You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Tim Farron aimed his campaign at sweeping up the 16m people that voted remain. He got 14 seats.

Jeremy Corbyn, predicted to destroy the Labour Party and hand the Tories a 150 majority, faced with a gang of appalling backstabbing shithouses in his own party, and one of the most repulsive media campaigns against him, pulled off one of the most surprising and spectacular election results for decades.

A Lib Dem making a joke at Labour's expense...

And lost.

And neither has it been working for a long time and yet you are still surviving. If you are looking for a perfect world it doesn't exist, but if you don't believe there is a much better way then you are wrong.

For the record my sister and brother in law most likely are on the 40% rate and live in a nice house in Ainsdale with 3 great kids and nice cars but there is not a chance they would never vote Labour because they see the major benefits in an alternative society.

I'm not looking for a perfect world. That's just daft. I'm looking after my family. I'm not abandoning everyone else, but mine are first. That means I pay the lowest amount of tax I can.

I'm not looking for a perfect world. That's just daft. I'm looking after my family. I'm not abandoning everyone else, but mine are first. That means I pay the lowest amount of tax I can.

What you really need to understand is that when Thatcher said "There's no such thing as society" she lied.

Society exists.  You and your family live in it.  Whatever's best for the wider society is best for your family.  Right now, that means some long-overdue public investments in public services and in the economy.  Everyone who is fortunate enough to be able to contribute to that has a moral duty to do so; it will work out best for them and their families in the long run.

What you really need to understand is that when Thatcher said "There's no such thing as society" she lied.

Society exists. You and your family live in it. Whatever's best for the wider society is best for your family. Right now, that means some long-overdue public investments in public services and in the economy. Everyone who is fortunate enough to be able to contribute to that has a moral duty to do so; it will work out best for them and their families in the long run.

Oh thanks for explaining it. Well done.

Things are ok now. I know that because people voted.

• Downvote 1

Yes, losing my job v more tax is a no brainer. Keeping my job and less tax is my best option obviously!

The way I view it Corbyn's policies are mostly paid for by taxing the rich and businesses. We all know that once anyone gets into power and realises how things work the rich and businesses ain't going to be taxed to the extent he wants. That means someone else will have to pay, that someone is very likely to be me. In short, if he were to win the chances of my taxes going up in the next 5 years are higher under Labour, even if I keep my job. Why would I vote for that?

Maybe because the country as a whole would prosper from better infrastructure, education and health, which would benefit you in your old age, your children, and the good of society.  Businesses and the very rich would have to pay substantially more tax, and they would.  There are loads of people on here who will be paying the higher rates of tax, but most of them can see the long term benefit for society (including their family).  I think taking a 'get what I can out of it now' view has been a cancer on this country for the last 40 years, and I can only see things deteriorating even further if we don't do something about it now. 

• Upvote 1

Society exists.  You and your family live in it.  Whatever's best for the wider society is best for your family.  Right now, that means some long-overdue public investments in public services and in the economy.  Everyone who is fortunate enough to be able to contribute to that has a moral duty to do so; it will work out best for them and their families in the long run.

There's no point. His viewpoint, and those of all Tories, is inseparable from a primary school child asked to share anything, while forgetting that the entire structure they're in was built by others.

I don't think anyone wants to pay more tax, but personally I'd be happy to pay a bit more tax (I'm nowhere near the higher tax bracket), if it meant I wasn't getting emails from my daughters school asking for donations to make up for the shortfall in the school funding. I'm not saying your way is wrong or right, just different ways of looking at it.

It's nice to see some acknowledgement of that. I think half of the problem of why politics is so vicious at the moment is that so many people believe that their subjective opinion represents an objective truth.

• Downvote 1

And lost.

If you want to see a hung parliament as a loss maybe, but it's clear that it's not that simple. Especially with all of the shit that the Tories are facing right now, and it's not even clear that they can manage to run the government properly yet.

I don't use libraries because I have a Kindle and the internet.  Shut them down.

I don't use municipal leisure facilities because I'm a member of a gym and a sports club.  Shut them down.

I don't use the NHS because I have private health insurance.  Shut it down.

I don't use state schools because my kids are in private education.  Shut them down.

Etc etc.

It's all about me and my tax.  And my thinking extends as far as the things that affect me and no further.

• Upvote 2

I pay a total of 35% tax (income tax, national insurance etc) but there are no allowances here. I would be happy to pay 40% and have a decent public hospital to give the phototherapy that my daughter needed shortly after birth instead of the shithole with badly trained staff and doctors who don't work at weekends. In fact, I probably wouldn't have needed to go private for the prenatal care and birth, so this year it would have ended up as a saving for me.

Rico - you probably can't save enough money to ensure that your daughter has great private medical care for her entire life, however you could pay a bit more tax and get a great NHS

Maybe because the country as a whole would prosper from better infrastructure, education and health, which would benefit you in your old age, your children, and the good of society. Businesses and the very rich would have to pay substantially more tax, and they would. There are loads of people on here who will be paying the higher rates of tax, but most of them can see the long term benefit for society (including their family). I think taking a 'get what I can out of it now' view has been a cancer on this country for the last 40 years, and I can only see things deteriorating even further if we don't do something about it now.

This is the nub of it. I don't believe they would, because they never do.

The country were asked their view and didn't agree either. That doesn't make those who voted against it bad, just that they have a different view. The pontificating that goes on in these threads is unbelievable.

• Downvote 1

This is the nub of it. I don't believe they would, because they never do.

The country were asked their view and didn't agree either. That doesn't make those who voted against it bad, just that they have a different view. The pontificating that goes on in these threads is unbelievable.

You don't believe it but a lot of us do because its happened before in the UK and still happens in the economies of some of our near European neighbours.

Me,me,me has got to change because nobody gets by without the efforts of others.

You don't believe it but a lot of us do because its happened before in the UK and still happens in the economies of some of our near European neighbours.

Me,me,me has got to change because nobody gets by without the efforts of others.

A lot of you do, but not enough.

• Downvote 1

But not enough of those 60% agree with you. Or it'd have been a landslide. Which it wasn't.

There were plenty of people interviewed during the election who said they preferred Labour's manifesto, but 'weren't sure about Corbyn'. That's what two years of smear campaign from the MSM does.

• Upvote 1