You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

2 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I didn't realise Laura Pidcock had lost her seat. What the fuck is wrong with people?

I'm going to make a concerted effort to avoid politics until 2020!

For the best mate. Last thing your mum needs is some weird cunt panting down the phone to her when she is trying to wrap your socks. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He has inadvertently done it today. Ignore him, he is a worthless piece of shit on the GF. 

As an aside, if you’re ever bored, searching stronty’s name alongside “Gaza” is pretty amusing. Just to put this new principled pro Palestinian stance into context. 

ah well, it’s not really important considering recent events. 

58 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

That’s not really fair mate. Obviously there are red lines, but the best position to influence anything in that conflict, to help the Palestinians, is when you’re in government. The priority for the Labour Party should always be the people they’re representing. I just think at the moment, it’s very toxic on that front, and one ‘low-hanging fruit’ to immediately stop the furore, is to pick a leader who isn’t campaigning as openly for Palestinian rights at the same time as trying to win an election. I don’t know... maybe I’m chatting shit.

I wouldn't say chatting shit as such. 

I don't think he is campaigning openly as such. 

He has long history as we all know and his support for Palestine has been amongst it, as has his support for stop the war and the "would you blow up the world" question he got repeatedly asked in 2017. 

The blow up question got asked again, as we know Jo was actively looking forward to it, but the Greens, Plyd and SNP were actively against, hence it couldn't gain the traction of Corbyn being a extreme nutcase, when the majority of the panel held the same view. 

If antisemitism had not gained traction and the not wanting to kill millions had, that would have been the focus of the smears. They went with some of the not good for the security of the country, but would have really focused their attacks if they thought it would work against him. 

My long winded point being, the antisemitism obviously worked better amongst the focus groups, so that is what they went with repeatedly. If they didn't think it was working they would have moved on to the next smear in the list. 

The issue/problem with get someone from the LFI or someone without his history is it is irrelevant, imo, as if there is nothing to attack the person they will make something up. Then when you say it is rubbish, you are attacked for denying the issue. 

I repeat it often but let us not forget that Ed Milibands dad was "The man who hated Britain", basically because his son wanted to impose a two year price cap on energy companies. It was total bollocks of cause but it was brought and ran with, it didn't gain traction so they moved on to next next devastating attack of he eats a bacon butty funny. 

Maureen Lipman,

despite being a life long Labour supporter couldn't vote for Corbyn because of his views.

Maureen Lipman,

despite being a life long Labour supporter couldn't vote for Miliband because of his views. 

In an article in Standpoint magazine, Ms Lipman condemned Mr Miliband for supporting a House of Commons motion to recognise Palestine as a state.

If only Miliband had not been campaigning openly for Palestinian rights.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, moof said:

As an aside, if you’re ever bored, searching stronty’s name alongside “Gaza” is pretty amusing. Just to put this new principled pro Palestinian stance into context.

Yes, I would urge everyone to do this if they have time. In fact, I've done the search for you and you can just click below. Then try to tell me my stance has altered over the years.

https://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/index.php?/search/&q=gaza&author=Strontium Dog™

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yes, I would urge everyone to do this if they have time. In fact, I've done the search for you and you can just click below. Then try to tell me my stance has altered over the years.

Are you relying on the fact that nobody is going to click that to save your face, here? Just bizarre behaviour. 

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

No-ones arsed lad. You know what you did. 

Just now, moof said:

Are you relying on the fact that nobody is going to click that to save your face, here? Just bizarre behaviour. 

No, I'm fervently hoping people do click on it. I wouldn't have saved them the effort of going to the search function etc if I didn't want them to look.

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Oh the days when I'd have spent an hour quoting every dodgy thing ever said, just to make a point and be ignored. We need a new super-bore, but I fear those days shall never return. Tory Britain.

Yeah it certainly feels incredibly hollow. But make no mistake the repositioning as staunchly pro Palestinian rights is hideously dishonest on his part. I’ll leave it now because who actually gives a fuck? 

2 minutes ago, moof said:

Yeah it certainly feels incredibly hollow. But make no mistake the repositioning as staunchly pro Palestinian rights is hideously dishonest on his part. I’ll leave it now because who actually gives a fuck? 

Yeah, it will be like that I suspect should Moran get in. Still, better late than never. 

Corbyn not stepping that immediately, is this significant? Will there now be a new struggle over the direction of the party, so, could he be staying to help fight off unwanted challengers? Will Corbynistas now be under fire like never before, or have they already made sure that the grip on the party is firm enough?

10 minutes ago, moof said:

I've been "repositioning" myself since 2007...

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2007 at 18:26, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think you are right about other Arab countries exploiting the Palestinians; I think they treat them with as much contempt as the Israelis do.

I don't think Labour are going to move forward much if the left blame the right for everything, and the right blame the left for everything.

On a personal basis, the only bonus for me will be re-establishing my sleep patterns as since Corbyn's election I have got far more involved in politics again with my head often swimming for hours and blood-pressure levels rising significantly. Whoever takes over the Labour party will get my support to a greater or lesser measure depending on their platform, but I will ensure that I don't invest as much emotional output.

My only hope for the poor and ill in society is that the level of majority that Johnson has been given and his seeming need to be loved will allow him to marginalise the lunatics in his party and prove me wrong by actually coming out of austerity with at least some ideas to help people other than his chums.

The rejection of Corbyn wasn't a surprise, what telling was how total and final it was. He and his devotees will continue to blame the media for this humiliation, but two flaws of his had made this fiasco quite inevitable, IMO: 1. Brexit means Brexit. After 4 years of unrelenting infighting and going in circles, the general public just want it done. Corbyn chose to sit on the fence. To be fair, in his estimation, the Tories would self-immolate over the impossible issue, leaving him as the only game in town -- and it had nearly worked, the period between the end of May and beginning of Johnson was a rough storm that nearly wrecked HMS Tories. 2. "Blame the west first" politics don't work outside far-left and certain trust-fund babies echo chambers. To the average Joes and Janes, white guilt was not a luxury they could afford; and to immigrants like your truly who had a longer and wider historical perspective than "imperialism is terrible" and "colonialism sucked" -- it's intellectually bankrupted horseshit. The general public simply do not want people with suspected patriotism to be their leader.

If Corbyn were an academic or a priest, I would have respected him. As it was, good riddance to the useless bastard.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, neopulian said:

The rejection of Corbyn wasn't a surprise, what telling was how total and final it was. He and his devotees will continue to blame the media for this humiliation, but two flaws of his had made this fiasco quite inevitable, IMO: 1. Brexit means Brexit. After 4 years of unrelenting infighting and going in circles, the general public just want it done. Corbyn chose to sit on the fence. To be fair, in his estimation, the Tories would self-immolate over the impossible issue, leaving him as the only game in town -- and it had nearly worked, the period between the end of May and beginning of Johnson was a rough storm that nearly wrecked HMS Tories. 2. "Blame the west first" politics don't work outside far-left and certain trust-fund babies echo chambers. To the average Joes and Janes, white guilt was not a luxury they could afford; and to immigrants like your truly who had a longer and wider historical perspective than "imperialism is terrible" and "colonialism sucked" -- it's intellectually bankrupted horseshit. The general public simply do not want people with suspected patriotism to be their leader.

If Corbyn were an academic or a priest, I would have respected him. As it was, good riddance to the useless bastard.

Of course we will still blame the media, the media has an overwhelming role in ensuring the prevailing orthodoxies can continue operating as they do.

“White guilt” lol. Alright buddy, sounds like some solid historical perspective you’ve got going on there

• Upvote 1