Quantcast
Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader? - Page 315 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

What you really need to understand is that when Thatcher said "There's no such thing as society" she lied.

Society exists.  You and your family live in it.  Whatever's best for the wider society is best for your family.  Right now, that means some long-overdue public investments in public services and in the economy.  Everyone who is fortunate enough to be able to contribute to that has a moral duty to do so; it will work out best for them and their families in the long run.

thing is, and we all know examples of this in the societies we operate in, is that some people who you mix with through sport, work or whatever else, derive pleasure from rubbing other peoples' noses in it that they have more. it gives them a bonk on and that snideness is sometimes their main motivator. they definitely want and enjoy that clear monetary division in peer and extended family groups etc 

they also only like to question how things are going if they have an inkling somebody is doing shit. when they catch wind that this isn't the case, the questions stop funnily enough. the thought of not being 'ahead' in their circle makes them really miserable

if they have anything it's like putting a suit on pig anyway. makes me laugh

There is a simple reason for the discrepancy here. People cheating the welfare state are taking other people's money, whereas someone trying to diminish their tax burden is trying to keep more of their own money.

In pithier terms, welfare cheats are stealing money, and tax avoiders are trying to stop their money being stolen.

It really is a wonder why your posts in the political threads aren't more popular.

There is a simple reason for the discrepancy here. People cheating the welfare state are taking other people's money, whereas someone trying to diminish their tax burden is trying to keep more of their own money.

In pithier terms, welfare cheats are stealing money, and tax avoiders are trying to stop their money being stolen.

Remarkable insight.

It really is a wonder why your posts in the political threads aren't more popular.

Oh, it's because many of you are simply too dense to understand them, let alone argue against them.

Feel free to explain the shortcomings in what I posted.

• Downvote 1

Oh, it's because many of you are simply too dense to understand them, let alone argue against them.

Risible

Is this the Toryest quote ever posted on here? Has to be a contender.

• Upvote 1

Brain fart surely.

Is this the Toryest quote ever posted on here? Has to be a contender.

I am explaining to you why common attitudes towards tax avoidance and benefit theft are at variance to each other.

Quite how this is "Tory", I do not know.

Been catching up in here and it's interesting. 

It seems to me that there is a mood to swing over to a fairer society, and while it's not quite irresistible yet, it will get there. A hung Parliament is a big step in the right direction for Labour. And from afar, I'd have to say that there's a lot more substance to Corbyn than I first thought. 

I'm hoping the same sort of thing catches on over here. There was a lot of hope as Bernie Sanders ran for the Democratic nomination, but then it hit the buffers. I don't think it's going to go away though, and it will organize again and come back again, stronger. 

I think that's what will happen for Labour. It's desperately difficult to overcome the status quo as not only are you trying to get your ideas across, but you are doing so in a situation where the deck is stacked against you as you do not hold the machinery of power in your hands. 

If the Tories hang on with a hung Parliament it will be ineffective. Labour will come again. People want a fairer society. At our best we are decent. Most people want the right to earn and do well for themselves and their families, but never to the extent that it puts loads of others on the scrapheap. That strikes me as un-British. 

• Upvote 2

This just raises more questions than it answers, to be honest. Is the argument that more tax (and, consequently, less control of personal spending) is equal to more civilisation? Because I can show you some extremely uncivilised places where people get to keep less of their own money than we do.

As Rico has pointed out, he's not opposed to paying tax, he just feels that he pays enough. Chances are that he's paid a lot more tax in his life than some sad little virgin living in his mum's cellar ever will, yet the latter would no doubt decry the former as selfish, which I find supremely ironic.

Well, what's the Lib Dems answer to it? Borrowing 15 billion out of the 30 billion pound bill your manifesto costs?

Just wanted to comment on the dialog with Rico and others I've been reading over the last few pages too.

I don't know any of the players involved, and can only go by what I'm reading on here, but I just want to say Rico is more than entitled to vote as he pleases. I disagree ideologically with the Tories, but the fact is they are one of the two great political parties in Britain, and the way it is coming across is almost as though Rico has voted for some sort of extremist fringe outfit. 

The thinking is reasonable too. Nobody likes to pay tax, but it's a fact of life. Rico pays his taxes according to the tax bracket he is in, based on his income, and as such he does his bit for society. 

Surely there's bigger fish to fry if we are intent on having a spat about people paying their taxes? What about the whole system of tax cuts and avoidance for large corporations? Then what about the various schemes for the super rich, the 1%? 

Anyhow, peace and love to all. The political threads on here make for interesting and informative reading. 

• Upvote 5

Well, what's the Lib Dems answer to it? Borrowing 15 billion out of the 30 billion pound bill your manifesto costs?

The Lib Dems' own costings admitted that they would borrow £14bn out of the £30bn of spending commitments in their manifesto, so I'm not sure what your point is?

I don't know any of the players involved, and can only go by what I'm reading on here, but I just want to say Rico is more than entitled to vote as he pleases. I disagree ideologically with the Tories, but the fact is they are one of the two great political parties in Britain, and the way it is coming across is almost as though Rico has voted for some sort of extremist fringe outfit. 

This version of the Tories, hell bent on hard Brexit and extreme austerity, is an extremist fringe outfit.  The British public are conned into thinking they're a mainstream competent party.  They are not - look at the state of the country.  

• Upvote 2

Just wanted to comment on the dialog with Rico and others I've been reading over the last few pages too.

The thinking is reasonable too. Nobody likes to pay tax, but it's a fact of life. Rico pays his taxes according to the tax bracket he is in, based on his income, and as such he does his bit for society. 

Surely there's bigger fish to fry if we are intent on having a spat about people paying their taxes? What about the whole system of tax cuts and avoidance for large corporations? Then what about the various schemes for the super rich, the 1%? 

Anyhow, peace and love to all. The political threads on here make for interesting and informative reading. 

Agreed. They're not a fringe outfit, sadly.

Spot on, completely agree. I've never knocked Rico for his political beliefs or his reasons for voting the way he does. That's his business and it is to be respected. My argument was the reason many didn't vote Labour - not because of policies, but rather the horrendous treatment Corbyn has received from the Tory owned press, the BBC and the right wing of his own party. As per the thread title...
  • Upvote 1

My understanding is the British people voted for Brexit in a referendum. The Tories are implementing it as they are the government in power. Theresa May wanted clarity and a better mandate to do that, so called for an election. Unfortunately a hung Parliament has only delivered more uncertainty. 

Further, I think she was personally against Brexit. From afar it looked to me as though a load of sniveling little sh**s stirred all that up, and then when they won the vote, they either scarpered, or stabbed each other in the back and then scarpered. 

Corbyn is better than I first thought though. There's more substance there. I had dismissed him as some sort of Geography teacher-type, but there's a bit of steel to the fella to go along with the joined up thinking. 

A fairer society will emerge. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

My argument was the reason many didn't vote Labour - not because of policies, but rather the horrendous treatment Corbyn has received from the Tory owned press, the BBC and the right wing of his own party. As per the thread title...

That's all fair enough. Corbyn has had a rough ride. It looks like enough people are starting to see that, so hopefully change will come. 

My understanding is the British people voted for Brexit in a referendum. The Tories are implementing it as they are the government in power. Theresa May wanted clarity and a better mandate to do that, so called for an election. Unfortunately a hung Parliament has only delivered more uncertainty. 

Further, I think she was personally against Brexit. From afar it looked to me as though a load of sniveling little sh**s stirred all that up, and then when they won the vote, they either scarpered, or stabbed each other in the back and then scarpered. 

Corbyn is better than I first thought though. There's more substance there. I had dismissed him as some sort of Geography teacher-type, but there's a bit of steel to the fella to go along with the joined up thinking. 

A fairer society will emerge. 

I'm sorry G I've had to neg you for that outrageous slur against Geography teachers

I'm sure what you meant to say was that he was so good he almost reached the giddy heights occupied only by Geography teachers and Jurgen Klopp

• Upvote 3