You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

On 17/11/2020 at 20:43, Dougie Do'ins said:

This anti Semitism within the British Labour party she keeps mentioning. Is this AS coming from known members of the LP actually attacking, verbally or otherwise, Jewish Labour party members ? Has anyone ever been charged and found guilty ?  

This is the most recent one (it's his second conviction).

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nicholas-nelson-jeremy-corbyn-supporter-131529441.html

A Jeremy Corbyn supporter who left a Jewish Labour MP “disturbed” after he called her a “racist Zionist” and said he hoped she would die has been spared jail.

Nicholas Nelson described Margaret Hodge as a “Tory c***” to her parliamentary assistant, used the same phrase to describe another Labour MP and left a voicemail for a third saying “kill yourself”.

The 31-year-old admitted three counts of sending communications of an offensive nature in 2018, relating to abuse received by Hodge, Louise Ellman and John Mann. Ellman and Mann are no longer MPs.

Simon Maughan, prosecuting, previously said the offence against Hodge was flagged as a “hate crime”.

Nelson was spared prison on Tuesday, instead being sentenced to 30 weeks’ imprisonment, suspended for 18 months.

Deputy Chief Magistrate Tan Ikram said the defendant had used the “most vulgar, obscene, threatening vocabulary I can think of”.

“People should feel able to come forward and serve as MPs without fear of violence and threat. Certain communities have felt particularly under threat,” he added.

“And these courts will send a clear message to those who threaten members of those communities, who attack them because of their faith.”

Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard that Nelson said to Hodge’s parliamentary assistant in a phone call: “Margaret should f*** off, you f***ing racist Zionist c***.

“You need to get out of the party and I hope you die, you Tory c***.”

In another call that same day, the court heard he said: “Margaret Hodge is an apartheid-supporting disgusting scumbag b****.”

Hodge, Labour’s MP for Barking since 1994, said she was also told by her office staff about abusive emails.

She added in a statement: “After reading them I felt disturbed and rather shocked at the vitriol expressed.

“I considered the emails to be threatening and was left feeling nervous and unsure about my safety.

“For the first time, I now feel under threat because of my Jewish identity.”

Nelson also targeted Ellman, who resigned from Labour after citing the party’s then leader Corbyn and its antisemitism issue.

“Louise Ellman is a hypocritical Tory c*** who is so thick she is trying to smear Corbyn with an event she herself attended,” Nelson said in an email in August 2018 that the court heard left a parliamentary assistant “extremely uncomfortable and distressed”.

A parliamentary assistant to John Mann, then an MP who now sits in the House of Lords, answered an abusive phone call in September 2018, the court heard. A voicemail referring to Mann said: “Kill yourself. When are you going to have a stroke?”

Mann said Nelson’s constant phone calls meant he could not answer the phone to constituents and added: “I call out racism and anti-Semitism, but the abuse and threats of violence have led to my staff asking me not to do so.”

Nelson, of North Walsham, Norfolk, had previously sent abusive and threatening emails in April 2018 in which he said he was Jewish, the court heard.

He was given a 20-week prison sentence, suspended for one year, in December 2018 after he admitted harassing Jewish then-Labour MPs Luciana Berger and Ruth Smeeth earlier that year.

Defending Nelson, Julian Young said he had “undiagnosed psychiatric difficulties” when the offences took place and is now taking medication and undergoing treatment.

“In a parliamentary democracy, MPs of whatever party and whatever religious belief – and I’m Jewish myself so I know what anti-Semitism is and I’ve suffered it – are entitled to go about their duties on behalf of their constituents without having to face such conduct, and he accepts that,” he said.

Young read out an apology from Nelson to the three politicians on Wednesday.

Deputy Chief Magistrate Tan Ikram said: “I have considered carefully whether I can suspend the sentences and I felt just about able to do so.

“That doesn’t take away the seriousness of the offences. That simply reflects we are now two years down the road, that there have been no further offences and that I see you are now seeking the assistance of a psychiatrist and dealing with issues you say were a feature of your life then.”

Speaking about Nelson’s past conviction, the magistrate added: “I took a very serious view in December 2018.

“I did so then and I do so now because there has been a significant increase in threats made to MPs – threats of violence, threats based on their faith and on race.

“It’s something I have not encountered previously, but over the last couple of years this has become commonplace.”

58 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

This is the most recent one (it's his second conviction).

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nicholas-nelson-jeremy-corbyn-supporter-131529441.html

Other than the title of the article, where is there any mention of him being a Corbyn supporter ?

And I am sure he is not a Labour member.

7 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Other than the title of the article, where is there any mention of him being a Corbyn supporter ?

And I am sure he is not a Labour member.

Dougie specifically requested cases of Labour members, this individual was a Labour member when the offences took place. 

7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

"I'm Jeremy Corbyn and so is my wife"

Ens0QBDWMAILpD9.jpeg

I might have asked this before SD and I'm not saying Corbyn couldn't have dealt with things better (we don't really know what went on but it appears his leadership has to be questioned) but do you think Corbyn is anti-semitic. Just a yes or no is fine. 

Think he was a complete cunt for dragging in innocent staff to his abuse, but other than the swearing the email to Ellman is pretty much spot on  and Hodge has some neck complaining after her performance with Corbyn and her frivolous and disgusting claims of anti-semitism against hundreds of people.

12 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I might have asked this before SD and I'm not saying Corbyn couldn't have dealt with things better (we don't really know what went on but it appears his leadership has to be questioned) but do you think Corbyn is anti-semitic. Just a yes or no is fine. 

Knew it. 

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It doesn’t matter if members leave. It matters who votes for Labour at the election. 

Yep. Also, a lot of the people who engage with surveys and the likes will be motivated to do so and a lot will be Corbyn supporters I imagine, there's a big silent majority out there that don't give a fuck either way and just want a labour government.

I've always voted Labour, my family have always voted Labour, I view them as by far the lesser of two evils. I've never been interested in the party or being in politics. 

When I got my current job I basically had to join the party. I deal with a couple of CLPs and everything I've seen and heard is horrendous. Most ordinary folk can't he arsed going and if they do, pretty quickly they're (very deliberately) put off from going again. 

As a result, the CLP inner workings are dominated by a tight nit group of people, most pro Corbyn still. The top of the party may again be dominated by 'Centrists', I dunno, but at grassroots level it won't be because centrist voters, by definition and by design, can't be doing with the aggro at meetings.

I don't vote in Labour elections (except for the leadership) I don't read Labour list, respond to surveys or read the paraphernalia then send me.

When I leave this job (hopefully soon) I'll continue voting Labour for the reasons above, but will cancel my membership and want absolutely nothing to do with anyone involved in it.

• Upvote 2