You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

He should bin his party membership now and write to Starmer telling him to shove it. What a load of bollocks, he gets readmitted to the party but then the leader won't give him the part whip back! Well done Mr Starmer, you've proved beyond doubt that the Labour Party is not a broad church, it's just Tory-lite.

• Upvote 2

This just all makes Labour look amateurish (again). NEC reinstates based on clarification of his statement (which didn’t even need clarification, anyone with half a brain or no agenda knew what he was saying). Not restoring the whip is basically disagreeing with the NEC.

So you can lose the whip based on interpretation of some words you wrote but stuff which leads to people dying, for instance, is fine.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Brownie said:

This just all makes Labour look amateurish (again). NEC reinstates based on clarification of his statement (which didn’t even need clarification, anyone with half a brain or no agenda knew what he was saying). Not restoring the whip is basically disagreeing with the NEC.

So you can lose the whip based on interpretation of some words you wrote but stuff which leads to people dying, for instance, is fine.

Wait, what? Stuff leading to people dying is fine? 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

It's a massive headache that Labour as a party can do without. 

I'm guessing (again) that Starmer was hoping they'd have booted him so he didn't have to take these measures. Thing is, I think the findings of that report are pretty damning and I suspect that it's as much about that as Corbyn's numerous fuck-ups in response to it. This is such a mess. Got some balls on him, though. Right or wrong, he hasn't hidden. 

So... bets on who goes? Abbott, McDonnell, RLB, Richard Burgon... erm... I guess a few others from the Campaign Group? 

2 minutes ago, Numero said:

I'm guessing (again) that Starmer was hoping they'd have booted him so he didn't have to take these measures. Thing is, I think the findings of that report are pretty damning and I suspect that it's as much about that as Corbyn's numerous fuck-ups in response to it. This is such a mess. Got some balls on him, though. Right or wrong, he hasn't hidden. 

So... bets on who goes? Abbott, McDonnell, RLB, Richard Burgon... erm... I guess a few others from the Campaign Group? 

Didnt you broadly welcome Corbyns statement yesterday morning?

9 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Didnt you broadly welcome Corbyns statement yesterday morning?

Not sure what that has to do with what I posted, but I called it a non-retraction retraction and that if he’d put that out instead of what he did - denials and deflections - it might have avoided this. I can only guess what’s actually going on as I’m not privy to the info. I’d wrongly assumed that this was agreed by all parties, but it clearly wasn’t. 

25 minutes ago, Numero said:

Wait, what? Stuff leading to people dying is fine? 

MP’s who vote for illegal wars - fine, keep the whip.

MP’s who issue a questionably worded statement - down with this sort of thing, no whip for you. 

It’s just a very jarring comparison from a very basic standpoint.

• Upvote 1

Corbyn, rightly or wrongly is toxic. Corbyn knows or should know this having not won a single election in 4 years. Corbyn should step down as MP because he's nothing but a distraction from the party. It's not that difficult, yet he hangs on because he sees nothing wrong in what he has done or has failed to do.

Genuinely pathetic that people can't see this and they're pitching their left wing flags to a bloke rather than policies or the chance to govern and get policies enacted rather than piss and moan on social media for another decade.

• Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, Numero said:

Not sure what that has to do with what I posted, but I called it a non-retraction retraction and that if he’d put that out instead of what he did - denials and deflections - it might have avoided this. I can only guess what’s actually going on as I’m not privy to the info. I’d wrongly assumed that this was agreed by all parties, but it clearly wasn’t. 

Well judging by your reaction yesterday morning I assumed you thought the Corbyn statement would be the conclusion to the matter, as did most people.

I'm not sure who you mean by "agreed between parties ? Starmer? Hodge? The Nec? The Unions? I'm not sure they were allowed to interfere anyway because of the recommendations of the report.

I thought Starmer was unnecessarily over the top after the report and and I think his intervention today is unnecessary. The labour party is heading for a war which dosnt need to be fought.

7 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Corbyn, rightly or wrongly is toxic. Corbyn knows or should know this having not won a single election in 4 years. Corbyn should step down as MP because he's nothing but a distraction from the party. It's not that difficult, yet he hangs on because he sees nothing wrong in what he has done or has failed to do.

Genuinely pathetic that people can't see this and they're pitching their left wing flags to a bloke rather than policies or the chance to govern and get policies enacted rather than piss and moan on social media for another decade.

Shouldn't the constituents of islington have the final say on who should be their elected member of parliament? 

Edit. Especially as he won his seat by about 20.000 odd votes

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

But a split without a prior change to the voting system would just mean they'd hand most of their seats to the Tories.

It would be catastrophic if it happened without a PR system. We already have this problem in many seats with votes chopped up between Labour, Lib Dem and Green, allowing the Tories to win seats with 35%/40% of the vote.

My own constituency, which admittedly has a Tory majority anyway, has had a fairly even split between Labour and Lib Dem in second place, preventing any meaningful challenge to the incumbent Tory cunt. Imagine what would happen if Labour split in half. It would decimate the amount of seats they have.

We need a PR voting system, then they can split, and then coalitions can form once in government. And it would be far more democratic. You'd never have to vote for a party with Margaret Hodge and Ian Austin in it ever again. 

And the control over what are deemed the acceptable parameters of economic and political debate would be extended.

To be honest, if we had a PR system I'd probably just vote Green anyway.

For some stupid reason I'd forgot about that. It's insane to think that trying to get an alternative party going means Tories would almost definitely be in power for a good while to come, especially when you add in the factor of the media siding with the main parties and spewing out whatever propaganda they can to preserve the current system.

Maybe this country really is fucked for a good while to come because those idiots in parliament clearly aren't voting for PR any time soon.

26 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

This is what Starmer is up against, all he did was visit a synagogue but the comments... wow.

Fuck sake, I hope he cleared that with the BoD and JVL and confirmed that he never spoke to any of the wrong type of jewish people while he was there.

1 hour ago, Numero said:

Wasn't one of the main findings of the EHRC that political interference was a massive no-no or maybe they said it showed big balls can't remember now ? 

45 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Well judging by your reaction yesterday morning I assumed you thought the Corbyn statement would be the conclusion to the matter, as did most people.

I'm not sure who you mean by "agreed between parties ? Starmer? Hodge? The Nec? The Unions? I'm not sure they were allowed to interfere anyway because of the recommendations of the report.

I thought Starmer was unnecessarily over the top after the report and and I think his intervention today is unnecessary. The labour party is heading for a war which dosnt need to be fought.

I thought his reply after the report was about perfect. I’m surprised he chose to withdraw the whip, so that’s interesting but I guess we will see how it plays out.