You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Corbyn has worked for years in the House of Commons, sharing a workplace with anti-Semitic cunts; therefore, by association, he must be a raging anti-Semite. 

https://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/Antisemitism/John-Bercow-says-antisemitism-is-a-conservative-issue-not-a-Labour-one-616434

It’s not just the blatant lies and dishonesty it’s the muppets who lap it all up as truth. Read the comments section on the daily mail article about RLB calling someone with Brain Damage “a vegetable” you’d think they weren’t aware that their own leader called Muslim women letterboxes. Hypocrisy and bullshit. Evil stupid cunts 

• 1 month later...

Twat should have been suspended for that Islamophobic hatchet job he did for Panorama, in which he surveyed a section of British Muslims who are most likely to have traditional/conservative religious and cultural views and then extrapolated to all British Muslims.

• Upvote 1

Horrible cunt should have been kicked out over this....

Trevor Phillips accuses Liverpool of ‘wallowing in self-pity' after controversial column in The Sun, Kelvin MacKenzie says

Former equalities commissioner Trevor Phillips has accused the city of Liverpool of “wallowing in victim status”, and defended Kelvin MacKenzie after he compared Everton player Ross Barkley to a gorilla, according to The Sun columnist.

Mr MacKenzie said he received a text from Mr Phillips in which he said he had no idea the player was “a brother” after the England midfielder revealed his grandfather is Nigerian.

The controversial columnist is currently suspended by News UK for expressing his views about Liverpudlians in an opinion piece earlier this month, which the paper called “wrong” and “unfunny” despite printing it.

Writing in The Spectator, Mr MacKenzie, who used to edit The Sun, said that following the furore, he was surprised not to be branded a racist by Mr Phillips, who chaired the Equality and Human Rights Commission for nine years.

But he claimed Mr Phillip’s text said: “WTF? I have to confess I had no idea Berkley was a brother. Sad to see a great city wallowing in victim status. Unbelievable.”

Mr Phillips, who has previously spoken of the need for free speech to “allow people to offend each other”, has so far declined to comment on the allegation.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/trevor-phillips-accuses-liverpool-wallowing-self-pity-kelvin-mackenzie-column-ross-barkley-a7706596.html

He sounds like Rico here:

‘Muslims are not a race’, says Trevor Phillips

The former head of the nation’s equalities watchdog had plenty to say about on his suspension by Labour on his BBC Today programme appearance. Phillips accused the party of attempting to stifle debate among members on the topic of Islamophobia.

He said the party had sent him an 11-page letter and told him he was forbidden from publishing the details of his suspension.

Phillips told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “Let us be clear about this. They say I’m accusing Muslims of being different. Well, actually, that’s true. Muslims are different and, in many ways, I think that’s admirable."

The 66-year-old said it was “nonsense” to define being anti-Islam as racist, arguing that Muslims do not identify as a race. He has in the past rallied against the All-Party Parliamentary Group on British Muslims’ move to define Islamophobia - a definition adopted by the Labour party.

The anti-racism campaigner told the BBC: “My objection is very simple. That definition said, to words of the effect, that Islamophobia is rooted in a kind of racism - expressions of hostility towards Muslimness.

“First of all, Muslims are not a race. My personal hero was Muhammad Ali, before that Malcolm X. They became Muslims largely because it is a pan-racial faith. This is not a racial grouping, so describing hostility to them as racial is nonsense.”

Asked about his assertion that British Muslims are “becoming a nation within a nation” being adopted by far-right campaigner Tommy Robinson, Phillips replied: “As my grandmother says, just because the devil picks up a tune doesn't mean it is a bad tune.”

27 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

The former head of the nation’s equalities watchdog had plenty to say about on his suspension by Labour on his BBC Today programme appearance. Phillips accused the party of attempting to stifle debate among members on the topic of Islamophobia.

He said the party had sent him an 11-page letter and told him he was forbidden from publishing the details of his suspension.

Phillips told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “Let us be clear about this. They say I’m accusing Muslims of being different. Well, actually, that’s true. Muslims are different and, in many ways, I think that’s admirable."

The 66-year-old said it was “nonsense” to define being anti-Islam as racist, arguing that Muslims do not identify as a race. He has in the past rallied against the All-Party Parliamentary Group on British Muslims’ move to define Islamophobia - a definition adopted by the Labour party.

The anti-racism campaigner told the BBC: “My objection is very simple. That definition said, to words of the effect, that Islamophobia is rooted in a kind of racism - expressions of hostility towards Muslimness.

“First of all, Muslims are not a race. My personal hero was Muhammad Ali, before that Malcolm X. They became Muslims largely because it is a pan-racial faith. This is not a racial grouping, so describing hostility to them as racial is nonsense.”

Asked about his assertion that British Muslims are “becoming a nation within a nation” being adopted by far-right campaigner Tommy Robinson, Phillips replied: “As my grandmother says, just because the devil picks up a tune doesn't mean it is a bad tune.”

Pesky facts.  

The hypocrisy on display from the great and the good is quite breath taking. 

Apparently it is wrong to just suspend someone and not give them the right to reply or to even let them see why they have been suspended. 

Obviously anyone defending somebody accused of being Islamophobia is not immediately called  Islamophobic. 

According to Tory Oliver Letwin it is not about what he says but about his motivation, now Fraser Nelson is defending him, so all good. 

It's good to get clarity on the issue. 

Criticism of an apartheid state and the political ideology that brought about its formation, which has now been deformed from its initial purpose into a vehicle for war crimes = bad, racism. 

But, fairly vile criticism of a wide demographic of people = fair comment, freedom of speech, innit. 

The whole "othering" of Jewish people has been put forward on this forum as a form of antisemitism. The words of Philips in describing Muslims as "different" and "a nation within a nation" are clearly tantamount to "othering." 

It's sheer hypocrisy to claim that "othering" of one group is bad while playing down the "othering" of another group. And, the whole "it's not racist cos Islam ain't a race" is really puerile, EDL level stuff. 

Somebody has obviously lodged a complaint against Philips and it's been held that he has a case to answer to. He needs to stop playing the victim and realise that his dog whistling can have the same effect that stuff like Boris Johnson's "letter box" comments did. It all adds to the anti-Muslim narrative. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Ah the old "my heroes were black" defence.

The party’s investigation of me for alleged Islamophobia shows it’s becoming an authoritarian cult
Trevor Phillips
Monday March 09 2020, 12.01am, The Times

Tyranny is often represented as the pounding of a fist on the door in the middle of the night. In fact, in my short time as chairman of the free speech charity Index on Censorship, I have learnt that many people living under authoritarian regimes first encounter it in the dry language of a bureaucrat’s warning: recant, repent, denounce your fellow deviants and you may save your livelihood. Your soul may, just, escape damnation.

When I glanced at the 11-page letter sent to me recently by the Labour Party, the phrase “administrative suspension” grabbed my attention. These words signal banishment from a community that I have inhabited for decades: friends, colleagues, even family may be compelled to shun me. Significantly, my indictment concerns matters of faith, doctrine and dissent. It is written, not in the language of a democratic, open political movement but in the cold-eyed, accusatory prose of the zealot. In essence, after more than 30 years of promoting the Labour cause, I am accused of heresy, and threatened with excommunication.

Last year a cross-party parliamentary group proposed that “Islamophobia” should be defined in broad terms as a “kind of racism” hostile to “Muslimness”. In a pamphlet for the Policy Exchange think tank, I responded that Islam is not owned by any ethnic group and that Muslims are not a race. Worse, the undefined concept “Muslimness” implies that all adherents agree on doctrine, dress and behaviours: it’s the far-left equivalent of the racist cliché “they all look the same to me”. It was therefore only a matter of time before this “definition” would lead to the persecution of dissidents. But I never imagined that I would be one of its first victims.

Labour’s threat to expel me has been drawn up in secret and my fate will be decided in absentia. I am forbidden from repeating the charges but I can reflect on what is not alleged. There is no suggestion I have done anything unlawful or offended any individual. All my “sins” can be seen by anyone who can use Google.

It doesn’t take much effort to accuse anyone who has tried, like me, to expose the poison in identity politics. Each year, an Iranian-backed, LGBT-hating extremist group publishes a list of alleged “Islamophobes”. It has featured Barack Obama, the journalist Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, the slain staff of Charlie Hebdo — and me. Peter Tatchell, the human rights campaigner, joked that he was offended at being left out.

My 2016 essay “Race and Faith: The Deafening Silence” observed that many men involved in the grooming and sexual abuse of children in towns such as Rotherham, as exposed by The Times, came from Pakistani-Muslim backgrounds. This was branded prejudice by some — but surely honest journalism, unburdened by fear of causing offence, should be beyond contention? And even though I described Enoch Powell’s “Rivers of Blood” speech in the same essay as “a ghastly testament to the power of unbridled free speech”, I was accused of racism by some for merely mentioning his name.

Readers will appreciate my perplexity. I am a person of colour, with a family heritage of Fulani and Mandinka Muslims going back 1,000 years until ripped apart by transatlantic slavery. Some of my relatives have made the return journey to embrace Islam. It also seems peculiar to make an example of someone who introduced the term “Islamophobia” to British politics by commissioning the Runnymede Trust’s 1997 report on the issue; and who then, as head of the Commission for Racial Equality, worked closely with Labour on the Racial and Religious Hatred Act 2006 that protects Muslims from incitement.

No one inside or outside the Labour Party has ever suggested that I have broken any rules. I have never been “no-platformed”. In the final week of the 2019 election campaign, I even celebrated the 40th anniversary of the Sickle Cell Society alongside one of Jeremy Corbyn’s closest allies, Dawn Butler. She has known me for decades — would she really have agreed to appear on stage with a bigot?

So what accounts for this extraordinary turn of events? Some will see it as payback by Corbynistas for public criticisms I made of the leadership’s failure to tackle antisemitism in the party. Another possibility is that it’s an attempt to scare the Equality and Human Rights Commission, which I used to lead and which is investigating Labour’s handling of antisemitism. Weaponising Islamophobia to attack political opponents may seem like clever tactics but trying to intimidate a legally independent organisation is pure political gangsterism. Perhaps someone in Labour HQ has been reading up on the Inquisition’s methods; in 1578, one official defined its purpose thus: “That others may become terrified and weaned away from the evils they would commit.”

I accept that I may not share all the views of Labour’s current leader or even of the majority of members. But I have never belonged to any other party and I have stuck by it through thick and thin. If this is how Labour treats its own family, how might it treat its real opponents if it ever gains power again? It would be a tragedy if, at the very moment we most need a robust and effective opposition, our nation had to endure the spectacle of a great party collapsing into a brutish, authoritarian cult.

53 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The party’s investigation of me for alleged Islamophobia shows it’s becoming an authoritarian cult
Trevor Phillips
Monday March 09 2020, 12.01am, The Times

Tyranny is often represented as the pounding of a fist on the door in the middle of the night. In fact, in my short time as chairman of the free speech charity Index on Censorship, I have learnt that many people living under authoritarian regimes first encounter it in the dry language of a bureaucrat’s warning: recant, repent, denounce your fellow deviants and you may save your livelihood. Your soul may, just, escape damnation.

When I glanced at the 11-page letter sent to me recently by the Labour Party, the phrase “administrative suspension” grabbed my attention. These words signal banishment from a community that I have inhabited for decades: friends, colleagues, even family may be compelled to shun me. Significantly, my indictment concerns matters of faith, doctrine and dissent. It is written, not in the language of a democratic, open political movement but in the cold-eyed, accusatory prose of the zealot. In essence, after more than 30 years of promoting the Labour cause, I am accused of heresy, and threatened with excommunication.

Last year a cross-party parliamentary group proposed that “Islamophobia” should be defined in broad terms as a “kind of racism” hostile to “Muslimness”. In a pamphlet for the Policy Exchange think tank, I responded that Islam is not owned by any ethnic group and that Muslims are not a race. Worse, the undefined concept “Muslimness” implies that all adherents agree on doctrine, dress and behaviours: it’s the far-left equivalent of the racist cliché “they all look the same to me”. It was therefore only a matter of time before this “definition” would lead to the persecution of dissidents. But I never imagined that I would be one of its first victims.

Labour’s threat to expel me has been drawn up in secret and my fate will be decided in absentia. I am forbidden from repeating the charges but I can reflect on what is not alleged. There is no suggestion I have done anything unlawful or offended any individual. All my “sins” can be seen by anyone who can use Google.

It doesn’t take much effort to accuse anyone who has tried, like me, to expose the poison in identity politics. Each year, an Iranian-backed, LGBT-hating extremist group publishes a list of alleged “Islamophobes”. It has featured Barack Obama, the journalist Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, the slain staff of Charlie Hebdo — and me. Peter Tatchell, the human rights campaigner, joked that he was offended at being left out.

My 2016 essay “Race and Faith: The Deafening Silence” observed that many men involved in the grooming and sexual abuse of children in towns such as Rotherham, as exposed by The Times, came from Pakistani-Muslim backgrounds. This was branded prejudice by some — but surely honest journalism, unburdened by fear of causing offence, should be beyond contention? And even though I described Enoch Powell’s “Rivers of Blood” speech in the same essay as “a ghastly testament to the power of unbridled free speech”, I was accused of racism by some for merely mentioning his name.

Readers will appreciate my perplexity. I am a person of colour, with a family heritage of Fulani and Mandinka Muslims going back 1,000 years until ripped apart by transatlantic slavery. Some of my relatives have made the return journey to embrace Islam. It also seems peculiar to make an example of someone who introduced the term “Islamophobia” to British politics by commissioning the Runnymede Trust’s 1997 report on the issue; and who then, as head of the Commission for Racial Equality, worked closely with Labour on the Racial and Religious Hatred Act 2006 that protects Muslims from incitement.

No one inside or outside the Labour Party has ever suggested that I have broken any rules. I have never been “no-platformed”. In the final week of the 2019 election campaign, I even celebrated the 40th anniversary of the Sickle Cell Society alongside one of Jeremy Corbyn’s closest allies, Dawn Butler. She has known me for decades — would she really have agreed to appear on stage with a bigot?

So what accounts for this extraordinary turn of events? Some will see it as payback by Corbynistas for public criticisms I made of the leadership’s failure to tackle antisemitism in the party. Another possibility is that it’s an attempt to scare the Equality and Human Rights Commission, which I used to lead and which is investigating Labour’s handling of antisemitism. Weaponising Islamophobia to attack political opponents may seem like clever tactics but trying to intimidate a legally independent organisation is pure political gangsterism. Perhaps someone in Labour HQ has been reading up on the Inquisition’s methods; in 1578, one official defined its purpose thus: “That others may become terrified and weaned away from the evils they would commit.”

I accept that I may not share all the views of Labour’s current leader or even of the majority of members. But I have never belonged to any other party and I have stuck by it through thick and thin. If this is how Labour treats its own family, how might it treat its real opponents if it ever gains power again? It would be a tragedy if, at the very moment we most need a robust and effective opposition, our nation had to endure the spectacle of a great party collapsing into a brutish, authoritarian cult

Good to see Rupert Murdoch coming to Trevor's aide by letting him put this in one of his rags...Although seeing as he also writes for The Sun that's hardly surprising

Fraser Nelson a man who is an expert on racism seeing as he employs Rod Liddle is also banging the drum for Trev as is Allison Pearson, Dan Hodges , Toby Young, Brendan O'Neil ...What is it they say judge a man by the company he keeps

https://zelo-street.blogspot.com/2020/03/trevor-phillips-doth-protest-too-much.html

Saw this cunt on a BBC Politics before the election & couldn't believe he was supposed to be the Labour guy on the panel. Even the nominally right-wing panel members seemed to be a bit shocked by his calling calls for Johnson investigating Tory Islamophobia a joke , and turning every question raised around to anti-semitism into Labour party. 

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

With one glaringly obvious exception, of course.

Indeed, Corbyn has never been judged. Except by you, most of the country, and the media who relentlessly drummed on about it for years. 

Oh, you mean by his supporters. Yes, that’s how that works. Like it worked with with Nick Clegg who worked for the Gaddiffi apologists and Tim Farron who dedicates large part of his existence to the homophobes. 

• Upvote 1