You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

13 hours ago, Numero said:

The best way to stop that was from being in power before the referendum in Tory manifesto won an election, then it was winning the referendum, then it was winning the election. Unfortunately they didn't win anything, which is where the criticism comes from, and a tweet - as heartfelt as it surely is - won't do anything to stop the Tories. People shouldn't slag the man off on a personal level, but surely criticism of his job as a high ranking politician paid for pay the state should be fair game?

Hmmm?

11 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Indeed. Although you made that analysis at the start of a post that was once again critical of Corbyn. 

Erm, yes. I am critical of Corbyn. Are you confused again? There’s a difference between the problem running deeper than Corbyn (please start reading what I’m replying to) and Corbyn having nothing to do with it. Unless, of course, you think Corbyn - leader of the Labour Party - has no responsibility at all. I wouldn’t put it passed you to be honest. 

Corbyn can’t be blamed for not winning the 2010 election. Corbyn can’t be blamed for Brown or Miliband’s poor performance. He can be blamed for the terrible performance of the Labour Party under his leadership, just as Starmer will if he leads the party to massive defeat. 

Just now, Numero said:

Erm, yes. I am critical of Corbyn. Are you confused again? There’s a difference between the problem running deeper than Corbyn and Corbyn having nothing to do with it. 

Yeah I am a bit confused, I just wondered why in your reply post where you answered to a post regarding Corbyn and the general gist of your reply was to criticise Corbyn you started your response with a point that had very little to do with Jeremy Corbyn.

13 hours ago, Numero said:

The best way to stop that was from being in power before the referendum in Tory manifesto won an election, then it was winning the referendum, then it was winning the election. Unfortunately they didn't win anything, which is where the criticism comes from, and a tweet - as heartfelt as it surely is - won't do anything to stop the Tories. People shouldn't slag the man off on a personal level, but surely criticism of his job as a high ranking politician paid for pay the state should be fair game?

The above is the post I'm talking about, as Angry said what has your first sentence got to do with Jeremy Corbyn's leadership?

It’s like talking to a child. I was responding to the Corbyn tweet and the contents of it. Then, after that, responding to the ‘slagging off’ comment. I was criticising Labour. I’ve done it many times on here, probably in this thread, for Brown, Miliband, and Corbyn. I didn’t blame Corbyn for it and I’m not under the illusion that he was leader prior to 2010. I listed the things that could have stopped it. I didn’t say he was responsible for all of them. The things he was responsible for deserves criticism of his leadership. The things he isn’t responsible for don’t. Either way, he doesn’t deserve personal slagging off. I’ve been consistent on this. 

14 minutes ago, Numero said:

It’s like talking to a child. I was responding to the Corbyn tweet and the contents of it. Then, after that, responding to the ‘slagging off’ comment. I was criticising Labour. I’ve done it many times on here, probably in this thread, for Brown, Miliband, and Corbyn. I didn’t blame Corbyn for it and I’m not under the illusion that he was leader prior to 2010. I listed the things that could have stopped it. I didn’t say he was responsible for all of them. The things he was responsible for deserves criticism of his leadership. The things he isn’t responsible for don’t. Either way, he doesn’t deserve personal slagging off. I’ve been consistent on this. 

Whoa, it was angry who pointed out your ambiguity not me. I was merely asking why in a post responding to Jeremy Corbyn you replied with a list of criticisms and then named Jeremy Corbyn when one of the criticisms had little to do with Jeremy Corbyn.

1 hour ago, Numero said:

Indeed. The failure to keep the Tories out runs deep. Far deeper that Corbyn. 

Labour's share of the vote declined in successive elections under Blair, Brown and Milliband, mainly because they failed to offer anything different to the Tory platform of privatisation, cuts, inequality, militarism, authoritarianism and racism. We only reversed this trend in 2017 (despite the best efforts of cunts in Labour HQ and in the PLP to divide and undermine the party) by offering an alternative to "politics as usual".

Whatever lessons are drawn from the defeat of 2019, we mustn't return to the failed pre-Corbyn approach. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Labour's share of the vote declined in successive elections under Blair, Brown and Milliband, mainly because they failed to offer anything different to the Tory platform of privatisation, cuts, inequality, militarism, authoritarianism and racism. We only reversed this trend in 2017 (despite the best efforts of cunts in Labour HQ and in the PLP to divide and undermine the party) by offering an alternative to "politics as usual".

Whatever lessons are drawn from the defeat of 2019, we mustn't return to the failed pre-Corbyn approach. 

This is a creative framing of those events, mate. 

31 minutes ago, Elysian Red said:

Corbyn was right.

Of course. He wasn't the first one to say it either. It's obvious that this was going to happen. These arguments were being made when Cameron put it in the manifesto, when the referendum was going on, after the referendum was lost, and ever since. We know that we are going to end up with damage to the healthcare service, we know that we are going to end up with shitty US produce, and we know we are going to end up poorer for it. 

4 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The approach that won three successive general elections, you mean.

Yes, the one that absolutely definitely could be repeated exactly the same in any era.

You must be hoping the Lib Dems create a manifesto that Viscount Palmerston would have been in favour of.

• Upvote 1

Talking of Corbyn. Lots of talk on Twitter ‘from Labour sources’ that Corbyn is going to have the whip withdrawn as a result of the findings and recommendations of the report into antisemitism. Should go down well. I hope Corbyn would resign if they have any validity rather than let the party rip apart. That said, it could be a load of bollocks.