You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

29 minutes ago, INTORRESTING said:

Being forced to sell something you bought is very worrying.  It would never work, but still a very odd idea.

Being forced to sell something is already a law;

A compulsory purchase order (CPO) is a legal function in the United Kingdom and Ireland that allows certain bodies to obtain land or property without the consent of the owner.

1 hour ago, INTORRESTING said:

Of course, i wasn't clear. 

I should have said a private individual being forced to sell to another private individual. 

The details haven't been worked out yet (for example, it could exclude landlords who only have one house in lieu of a decent pension) so I'd have to see the proposals before I decide whether they're any good.

One thing is certain: the housing market in thiscountry is fucked. Any ideas to overhaul it are worth looking at seriously.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

Lovely bloke Jez.

This is why I'm not arsed about polling.  Once we hit Purdah and we stop seeing the 'Corbyn is a communist spy' vs 'free bacon for everyone says Boris' print headlines things will swing pretty fast.

The quicker the print media dies out now the better for all of us. TV news is still reasonably regulated by Ofcom.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

This is why I'm not arsed about polling.  Once we hit Purdah and we stop seeing the 'Corbyn is a communist spy' vs 'free bacon for everyone says Boris' print headlines things will swing pretty fast.

The quicker the print media dies out now the better for all of us. TV news is still reasonably regulated by Ofcom.

You should be worried about the polls, because the nation is full of fucking idiots. Just a look at today's poll in the guardian after the last week shows there is something seriously wrong with large parts of our country. And as for the print media.... There were papers this week didn't even carry the whole Scottish "Johnson lied to the queen" story as a main story. It's quite incredible. Even though it still needs to go to the UK supreme court, the fact 3 judges from Scotland's highest court can make such a judgement and nothing can be made of it is quite incredible. It's like our drive to leave Europe for greater sovereignty seems to equate to it would be sound to live in a dictatorship. 

• Upvote 1

Talking of Polls. Just being a few % out in weighting can make a significant difference. If the turnout in 18-34 is significantly higher than the last election then... There has been a massive campaign to ensure people are registered, a long run up to an election say Jan/Feb 2020 will hurt the Conservatives. *This isn't the only contributing factor to the difference in these two Polls but you get the point*

Quite a lot was made of an Observer-led poll last week showing the Tories miles ahead at the expense of Labour & Lib-Dems but in the notes at the bottom it said it was from a poll of 2000 people , which by my calculations is an average of just over 3 people per constituency.

Having said that I do worry about the prevalence of fuckwits in the country. There is a piece on the Guardian online this morning saying Labour is struggling in Sedgefield ( Blair's old constituency ) & one guy says Corbyn is IRA and anther says she would rather vote for Piers Morgan as he knows his own mind !!!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sir roger said:

Quite a lot was made of an Observer-led poll last week showing the Tories miles ahead at the expense of Labour & Lib-Dems but in the notes at the bottom it said it was from a poll of 2000 people , which by my calculations is an average of just over 3 people per constituency.

That's actually a reasonably large poll, most are around 1000 or so respondents. As long as the poll is conducted properly- no leading questions, prompts about a particular party/ person etc- and is either weighted or corrected for weighting properly, then there's no reason to doubt the result. 

Massive caveat though- even when done to the highest standards, a poll of 1000-2000 people only gives a result that has a 95% chance of being within 2-3% of the actual result (e.g. if the Tories are polling at 30%, then there's a 95% chance that they're actually polling between 27% and 33%). And that's a nationwide result, individual constituencies have a load of extra variables such as incumbent bonus, local issues etc. I think YouGov have some heavy duty statistic calculations to try and drill down to constituency level, but I'm not sure how successful those models are- they've been dodgy at best for the last few elections.

You have to take individual polls with a pinch of salt, and look at the trend really. There has been a 'Boris Boost', but it's not big, is probably short-lived and given the rise of the Brexit party and the Lib Dems, is very difficult to quantify. For what it's worth, the 2017 election was the first time I've seen Labour poll above what they were forecast to, there are an awful lot of 'shy Tories' who seem to shit themselves in the polling booth and don't get captured in polls. In a refreshing change last time, most of the polling companies missed out the 'enthusiastic, young Labour' vote. Hopefully they're still doing it, otherwise we're really fucked...

• Upvote 3

He's definitely the only major party leader who talks sense on Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/17/labour-final-say-brexit-boris-johnson-britain-eu

A Labour government would secure a sensible deal based on the terms we have long advocated, including a new customs union with the EU; a close single market relationship; and guarantees of workers’ rights and environmental protections. We would then put that to a public vote alongside remain. I will pledge to carry out whatever the people decide, as a Labour prime minister.

We are the only UK-wide party ready to put our trust in the people of Britain to make the decision. Johnson wants to crash out with no deal. That is something opposed by business, industry, the trade unions and most of the public – and even by the Vote Leave campaign’s co-convener Michael Gove, who said earlier this year: “We didn’t vote to leave without a deal.

And now the Liberal Democrats want MPs to overturn the referendum result by revoking article 50 in a parliamentary stitch-up. It is simply undemocratic to override the decision of a majority of the voters without going back to the people.

Labour is the only party determined to bring people together, and give the people the final say. Only a vote for Labour will deliver a public vote on Brexit. Only a Labour government will put the power back into the hands of the people. Let’s stop a no-deal Brexit – and let the people decide.