You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

6 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It would be nice if the Centrists/Blairites (whatever you want to call them) would just accept the fact that they won and stop all the scams and smears. 

Reeves also made the bizarre observation that it was actually a good thing the Labour party were losing members as many didn't hold Labour Party principals in the first place, meanwhile here's the party's  new mp on the Labour Party magic money tree.

7 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It would be nice if the Centrists/Blairites (whatever you want to call them) would just accept the fact that they won and stop all the scams and smears. 

I'm not sure Wakefield crossing the floor is going to turn out to be the slam dunk some prominent posters think it is, it raises more questions than answers and it's absolutely fair for those questions to be asked. 

The Labour party need to connect with as many voters on the ground as they can, the political proccesss needs opening up and younger people need to be encouraged to take am active intrest in politics, the voting age being cut to sixteen would be a start. The last thing this country needs is the voting restrictions the torys have pushed through parliament.

An example of how these so called small people on the ground can achieve big things high up is the recent announcement in Wales of every primary school kid getting free meals, that wasn't just given as a gift but because children's charity's like the Merthyr Tydfil based Bevan foundation (obviously named after the great man) amongst others hassled and badgered local politicians for years Day in day out, the charity were on almost every high st throughout Wales urging the public to back the campaign, it became unstoppable, the result? the end of child malnutrition in Wales.

https://www.bevanfoundation.org/views/expanding-free-school-meals/

From the recommendations above to this;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/59381277.amp

48 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I'm not sure Wakefield crossing the floor is going to turn out to be the slam dunk some prominent posters think it is, it raises more questions than answers and it's absolutely fair for those questions to be asked. 

The Labour party need to connect with as many voters on the ground as they can, the political proccesss needs opening up and younger people need to be encouraged to take am active intrest in politics, the voting age being cut to sixteen would be a start. The last thing this country needs is the voting restrictions the torys have pushed through parliament.

An example of how these so called small people on the ground can achieve big things high up is the recent announcement in Wales of every primary school kid getting free meals, that wasn't just given as a gift but because children's charity's like the Merthyr Tydfil based Bevan foundation (obviously named after the great man) amongst others hassled and badgered local politicians for years Day in day out, the charity were on almost every high st throughout Wales urging the public to back the campaign, it became unstoppable, the result? the end of child malnutrition in Wales.

https://www.bevanfoundation.org/views/expanding-free-school-meals/

From the recommendations above to this;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/59381277.amp

I think it backfired to a  degree and helped  solidify support for johnson.

2 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Wakefields a grifter, 

The real piss-boiler for me is that if there were a General Election tomorrow, the "foot soldiers" on the knocker and the phone banks for people like Wakeford and Reeves would, for the most part, be the type of activists they spend their careers insulting, smearing and trying to drive out of the party.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

@Gnasher are you calling him Wakefield because he's not fit to even rhyme with Drakeford?

Talking of Drakford he was on BBC breakfast earlier being interviewed by Naga Munchety, Drakeford turned a discussion on Covid into a quiet assassination of Boris Johnsons government,he's always worth listening to, 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Fucking idiots. This is just going to remain as an open sore until the General Election. Starmer's painted himself into a corner and the Tories are laughing their cocks off.

The argument runs that the British population rejected Corbyns Labour, Starmer has now made a break from Corbyns Labour that was rejected thus he is now with the right thinking majority and can be trusted.

We see through that, but for Mr & Mrs soundbite and Sun on Sunday readers it's all they need to know.

How successful it'll be is the gamble.

It's why the Forde report, when it's finally published, I assume will be framed as 'We saw him for the mad commie he was and tried to get rid of him, look we thought the same and wanted rid, but coouldn't and look what happened' It's an easy half truth to swallow for people who won't make the next logical step in thinking.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the more interesting comment by Ash Sarkar was this one. So if you tell an aide to fuck off for banging on about Brexit, you can't comment on the toxic bullying that some maintain was the standard inside the Labour party for a long time under Corbyn. Yeah, I guess that's one way to deflect criticism, Ash. As for dignified silences, well, I'm not sure Ash Sarkar would know silence - dignified or otherwise - if it was screaming in her face. 

Screenshot 2022-02-09 100847.png

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Johnson pulled a blinder though didn’t he. Arguably Starmers finest moment and flappy twat goes and mentions Saville, blowing Starmer out of the water. I’ve barely seen or heard ‘partygate’ or Sue Grey mentioned in the last 7 days. 

Yeah, it's on the backburner for sure but it's just waiting to boil over. It's a deflection and, as you say, quite a good one. Still just a deflection though. It's done him some damage within the Tory party and that puts him on the edge. If, as I suspect it will, the report details the other dozen parties and the police hand out fines, then that could well push him off the ledge. I know lots think he'll slither free, and he still might, but I'm less sure. 

18 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, it's on the backburner for sure but it's just waiting to boil over. It's a deflection and, as you say, quite a good one. Still just a deflection though. It's done him some damage within the Tory party and that puts him on the edge. If, as I suspect it will, the report details the other dozen parties and the police hand out fines, then that could well push him off the ledge. I know lots think he'll slither free, and he still might, but I'm less sure. 

His team, whoever the fuck they are today, have said that even if he receives a FPN he won't quit, even though this is unprecedented and means he has misled parliament.

It's down to the Tories and getting 54 might be easy enough, but 180+ you're going to struggle unless they all grow a collective sense of morality, duty and service, highly doubtful that so many will risk giving up their place at the trof.

26 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I think the more interesting comment by Ash Sarkar was this one. So if you tell an aide to fuck off for banging on about Brexit, you can't comment on the toxic bullying that some maintain was the standard inside the Labour party for a long time under Corbyn. Yeah, I guess that's one way to deflect criticism, Ash. As for dignified silences, well, I'm not sure Ash Sarkar would know silence - dignified or otherwise - if it was screaming in her face. 

Screenshot 2022-02-09 100847.png

Sarkar is just the vehicle for putting Coyles tweet and Coyles actions together, she's not the story he is and theirs a list on Internet pointing out the correlation between Coyles words and actions with Sarkar nowhere in sight.

I think the person who'd have been wise to keep quiet in that little story is Neil Coyle. Sarkars a political commentator, Coyles a Labour Mp managed to get himself splashed all over the press.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Gnasher said:

Sarkar is just the vehicle for putting Coyles tweet and Coyles actions together, she's not the story he is and theirs a list on Internet pointing out the correlation between Coyles words and actions with Sarkar nowhere in sight.

She isn't the story, but she is responsible for her own words. I was responding to those words. Coyle telling somebody to fuck off over Brexit doesn't preclude him from pointing out the toxic, bullying behaviour within the party over the longer term. They are quite different things. 

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

His team, whoever the fuck they are today, have said that even if he receives a FPN he won't quit, even though this is unprecedented and means he has misled parliament.

It's down to the Tories and getting 54 might be easy enough, but 180+ you're going to struggle unless they all grow a collective sense of morality, duty and service, highly doubtful that so many will risk giving up their place at the trof.

Yeah, I think they'll get the 54. 180 is a stretch, but I guess that depends on the shenaniganry of those wanting to get their guy into power. I suspect the Rishi Sunak team are out in force at the moment trying to get support, offering the right people the right promises. It's not completely outside the realms of possibility this one, I reckon.