You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

5 hours ago, viRdjil said:

I will concede and let her off, if someone can find me anything about this well-known saying “a knife in the front”.

Also if she had to say it to someone I’d rather she did to a Tory/UKIP MP not her own party leader. As I said, what happened to Jo Cox not long after made her look even worse IMO.

I'm 51 years old and I have never once heard the phrase 'stabbed in the front'.

Having said that, given the context of how and why the phrase was used, I just don't see how anyone could think she meant she would actually stab him.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

A stab-in-the-back legend attributed the German and Austrian defeat in World War I to internal traitors working for foreign interests, primarily Jews and communists.

https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/antisemitism-in-history-world-war-i

This would mean a "stab in the back" political concept in the context of the post WW! German politics, not the phrase itself, which can be found in many languages beside English. If it was called a "betrayal legend", would then the word betrayal be considered anti-semitic and "problematic"?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SasaS said:

This would mean a "stab in the back" political concept in the context of the post WW! German politics, not the phrase itself, which can be found in many languages beside English. If it was called a "betrayal legend", would then the word betrayal be considered anti-semitic and "problematic"?

A public figure like her would be best-advised to avoid using the phrase altogether IMO. 

15 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Next up, we spend 100 posts discussing whether 'take the bull by the horns' amd 'throw the baby out with the bathwater' incites violence against animals or cruelty to children.

My nieces baby is clearly unhappy at something as she keeps throwing her toys out the pram. I was considering giving her a knife but fear she may cut of her nose for some reason.

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

A public figure like her would be best-advised to avoid using the phrase altogether IMO. 

Clearly is was distasteful, I'm sure many on here would have said so at the time, but it was simply a play on words and not a threat of violence which is what you appeared to be suggesting and what people objected to.  You were wrong, you don't need to flog a dead horse (sorry horses of the world) about the saying being in poor taste especially when used against a supposed ally. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yes, with a record unpopularity rating, he seems to have united most of the country.

His stance on Brexit, by trying to appease the second referendum faction in the party is hurting him. He should’ve been more principled there IMO.

35 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yep, that's the reason. Nothing to do with sitting on the fence on the most polarising issue in British history.

Without wanting to specifically comment on people's intellect (I know some Brexiteers especially are touchy about that) or their willful ignorance, or their partisanship, the criticism of Corbyn's Brexit stance says more about his critics than it does about him. 

Edit:  But unfortunately that's the times we live in. 

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

6 and 7 from The Guardian, 8 The Times, 9 HuffPo, 11 New Statesman, just to kill the lie that this is some right-wing tabloid notion.

It's also a Centrist anti-Corbyn broadsheet, right-wing broadsheet, all-sides-of-every-fence website and Centrist magazine notion.

Basically, the idea that everyone has to pick one side of this one issue and tell everyone who disagrees to fuck off is insane. Fortunately, Labour has a sane policy.