You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Do you think the claim he doesn’t know who she is, is likely to be true or untrue? Why even make it? 

Why would I even make it if I didn’t think it was true? she’s a side presenter of an outdated TV show FFS. If it wasn’t for this forum I wouldn’t have known she existed. (With all due respect of course)

8 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It’s another example of making him out to be something he isn’t. Of course he’s fucking heard of her. Either from being a man, being alive for the last 15 years and seeing her all over the press for being fit and on telly 5 times a week. To then the last 2 years.  When the row has been everywhere. It’s just weird to even think he doesn’t know her. He might not care but to try and argue he doesn’t is daft. 

Steady on.  I doubt Ardja literally meant he's never heard of her: it's just an expression to illustrate that she's not in any meaningful sense relevant.

It just occurred to me that we can't assume either that he's a keen follower of her important work (picking up letters and numbers, doing sums, looking fit) or that he's completely oblivious to her.  It really doesn't matter either way.

20 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It’s another example of making him out to be something he isn’t. Of course he’s fucking heard of her. Either from being a man, being alive for the last 15 years and seeing her all over the press for being fit and on telly 5 times a week. To then the last 2 years.  When the row has been everywhere. It’s just weird to even think he doesn’t know her. He might not care but to try and argue he doesn’t is daft. 

I imagine he has been made aware of her trolling by his advisers ( I doubt he has never watched a single episode of Countdown in his life - Lets be honest Riley is definitely D-List compared to Ant & Dec and he didn't have a clue who they were ), but I just imagine he just thinks that she is insignificant & wouldn't lower himself to having a public spat with her. 

Widening the discussion out I wonder whether Corbyn would have been better to take legal action against certain people a fair while ago. While the media are generally clever in using smears rather than outright claims , I would be surprised if the likes of Riley , Triesmann or that Jewish Chronicle twat would have a leg to stand on in a court case.

Corbyn would probably feel that he would be giving them an importance they do not deserve , but I personally think it has turned into a weakness and allowed people to just make false claims about him without sanction and left the impression with a lot of dim people in the country that they are true. It would also give him a chance to prove them untrue in an unbiased arena.

4 hours ago, sir roger said:

Can't believe Peston let Rachel Riley away with calling Corbyn anti-Semitic & blatantly just making up ridiculous claims. ' 95% of Jewish people in the UK think he is anti-Semitic '. She actually came across as a bit thick.

It's 85% not 95%.

7 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The poll was of 710 members of Survation's Jewish panel, not JC readers.

So, 85% of 710 people are badly misinformed. 

It's not unusual. 

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10/29/ipsos-mori-poll-wrong_n_6066800.html

You understand, don't you, that that survey reflects more on media portrayals of Jeremy Corbyn than on anything to do with the man himself?

• Upvote 1