You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

2 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

25k basic customer service roles on the phones at British Gas? 

I’m calling absolute Fucking Bullshit. 

Phone jobs that are getting 25k are sales roles. Basic + commission.

Unsure why he wouldn’t take the link I posted at face value other than that it didn’t suit his narrative. Oh well, I respect everyone’s right to be partisan.

1 minute ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

25k basic customer service roles on the phones at British Gas? 

I’m calling absolute Fucking Bullshit. 

Phone jobs that are getting 25k are sales roles. Basic + commission.

I've been managing sales staff for over 12 years and hardly any have been near 25k. The comms is where the money is in that racket. 18/21k is pretty standard for phone sales staff including recruitment consultants. 

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Come on mate. 

25k for the gas? I know a few girls who work at Southern Electric and they are lucky to be on 18k for answering the phones down there. I doubt its 25k for the gas mate. Even for Sales staff. 

I tell you what I’ll check, but I’m pretty sure it’s right.  

28 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Imagine your take on this story being a bullshit grumble about Labour, rather than, you know, hoping the workers manage to get more secure contracts and a living wage. Fuck me.

I hope they get a better wage and secure contracts. If the tories had come out with the same line (however unlikely you think that would be) and were paying their staff less, you might also have questioned it.

1 hour ago, A Red said:

I hope they get a better wage and secure contracts. If the tories had come out with the same line (however unlikely you think that would be) and were paying their staff less, you might also have questioned it.

What line? Labour's policy is a minimum wage of £10, and they're paying their own workers more than that.

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

"You should pay your workers £15 an hour"
"But you only pay yours £10 an hour"

"Yeah, but that's different, because it is"

I've worked in both fast food and a call centre, you do realise they are completely different jobs with different working hours and requirements?

The £15 an hour is what The McDonalds workers are aiming to get, not what they actually get now. That is their starting point, they probably won't actually get that amount. The figure of £15 comes from the Mcdonalds staff, its not what Corbyn is telling McDonalds to pay them!

You really are barking up the wrong acorn here. 

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

I've worked in both fast food and a call centre, you do realise they are completely different jobs with different working hours and requirements?

The £15 an hour is what The McDonalds workers are aiming to get, not what they actually get now. That is their starting point, they probably won't actually get that amount. The figure of £15 comes from the Mcdonalds staff, its not what Corbyn is telling McDonalds to pay them!

You really are barking up the wrong acorn here. 

Surely the below is at least tacitly suggesting that they pay them £15 an hour? Yes it's not his policy per say, but it reeks of populist bandwagon hopping shite that won't really get anyone anywhere in the long term.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1194366670690750465

8 hours ago, Duff Man said:

What line? Labour's policy is a minimum wage of £10, and they're paying their own workers more than that.

I didnt say Labour are underpaying their staff, indeed as you say its 55p more than the rate they would introduce as a minimum. Well done to them, its fair enough. No arguments.

The line that i am querying is Corbyn encouraging support for action in order for Mcdonalds to pay £15 when Labour only pay 2/3 of that for their unskilled workers. Unskilled is a harsh term I dont like btw. Urging fair contracts i can understand but not the pay level. Like I said, if Boris had done the same you might be raising an eyebrow.

6 hours ago, Gooch said:

Surely the below is at least tacitly suggesting that they pay them £15 an hour? Yes it's not his policy per say, but it reeks of populist bandwagon hopping shite that won't really get anyone anywhere in the long term.

Supporting workers who are fighting for their pay and conditions isn't "populist bandwagon hopping" - it is the Labour Party's raison d'etre.  It's what we should be doing every day. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Gooch said:

He is making a point about how if workers all work together they can change things.

What was he supposed to write?

Well done McDonald's workers for taking on your bosses, I think £15 an hour is a bit steep mind, don't be greedy!

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Decent wage for call-centre staff that. Above minimum wage as well. Go on Jezza lad. 

Funnily enough I have just tried to go onto the Lib-Dem job page assuming of course that they pay more than Labour. Guess what.... Its down for maintenance. 

https://www.libdems.org.uk/work_for_us

Voluntary phone bank manager is up there now.