.

We need to face it, we are leaving the EU.