You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

11 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Indeed, Corbyn has never been judged. Except by you, most of the country, and the media who relentlessly drummed on about it for years. 

Oh, you mean by his supporters. Yes, that’s how that works. Like it worked with with Nick Clegg who worked for the Gaddiffi apologists and Tim Farron who dedicates large part of his existence to the homophobes. 

Bizarre (and false) claims about Nick Clegg and Tim Farron is such an odd reaction to me pointing out the hypocrisy of others.

And in this instance, it's not even "the company" Phillips keeps, merely people who think this particular rodent smells like a rat and so have publicly leapt to his defence. By this measure, Corbyn would be tainted by David Duke and Nick Griffin, which is apparently ludicrous.

18 minutes ago, moof said:

Imagine being so pathetically bereft of morals that you’d engage in casual racism apologia because of a game of oneupmanship on a football forum. I genuinely pity you  

To paraphrase Magnus "He's started so he'll finish".

59 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Bizarre (and false) claims about Nick Clegg and Tim Farron is such an odd reaction to me pointing out the hypocrisy of others.

And in this instance, it's not even "the company" Phillips keeps, merely people who think this particular rodent smells like a rat and so have publicly leapt to his defence. By this measure, Corbyn would be tainted by David Duke and Nick Griffin, which is apparently ludicrous.

Firstly, they’re not false. Secondly, I’m happy for you to point out hypocrisy. I’m not happy for you to make false statements about Corbyn not being picked up. He is. All the time. On everything. It, just like with Clegg with GJW the publicists for the Libya regime, its glossed over by those who support them. I’m pointing out falsehoods and hypocrisy. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Firstly, they’re not false. Secondly, I’m happy for you to point out hypocrisy. I’m not happy for you to make false statements about Corbyn not being picked up. He is. All the time. On everything. It, just like with Clegg with GJW the publicists for the Libya regime, its glossed over by those who support them. I’m pointing out falsehoods and hypocrisy. 

I think it's right and proper to point out double standards. Clegg had nothing to do with Libya. If he had praised Gaddafi's achievements, like a certain other party leader, then by all means criticise him.

54 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think it's right and proper to point out double standards.

Yes, that's why I pointed out yours. 

54 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Clegg had nothing to do with Libya.

I didn't say he did. I said he worked for apologists. You're either pretending to be obtuse to deflect away from you incorrectly claiming it was a false claim, which it demonstrably is not, or there's something else going on. The entire point isn't that he has connections to something, just like Corbyn. You, the media, and all of his objectors criticise him relentless for these things. This is what this entire conversation was about.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yes, that's why I pointed out yours. 

I didn't say he did. I said he worked for apologists. You're either pretending to be obtuse to deflect away from you incorrectly claiming it was a false claim, which it demonstrably is not, or there's something else going on. The entire point isn't that he has connections to something, just like Corbyn. You, the media, and all of his objectors criticise him relentless for these things. This is what this entire conversation was about.

Yeah, look, I'm not really arsed if Nick Clegg once breathed a molecule of oxygen that was once inhaled by Hitler, or whatever today's synthetic complaint is. I was merely pointing out that Stickman is happy to criticise Trevor Phillips for having the temerity to... er, be defended by media figures he doesn't like, but that he and his ilk would never roll out a guilt-by-association fallacy for a certain hapless party leader. The double standard is his, not mine. 

• Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yeah, look, I'm not really arsed if Nick Clegg once breathed a molecule of oxygen that was once inhaled by Hitler, or whatever today's synthetic complaint is. I was merely pointing out that Stickman is happy to criticise Trevor Phillips for having the temerity to... er, be defended by media figures he doesn't like, but that he and his ilk would never roll out a guilt-by-association fallacy for a certain hapless party leader. The double standard is his, not mine. 

Media figures who actually don’t care about Phillips or his unfounded claims against Muslims if that was the case they’d be reporting the 300 allegations of Tory MP’s who have been reported to the equality watchdog regarding Islamophobia . 
Funny though these same ‘journalists’ didn’t give the same level of support when Labour members have been suspended over allegations of anti-Semitism, they’re just naturally assumed guiltily .

You'll be happy to know you can add Nick Ferrari to the list supporting Trevor although I’m sure he’ll just say it was a poor choice of words 

5 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Does this schoolyard tactic ever actually work. This whole ‘answer a different question and deflect and make silly comments about Hitler’ thing, I mean. It’ll never work for me, because I’m not 14 in age or IQ. I’ll drop it now, because it’s quite clear that you saying that my claim that he worked for the apologists is false was completely wrong. You’ll never admit it and apologise, so I’ll just move along with a final ‘your partisan approach puts you into a position that is at odds with your own expectation of intellectual honesty. You can and should do better’. Up to you though.

• Upvote 1

Imagine if, at any point during the last few years, anyone in the Labour leadership had said "we'd love to suspend people pending investigation of allegations of racism, but, with all the issues currently demanding action from Britain's main opposition party, it's just not a priority."

I'm sure O'Brien would have said "OK, fair enough".

7 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Does this schoolyard tactic ever actually work. This whole ‘answer a different question and deflect and make silly comments about Hitler’ thing, I mean. It’ll never work for me, because I’m not 14 in age or IQ. I’ll drop it now, because it’s quite clear that you saying that my claim that he worked for the apologists is false was completely wrong. You’ll never admit it and apologise, so I’ll just move along with a final ‘your partisan approach puts you into a position that is at odds with your own expectation of intellectual honesty. You can and should do better’. Up to you though.

If you're talking about schoolyard tactics, then perhaps look at your response to me pointing out a double standard, which is to attack me for raising it. I mean, what is that all about?

But look, my bar for "Gaddafi apologist" is set a little higher than someone who worked for a few months as a researcher for a firm while another department there was trying to get Libya sanctions lifted, a link so tenuous it would suck in just about any of us that has ever held a job working for anyone.

In the meantime, can I haul us back on topic, and express my desire that once Labour has expelled lifelong anti-racist Trevor Phillips, it might get around to all those Holocaust deniers.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

If you're talking about schoolyard tactics, then perhaps look at your response to me pointing out a double standard, which is to attack me for raising it. I mean, what is that all about?

But look, my bar for "Gaddafi apologist" is set a little higher than someone who worked for a few months as a researcher for a firm while another department there was trying to get Libya sanctions lifted, a link so tenuous it would suck in just about any of us that has ever held a job working for anyone.

In the meantime, can I haul us back on topic, and express my desire that once Labour has expelled lifelong anti-racist Trevor Phillips, it might get around to all those Holocaust deniers.

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

"All those Holocaust deniers".

If you've got evidence of any, report it to the Labour Party and they will be hoofed out. (Maybe not as quickly and efficiently as would have happened if the Party hadn't caved in to all the anti-Labour liars over the NEC's proposed Code of Conduct, but it will certainly happen.)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/03/2020 at 09:52, Strontium Dog™ said:

Just seen this. 

I‘ll answer now. 

What it isn’t about is ‘attacking you’ for ‘pointing out a double standard’, so you can stove that line of bullshit. What it is about, as I’ve already told you, is pointing out your double standard. You made a daft claim about people giving Corbyn a pass. I pointed out that it was nonsense, unless you are only referring to his supporters. I said - and this is where your own double standard comes in, which judging by your previous comment you should be glad I’m pointing out - that the same is true of you and Farron and Clegg. You then went on to claim what I said about Clegg was false, which is a lie, and ignored what I said about Farron. This quite wonderfully demonstrates your double standard. You were criticising double standards with a double standard. That’s pretty hypocritical, something you previously claimed never to have been. 

But look, my bar for "Gaddafi apologist" is set a little higher than someone who worked for a few months as a researcher 

I’m going to stop you there. You’re attempting the schoolyard trick again. I didn’t say Clegg was an apologist. I said he worked for one. That’s the second time you’ve tried to do this. First time I can accept as a mistake, but I pointed it out. This is highly dishonest.