You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

58 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Probably because he thought it couldn't hurt to have Murdoch's support? Remember at the time, while everyone expected Labour to win, people were mostly surprised by the scale of victory.

I think that's the point though. The scale of the victory and the subsequent victory's were in part due to Muroch's support. If Corbyn and Labour had started to surge ahead in the polls on the back of the 2017 election and May had refused to stand down, do you honestly think Corbyn and Murdoch would have teamed up in the same way? 

If Blair had stopped these cunts holding so much power and influence over the electorate there might have been less of a pro Brexit campaign years down the line and Boris Johnson wouldn't have risen to power etc. Blair took the easy route to victory and we are still feeling the consequences of it now. 

It could also be argued, I certainly would, that the break between the traditional working class and Labour was accelerated under Blair and his government. 

Whilst it is all well and good talking about the things they did, if people on the coal face are not feeling it then it is irrelevant. 

A lot of people, rightly or wrongly, felt that despite 13 years of Labour in power not much had changed for them on a day to day basis. I was still getting this on the doorstep in 2019. Vote Labour because we will help, look what the Tories have done over the last 9 years. Labour did nothing in power so may as well give the Tories a go (red wall constituencies'). 

Same with Brexit vote, people who have nothing being called out about free movement and holidays. Again their life had not improved in 20 odd years, so the easy blame was immigrants. 

No houses being build, housing shortage is because of immigrants. 

Wages stagnated, cheap labour coming in. 

Labour had been in power and peoples wages stagnated, maybe if they had stronger unions it could have helped, but obviously we couldn't/wouldn't overturn the anti union laws that had been brought in. 

Labour wanted to create a nation of home owners, so why would Labour build social housing ? 

Under Blair Labour was no longer seen as the pro union, pro working class party. I understand this is an over simplified post but Labour gave the impression of turning its back/taking for granted its core support, and shock horror its core support turned to something different. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

It could also be argued, I certainly would, that the break between the traditional working class and Labour was accelerated under Blair and his government. 

Whilst it is all well and good talking about the things they did, if people on the coal face are not feeling it then it is irrelevant. 

A lot of people, rightly or wrongly, felt that despite 13 years of Labour in power not much had changed for them on a day to day basis. I was still getting this on the doorstep in 2019. Vote Labour because we will help, look what the Tories have done over the last 9 years. Labour did nothing in power so may as well give the Tories a go (red wall constituencies'). 

Same with Brexit vote, people who have nothing being called out about free movement and holidays. Again their life had not improved in 20 odd years, so the easy blame was immigrants. 

Labour had been in power and peoples wages stagnated, maybe if they had stronger unions it could have helped, but obviously we couldn't/wouldn't overturn the anti union laws that had been brought in. 

Labour wanted to create a nation of home owners, so why would Labour build social housing ? 

Under Blair Labour was no longer seen as the pro union, pro working class party. I understand this is an over simplified post but Labour gave the impression of turning its back/taking for granted its core support, and shock horror its core support turned to something different. 

Was life really that bad for the working class under Blair though, sure start centres, minimum wage, new deal, record funding to the NHS? I think local government and schools were pretty well funded too, certainly in comparison to what followed under Cameron and these cunts, who many working class are now voting for. 

25 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Agreed.

The 3.8 million people that voted UKIP in 2015 were mainly ex Labour voters. The rise of the SNP in Scotland is partly down to the perception that there is no difference between Labour and the Tories. 

I saw a really good interview with somebody from Hartlepool where he said that Labour had taken them for granted for decades and they believe that's why they don't get the funding or attention of other places, so they need to become a marginal/swing seat in order to push political parties in to actually giving a fuck about them.

8 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Was life really that bad for the working class under Blair though, sure start centres, minimum wage, new deal, record funding to the NHS? I think local government and schools were pretty well funded too, certainly in comparison to what followed under Cameron and these cunts, who many working class are now voting for. 

Even the worst Labour Government would be better than a Tory Government.  I'm no fan of New Labour, but I'd also add the Good Friday Agreement, the Freedom of Information Act and the Human Rights Act to their list of significant achievements.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/05/2021 at 01:51, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Even the worst Labour Government would be better than a Tory Government.  I'm no fan of New Labour, but I'd also add the Good Friday Agreement, the Freedom of Information Act and the Human Rights Act to their list of significant achievements.

Erm....

47 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Jeremy seems to have got quite witty now it's no use to us.

If Corbyn had made that statement when Labour leader he'd have been crucified for laughing at the subject of anti semitism. 

No bollocks.

• Upvote 1

Corbyn was apparently in Liverpool today, keeping his pledge to visit Walton Hall Park. Also visited the Homebaked Bakery near Anfield too. 

In other news, the right wing loon who sent antisemitic abuse to Luciana Berger and was then made out to be a leftie has been sent to prison again today for a separate offence. Doesn't like Muslims either, by the looks of things. 

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/crime/dangerous-south-shields-internet-troll-john-nimmo-jailed-for-promoting-terrorism-after-slam-gun-pictures-and-other-troubling-finds-3246195?utm_content=bufferd3fc9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

This isn't only King David though. It's jewish schools across the country since islamic state jumped on the back of the Gaza unrest and called for muslims worldwide to commit atrocities. 

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think I'd only reasonably expect Paula Barker to express solidarity with the one in her constituency.

Although when I say expect, I don't actually expect.

How do you know she hasn't? How do you know she hasn't been on-site at any point over the last few days? Or made calls offering help where needed? 

What have you got against her anyway SD? 

Did she retweet a few things that don't suit you? 

Transparent as fuck.