You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

13 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I'm talking about examples of antisemitism in Labour. New cases every day.

What do you mean by "new cases"?

Is it new allegations  (the vast majority of which turn out to be false, unfounded or not actually Labour Party members)?

Or is it new cases of people being found guilty and kicked out  - which is evidence of the party dealing with the issue. (Evidence which is missing from other parties, although anti-Semitism is certainly no less prevalent there.)

8 hours ago, Duff Man said:

And of course, if you went scouring the Facebook pages of members of other parties, you definitely wouldn't find similar stuff. It really is the weakest fucking shit to throw at a leadership. It'd only be a valid criticism if fuck all was being done about it, a la the Tories with their Islamophobia problem.

If you listen to the right, Jeremy Corbyn is:

1. A rabid anti-semite

2. An enemy of the hindus

3. An enemy of the muslims

4. A Russian spy

5. An ISIS supporter

6. IRA

7. The Warrington bombing mastermind

The make him out to be the worst super-villain, it’s very funny.

58 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

He sounds fucking disgraceful. 

Mr Collings, who lives in Northwold with his wife Emma Biggs, also an artist, said he had not been told who had made the complaint or the specific allegation.

He said: "In these cases, you don't learn what it is until the investigation gets under way. And those investigations can take a long time to be completed, so I will not be able to stand.

Apparently he's a rabid anti-Semite, according to cast-iron evidence that Captain Freedom is about to produce...

any...

minute...

now...

10 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

- Michael Morgan (JVL member)

https://www.jewishvoiceforlabour.org.uk/article/the-story-behind-the-guardians-deleted-letter-of-jewish-support-for-chris-williamson/

It's really not clear whether Morgan is a member of JVL at all.  All I can find linking him to JVL (the only organisation whose members have to be both Jewish and Labour members) are things like this, intended to discredit JVL.

11 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

- Gerry Beckett (Labour member in Liverpool Riverside)

There's evidence of him being a prick - prone to conspiracy theories and careless in his choice of words - but no real hardcore anti-Semitism.  

This is an example of why Labour shouldn't have backed down over the NEC's "Code of Conduct".  That document would have eliminated any grey areas, so members would know that some of the language he's used there would be treated as anti-Semitic; it might have encouraged him to think twice.  Unfortunately, a bunch of anti-Corbyn liars stopped that.

13 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

All well and good, but the Sun is the most popular paper in Britain. That’s a massive part of the problem. If they don’t want you to be liked, you won’t be liked. 

I think we are in agreement. The usual suspects use baseless attacks to discredit Corbyn and hence reduce his chances of being elected. 

The only way of getting support from the Sun/Mail etc is to follow their lead and agenda. Therefore, by my logic any Labour leader who puts forward the policies of the current Labour party will be attacked and discredited with lies and smears, so they won't be liked. 

The question is what is the solution and for me it is an either or;

Ether

1 Back down and support the status quo, hence the papers might let people like you a little

Or

2 Stand by your policies and try to show the papers up for the cunts that they are

That is why I struggle with your "just get a labour leader everyone can unite against", because the leader to a point is irrelevant, as the usual suspects will just attack and smear and lie, hence making it difficult for people to unite behind said leader, if the parties policies and seen as threatening to them. 

Let us not forget Red Ed whose father hated Britain because his son wanted to impose an energy price cap, a policy when put forward by May was seen as a masterstroke.

• Upvote 2

I'm just a  bit bored by the fact that we're still doing all this. It's like what John Barnes says re: racism in general. That football isn't particularly followed by racists, but racism exists in society and will inevitably crop up in football too. It's the same with Labour's alleged antisemitism "problem." You'll find antisemitic people in society. So, inevitably, you'll get them in political parties too. Be that the small, minuscule fraction of Labour supporters, or those aligned to right wing parties who all seem to be on the Soros bogeyman bandwagon. That certain people are digging around only on one side of politics suggests that an agenda might be more important to them than actually fighting ALL antisemitism. 

Plus, I'm sure if you had a good rummage around in the social media of some of the people (or their sock-puppet accounts) pushing the Labour antisemitism allegations, you'll no doubt find some fairly shocking anti Arab/Palestinian racism and hatred. The two often seem to overlap. 

But, that we hear little about this, as well as the rampant Islamophobia displayed by some modern day far right uber zionists (zionism ain't what it used to be!) and the Tories is shocking racism in itself and, for me, makes the antisemitism allegations against Labour pale into relative insignificance. I mean, just imagine if Corbyn had promised on live TV to launch an inquiry into antisemitism in Labour and then shirked on his promise? 

10 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

So who are they voting for then?

I presume it's the green party or maybe snp because you could easily spin the line about not voting for a party because of its leader about any of the other parties?

I’m Irish. Living in Ireland. I’m an interested bystander. 

2 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Apparently he is going to slag off Murdoch in his speech today, no doubt that will help  unite the independent media.

He did that at the event I went to in Liverpool. Along the lines of that Labour will get no help from the press so the grassroots will have to go out and win an election themselves. 

Just got linked to a live stream of the speech on the ITV News FB page. The comments section, man. Utterly depressing. Hundred upon hundreds of people calling him dangerous, a liar, etc, and loads still blaming Labour for the global financial crash. It’s a sad state of affairs when so many people are easily led into believing any old shit. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Just got linked to a live stream of the speech on the ITV News FB page. The comments section, man. Utterly depressing. Hundred upon hundreds of people calling him dangerous, a liar, etc, and loads still blaming Labour for the global financial crash. It’s a sad state of affairs when so many people are easily led into believing any old shit. 

Bots

14 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Out of interest, would you be happy for him to stay beyond this election if he doesn’t win. A mate of mine said he would, so wondered if it was a widespread thought. 

I don’t think so. I think if labour loses this election it is over. I don’t think they’ll find anyone with a shred of the integrity and with similar politics as Corbyn to take over, mind. I think the “mass movement” element will probably fall by the wayside, or find another vehicle to push for change. 

It’s very important that Labour wins this. A defeat could set us back years

2 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Apparently he is going to slag off Murdoch in his speech today, no doubt that will help unite the independent media.

Quite right too.

Milliband tried to placate Murdoch and got properly fucked over. Better to come out swinging against the old cunt.

31 minutes ago, moof said:

I don’t think so. I think if labour loses this election it is over. I don’t think they’ll find anyone with a shred of the integrity and with similar politics as Corbyn to take over, mind. I think the “mass movement” element will probably fall by the wayside, or find another vehicle to push for change. 

It’s very important that Labour wins this. A defeat could set us back years

Yeah, I’d read to think what will happen if he loses, which I suspect he will. The replacement could lead to another decade of Tories if they get it wrong. 

17 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You asked, I delivered. Not sure where the piss is.

You still haven't delivered SD? Any chance of proving you didn't lie? Quite a few unanswered questions came from others after this as well. Any chance of a response? Im happy for you not to bother though because I already believe it was nonsense.