You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

7 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Corbyn not stepping that immediately, is this significant? Will there now be a new struggle over the direction of the party, so, could he be staying to help fight off unwanted challengers? Will Corbynistas now be under fire like never before, or have they already made sure that the grip on the party is firm enough?

There is always a struggle for the direction of the Labour party, SasaS.

I think there was widespread agreement that Ed Miliband's immediate resignation left the party in a bit of a shambles , so I think Corbyn talking about January is a response to that , but other than maybe giving his backing to one candidate or other he has no real control of an election as it is governed by the rules.

One of the things I have not got round to researching is whether the balance of left / right in the PLP has been significantly altered by new people elected and the reduction in numbers. In 2016 the NEC reduced the percentage of required MP's to back a candidate to 10% , so anybody would need 21 or so to get on the ballot.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I was just about to post that! Pretty much backs up my idea that pinning the blame on Corbyn personally and not Labour's policies is the way forward out of this mess for the party.

The Corbyn smears have been by far the most successful concerted media campaign of this century 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, moof said:

Of course we will still blame the media, the media has an overwhelming role in ensuring the prevailing orthodoxies can continue operating as they do.

“White guilt” lol. Alright buddy, sounds like some solid historical perspective you’ve got going on there

"White guilt" is an Americanism, "imperial guilt"? Whatever you want to call it, the tendency to blame everything wrong in the world currently to something Imperial Britain or France or the US had done in the past.

1 minute ago, neopulian said:

"White guilt" is an Americanism, "imperial guilt"? Whatever you want to call it, the tendency to blame everything wrong in the world currently to something Imperial Britain or France had done in the past.

Did Corbyn do that , I only heard him condemning relatively recent wars and suggesting we did not jump every time the US asked us to.

8 minutes ago, moof said:

The Corbyn smears have been by far the most successful concerted media campaign of this century 

The self fulfilling prophecy poll. 

If people are told a lie often enough, it might leak into their brain and influence their beliefs. 

"Jeremy Corbyn is a terrorist sympathiser." 

"Jeremy Corbyn IS a terrorist sympathiser!" 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Jurgen Klopp 2024 will romp home and kick Johnson's fucking head in.

The perfect leader.

I actually think Labour need a consultant where every single decision goes through him or her including any campaign decisions.

Maybe not popular on here but I'd go with Alastair Campbell, who's ridiculously intelligence and has his finger on the pulse.

More importantly he knows and has the experience of what's needed to win an election.

Those Novara media gimps need fucking off ASAP. Smug, self-satisfied dickheads who represent everything thats wrong with the party at the moment.

Labour are fucked, haven't represented the working class for awhile now and something has finally given. Without Scotland as well, I don't know what the point of this party is anymore. Just seems to exist in it's own little echo chamber where they jerk each other off over their own perceived moral purity. Grim times ahead.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Gooch said:

Those Novara media gimps need fucking off ASAP. Smug, self-satisfied dickheads who represent everything thats wrong with the party at the moment.

Labour are fucked, haven't represented the working class for awhile now and something has finally given. Without Scotland as well, I don't know what the point of this party is anymore. Just seems to exist in it's own little echo chamber where they jerk each other off over their own perceived moral purity. Grim times ahead.

Nah, bang wrong that. We need to be building up alternative institutions and independent media. Novara are doing a good job 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, moof said:

Nah, bang wrong that. We need to be building up alternative institutions and independent media. Novara are doing a good job 

I get what you mean, but they seem to end up being just echo chambers that serve a niche audience.

As for them doing a good job, I'll have to disagree completely. They are hopelessly out of touch with reality and are up to their eyes in this mess. Now shilling their own platform off the back of a shitstorm that they helped create. They seem to lack any sense of self-reflection/awareness, probably due to their heads being so far up their own arse.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Gooch said:

I get what you mean, but they seem to end up being just echo chambers that serve a niche audience.

As for them doing a good job, I'll have to disagree completely. They are hopelessly out of touch with reality and are up to their eyes in this mess. Now shilling their own platform off the back of a shitstorm that they helped create. They seem to lack any sense of self-reflection/awareness, probably due to their heads being so far up their own arse.

Yeah, you might be right about that. It’s awkward because the current landscape makes it so difficult for any independent media outlets to gain traction, and they seem to have a decent foundation. Still lots of work to be done of course and they have made clear mistakes 

They're part of a slick media operation coordinated by Corbyn's office largely via WhatsApp which also includes activists and outlets like Owen Jones, Rachael Swindon, The Canary, Skwawkbox, Evolve Politics, Another Angry Voice etc. It's not exactly a secret and reams of stuff has been written about it. Corbyn's office often sends them along in place of "official" Labour figures for TV or radio appearances.

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

They're part of a slick media operation coordinated by Corbyn's office largely via WhatsApp which also includes activists and outlets like Owen Jones, Rachael Swindon, The Canary, Skwawkbox, Evolve Politics, Another Angry Voice etc. It's not exactly a secret and reams of stuff has been written about it. Corbyn's office often sends them along in place of "official" Labour figures for TV or radio appearances.

You’re a fucking idiot