You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

25.4 And? The artist has outlined who the mural portrays. 1 or 2 of the real figures portrayed in the mural are Jewish. The rest aren't. It's entirely possible that a quick glance at a condensed image of the mural wouldn't reveal anything offensive. 

25.5 Louise Ellman also attended this event. Hajo Meyer actually makes a nuanced and specific comparison of early, pre-Holocaust Nazi Germany to Israel, as outlined in his book The End of Judaism: An Ethical Tradition Betrayed. 

The JLM submissions don't mention this and try to suggest/imply that Meyer is making a comparison between Israel and the Nazi end game - the Holocaust. 

Screenshot_20191205_125556.jpg

Section 31. 

Titled denial. It's more a case of disputing. Apparently, disputing claims of inherent antisemitism in the Labour Party is not allowed. 

Some of these submissions are bad to read (the bit about online abuse, particularly). But, some of them are absolutely off the wall crazy too. 

This bit of the report mentions that there were over 1000 unresolved complaints at one point. Where these Hodge's massive dossier, which included many cases that didn't involve Labour members? If so, why doesn't this also get mentioned in the submissions? 

I've had a quick read through the full report. 

It's evident that there is still vast room for improvement with how the party deals with complaints of antisemitism. The speed, the openness, the consistency and uniformity of the process. Some of the complaints seem to centre around leniency of sanction. A valid concern. But, I maintain my stance that suspension and revocation of membership may not always be the right approach, irrespective of whatever form of discrimination is involved. Sometimes a warning of conduct and a process of education might be appropriate and may also be more beneficial to help tackle discrimination and prevent further instances of it. 

The submissions seem to take umbrage with the launching of disciplinary proceedings against Margaret Hodge and Ian Austin for speaking out against antisemitism. They weren't subject to proceedings for that. That's another twisting of the truth. They were disciplined for abusive conduct. 

Also, I'd have to double check to see if some of the allegations are cross referenced to and backed up by the statement of a named complainant/witness, but I noticed that the unredacted footnotes refer to statements by "Anonymous 1."

If this is just a statement from a random, unidentified person, then surely this would be of no evidential weight whatsoever. 

I'd say that these submissions, if accurate, have changed my mind slightly. I'm still of the position that antisemitism exists in the Labour Party but that it doesn't do so on a wide scale or over and above the numbers, generally, in society. But, the submissions don't paint a good picture in terms of how the complaints have been handled. I don't think that this is down to some underlying inherent antisemitism or an unwillingness to take complaints seriously. But, rather, that it's down to a degree of incompetence and unpreparedness to deal with the complaints, which hasn't been helped by a vast amount of complaints being submitted over which the internal process has no jurisdiction (i.e. Non Labour Party members) or which were not antisemitic in the first place. It also doesn't help that the IHRA definition isn't really fit for purpose. 

• Upvote 1

The Campaign Against Antisemitism is also having a rally on Sunday which will probably be in the news as well. They recently did a poll with YouGov that suggested antisemitism is worse on the left than it is on the right, some of the flaws on that are explained here : https://jamiesternweiner.wordpress.com/2019/12/03/fake-campaign-against-antisemitism/

The Jewish Chronicle went with the recent poll to attack Corbyn too, here they are trashing some of their previous work though : https://www.thejc.com/comment/analysis/the-caa-poll-debate-these-figures-are-not-to-be-trusted-1.64697

I've always been a bit ambivalent about John McDonnell I still am but he comes across okay in his interviews. I think it might just be it's rare to see interviews where the interviewee is confident in their answers, could be bullshit answers for all i know but not tripping over their own tongues because they believe the bullshit.

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I've always been a bit ambivalent about John McDonnell I still am but he comes across okay in his interviews. I think it might just be it's rare to see interviews where the interviewee is confident in their answers, could be bullshit answers for all i know but not tripping over their own tongues because they believe the bullshit.

I remember being shocked soon after Corbyn became leader that someone was actually espousing Labour rhetoric and calling for an end to austerity in public. After Miliband and Balls' craven bullshit, it was like a breath of fresh air.

I like McDonnell but have not been impressed at his siding firmly on the Remain side. Looking at the Labour spread of voters it seems to have been politically dumb and think Corbyn and the membership motions have been more astute than him, Watson , Starmer  and the awful Thornberry.

That was all just an elaborate ruse so that he can sneak into power and begin the 4th Reich, but with a Communist twist), then after the next election the tories can get themselves back into business, say that the camps are awful and privatise them as there is simply no way for a state run ethnic cleansing program to be run efficiently.

It's simply all part of his massive evil master plan. 

Either that or he's actually against people being persecuted and the anti semitism claims are all bull shit, but that seems hard to believe. 

Just now, Rico1304 said:

I'm sure an American politician in the middle of campaigning has had time to view all the evidence and is speaking from authority. 

I'm sure lefties here would be happy to accept that Trump is not a racist if we could find some black people who said he wasn't. 

• Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I'm sure an American politician in the middle of campaigning has had time to view all the evidence and is speaking from authority. 

13 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I'm sure lefties here would be happy to accept that Trump is not a racist if we could find some black people who said he wasn't. 

Leave Jill alone meanies, she knows the score. Those posts were really close together too, you've been busted. You're one person using two accounts and I claim my 5 pounds.

8 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Didn’t IPSO establish that all of the stuff JC published to smear Corbyn was bogus? Or are they anti-semites too perhaps? lol

Everyone that doesn't agree with Rico (well, the views he parrots from a podcast or Twitter) is antisemitic or an enabler of antisemitism. Because he really cares about Jews, you know. You just have to look how often he battled against antisemitism on her and on his Twitter before Corbyn to see how much he actually gives a single fuck. 

9 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Everyone that doesn't agree with Rico (well, the views he parrots from a podcast or Twitter) is antisemitic or an enabler of antisemitism. Because he really cares about Jews, you know. You just have to look how often he battled against antisemitism on her and on his Twitter before Corbyn to see how much he actually gives a single fuck. 

Matron!!

image.png