You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Just now, viRdjil said:

Yup she said she wouldn’t say it again, although she didn’t look her sincere if I must say.

Dig up.  She said she wouldn’t use it AFTER Jo Cox. She explained clearly it’s a common phrase. But, you know, you tell all these people (including Jess Philips) that she threatened him. It’s your second language, do you think I’d hear every single idiom if I lived in your country or 4 years.  

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

I was referring to the McDonnell interview. Didn’t he say that’s what they were looking for next? 

I've not heard/read the interview.  If he said he'd like a working-class woman as the next leader, that's no more than a personal preference. Also, of course, other working-class women are available  - ones who would make much better candidates, because they haven't spent much of the last 4 years acting like cunts. 

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Dig up.  She said she wouldn’t use it AFTER Jo Cox. She explained clearly it’s a common phrase. But, you know, you tell all these people (including Jess Philips) that she threatened him. It’s your second language, do you think I’d hear every single idiom if I lived in your country or 4 years.  

The common ones of course. Most of the idioms are the same in Australia too. I appreciate the effort that NV made to find examples, but I still maintain it’s not a common saying. You wouldn’t be able to find the equivalent page for that like the below for “knife in the back” for example. 

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/knife+in+the+back

Not sure why you brought up Jo Cox to support your argument, if anything it made it worse for her. She even said it herself. 

I didn’t want to say this but “knife in the back” in itself is also a problematic idiom and widely viewed in some circles as anti-semitic. So it wasn’t really her finest moment by any stretch of imagination.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

The common ones of course. Most of the idioms are the same in Australia too. I appreciate the effort that NV made to find examples, but I still maintain it’s not a common saying. You wouldn’t be able to find the equivalent page for that like the below for “knife in the back” for example. 

Not sure why you brought up Jo Cox to support your argument, if anything it made it worse for her. She even said it herself. 

Fucking hell.  I give in.  She virtually murdered him, he was lucky this time.   Might not be so lucky next time.   

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Fucking hell.  I give in.  She virtually murdered him, he was lucky this time.   Might not be so lucky next time.   

Well he did get beaten up by someone holding an egg not too long ago. The Finsbury Park terrorist also admitted that his ultimate aim was to kill Jeremy Corbyn. We’ll never know how much influence her words had on them.

• Downvote 3

34 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Well he did get beaten up by someone holding an egg not too long ago. The Finsbury Park terrorist also admitted that his ultimate aim was to kill Jeremy Corbyn. We’ll never know how much influence her words had on them.

Fucking hell, mate, that's a leap!

We really can say with some certainty whether a glib, throwaway comment from a Labour backbencher has any influence on racist, far-right terrorists. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Fucking hell, mate, that's a leap!

We really can say with some certainty whether a glib, throwaway comment from a Labour backbencher has any influence on racist, far-right terrorists. 

What we can say for with some certainty is her words wouldn’t have helped calm any tension.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

What we can say for with some certainty is her words wouldn’t have helped calm any tension.

Jesus Christ, just stop.  You are reaching Hades levels of ridiculous doubling down now. You misunderstood the phrase as you hadn’t heard it before. No one thought badly of you, maybe it’s not common in Oz. But it is common here, it was a nothing statement. 

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Jesus Christ, just stop.  You are reaching Hades levels of ridiculous doubling down now. You misunderstood the phrase as you hadn’t heard it before. No one thought badly of you, maybe it’s not common in Oz. But it is common here, it was a nothing statement. 

The last thing I care about is what people think of me evidenced by my posts on numerous threads here. It’s not a great look for a labour MP saying she’s knife her own leader, whilst referring to a disaster capitalist Tory MP in Rees-Mogg “a lovely, charming man”.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, viRdjil said:

It’s a factual statement. All of that is public information.

Only if you're a blithering moron who doesn't acknowledge that metaphors exist. I'm not sure if you're being a troll or just a moron, but whichever it is I very much don't like it. You're incredibly obtuse at times. 

4 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Only if you're a blithering moron who doesn't acknowledge that metaphors exist. I'm not sure if you're being a troll or just a moron, but whichever it is I very much don't like it. You're incredibly obtuse at times. 

You’re not obliged to read or respond NV. She did actually say she’d knife Corbyn, in her interview she said she didn’t mean it that way, and okay I’m prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt there. She also conceded that she wouldn’t repeat it again, acknowledging that it was wrong for her to say it in the first place.

• Downvote 1

Just now, viRdjil said:

You’re not obliged to read or respond NV. She did actually say she’d knife Corbyn, in her interview she said she didn’t mean it that way, and okay I’m prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt there. She also conceded that she wouldn’t repeat it again, acknowledging that it was wrong for her to say it in the first place.

Yeah, I think troll. 

2 hours ago, viRdjil said:

I didn’t want to say this but “knife in the back” in itself is also a problematic idiom and widely viewed in some circles as anti-semitic. So it wasn’t really her finest moment by any stretch of imagination.

What circles would that be?