You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

5 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

The only thing to be worried about is the fact if Corbyn got in there wouldn't be as many innocent brown people dying. 

I'm interested in how you reconcile that with Corbyn's long history of opposing military intervention to stop innocent brown people from being killed.

Just now, Istvan Kuntstain said:

pretty sure I seen a picture of him opposing apartheid. Care to give some examples.

Well, let's take Kosovo, which I mentioned earlier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Jeremy_Corbyn#Kosovo

Corbyn opposed the 1999 NATO intervention in Kosovo and in 2004 signed an Early Day motion which praised John Pilger for his "expose" of the "fraudulent justifications for intervening in a 'genocide' that never really existed" during the buildup to the Kosovo War.

It worries me that if we find ourselves in a similar situation again, where we need to use British forces to prevent a genocide, that Prime Minister Corbyn won't endorse the necessary action.

Just now, Istvan Kuntstain said:

pretty sure I seen a picture of him opposing apartheid. Care to give some examples.

Opposing the nato bombing campaign in Kosovo. Could be argued from a certain standpoint that it was a justified campaign based on the crimes of the Yugoslav government but I’m pretty sure Corbyn’s opposition was more “let’s find a peaceable solution that doesn’t involve bombing the shit out of people” rather than “fuck the Kosovo people let them be genocided” but whatever. That’s the today agenda. His principled opposition to war and violence is actually, you know, he’s evil or something 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

It worries me that if we find ourselves in a similar situation again, where we need to use British forces to prevent a genocide, that Prime Minister Corbyn won't endorse the necessary action.

It needs to be balanced with the fact that hundreds of thousands of Iraqi and Afghan children’s blood wouldn’t have been on his hands, I guess. 

1 minute ago, moof said:

Opposing the nato bombing campaign in Kosovo. Could be argued from a certain standpoint that it was a justified campaign based on the crimes of the Yugoslav government but I’m pretty sure Corbyn’s opposition was more “let’s find a peaceable solution that doesn’t involve bombing the shit out of people” rather than “fuck the Kosovo people let them be genocided” but whatever. That’s the today agenda. His principled opposition to war and violence is actually, you know, he’s evil or something 

Depends how you want to spin it. A decent honest human being would know it is the first example but a sanctimonious, point scoring gobshite would post to the second one. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It needs to be balanced with the fact that hundreds of thousands of Iraqi and Afghan children’s blood wouldn’t have been on his hands, I guess. 

For that I think we can only blame the party who was in power at the time. Just jog my memory on that one again?

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I wonder if Corbyn would sanction military action against the genocide being committed by the Israelis ? Hmm.... food for though eh SD. 

Oh and Dua Lipa still isn't Kosovan. 

She is however seriously up there in my top 10. New Entry. 

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

For that I think we can only blame the party who was in power at the time. Just jog my memory on that one again?

New Labour. I think we can’t only blame them though, although I spent years on here doing exactly that, but also the party who voted even more in favour of it, both in terms of numbers and as a percentage of the party (100%). The party with most MPs  against it was also Labour. In any case, I’m not sure what that has to do with Corbyn. If one person isn’t at fault for it it’s him. 

23 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I'm interested in how you reconcile that with Corbyn's long history of opposing military intervention to stop innocent brown people from being killed.

Jesus fuck!

The bombings and invasions of Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria, etc did a bang up job of stopping people being killed!

Nobhead. 

6 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

A Labour Government would be an existential threat to Jewish people. 

OK.

Makes you wonder why so many prominent jewish people are so against a Labour government. I'm sure its not tax related. Positive in-fact. Certain of it. 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Makes you wonder why so many prominent jewish people are so against a Labour government. I'm sure its not tax related. Positive in-fact. Certain of it. 

The insinuations in this post are really deeply unpleasant. It's also nonsense, given that tax rates in Israel, where most Jewish people would probably flee to, are higher than they are here.

• Upvote 1