You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

Fucking hell, you must be taking the piss!

‘The day that ... you are hurting us more than you are helping us, I won’t knife you in the back, I’ll knife you in the front.’”

Yup that one. She did apologise publicly from memory but still horrific stuff. 

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Horrific stuff?! Give over. It’s a well known phrase abou... 

You know what. You’re right. She ‘threatened to stab’ Corbyn. Spot on. 

It was especially bad with hindsight, given what we know happened not too long after. People got touchy about the term “surrender act”, but that’s nothing compared to what she said IMO.

6 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

She’s pretty popular from what I can see.  Working class and a woman.  

Myra Hindley was working class and a woman, too; doesn’t make her Prime Minister material. 

Phillips is not particularly popular in the Labour Party.  She's popular in the media when they want some cheap and easy rent-a-quote to insult Jeremy Corbyn.  That's all.

8 hours ago, viRdjil said:

“knife you in the front” is not a well known saying at all. In my 4 years in the UK I’ve never heard anyone actually say that.

In my nearly 40 years in the UK, I've heard it hundreds of times.

You're more wrong about this than you are about your breakfast choices!

For the record, I dislike Jess Phillips a lot and would quite happily criticise her for many things, but this is not even remotely worth criticism. 

7 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Myra Hindley was working class and a woman, too; doesn’t make her Prime Minister material. 

Phillips is not particularly popular in the Labour Party.  She's popular in the media when they want some cheap and easy rent-a-quote to insult Jeremy Corbyn.  That's all.

I was referring to the McDonnell interview. Didn’t he say that’s what they were looking for next? 

11 minutes ago, chevettehs said:

In my nearly 40 years in the UK, I've heard it hundreds of times.

You're more wrong about this than you are about your breakfast choices!

For the record, I dislike Jess Phillips a lot and would quite happily criticise her for many things, but this is not even remotely worth criticism. 

I will concede and let her off, if someone can find me anything about this well-known saying “a knife in the front”.

Also if she had to say it to someone I’d rather she did to a Tory/UKIP MP not her own party leader. As I said, what happened to Jo Cox not long after made her look even worse IMO.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I will concede and let her off, if someone can find me anything about this well-known saying “a knife in the front”.

Also if she had to say it to someone I’d rather she did to a Tory/UKIP MP not her own party leader. As I said, what happened to Jo Cox not long after made her look even worse IMO.

It’s a play on the phrase ‘being stabbed in the back’. In that you won’t be underhand by stabbing them in the back, you’ll do it to their face.  It’s a very common phrase.  

How the fuck she could have known JO Cox would be stabbed at a later date is beyond me.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It’s a play on the phrase ‘being stabbed in the back’. In that you won’t be underhand by stabbing them in the back, you’ll do it to their face.  It’s a very common phrase.  

How the fuck she could have known JO Cox would be stabbed at a later date is beyond me.  

“Knife in the back” is indeed a well-known saying, but I’ve never once heard someone say “knife in the front”. As an MP I think you must be responsible with your language, and if she really had to say it to someone, I’d rather she did to a Tory MP, like John McDonnell re: assassinating Thatcher.

• Downvote 2

21 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Bullshit will you concede. It’s a fucking Oscar Wilde saying and a song, FFS. Anybody who thinks she was talking about thrusting a sharp piece of metal into Corbyn’s chest, rather than saying she won’t be deceitful is a blithering moron or a troll. 

This fucker should have been locked up and the key thrown away for threatening to stab his friends in the front. 

and these fuckers should be thrown out of an airlock for singing what Jess Phillips said. 

https://genius.com/Beneath-the-sky-true-friends-stab-you-in-the-front-lyrics

‘You said we stabbed you in the back
True friends stab you in the front...’

but yeah, you got it. It was a threat of physical violence. 

why are you like this?!