You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

@Numero Veinticinco tbh that is why I asked.  There was a blurb on today that claimed his personal wealth was twice that of BoJo which just seemed strange to me for some reason - I don't know what he did previously.

I’d be surprised if that was true, to be honest. He was a trade union rep and then worked in government ever since I think. 

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Estimated by? Probably something to do with adding all his salary together or something. 

https://www.spearswms.com/jeremy-corbyn-net-worth/

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-politicians/boris-johnson-net-worth/

Boris's father is worth a lot, that should probably come into consideration for starters.

51 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I despair that Labour party will come together in any coherent way next month to fight the looming existential threat to our democracy posed by a minority of power crazed lunatics. Too busy squabbling about AS and rife with internal divisions to even consider forming alliances .  

Momentum had thousands of people on the phones and on the knocker in 2017, working for candidates who despise them. I'm pretty sure the party could pull together for an election now that the worst of the rubbish has taken itself out.

18 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

Both Corbyn and Johnson were in journalism before politics, though Corbyn's journalistic career was much shorter.

Being a reporter for The Newport and Market Drayton Advertiser is not to be sniffed at, however long he did it

I must admit, I do feel sorry for Corbyn with all this anti-jewish thing. I dont believe he is at all but, as with most democratic leaders, he has to deal with tossers within his own party, whether it be anti semitics, islamaphobes or just plain idiots. 

I have misgivings about the fella but i agree with many on here, this is blown out of proportion and designed to smear him. 

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, A Red said:

I must admit, I do feel sorry for Corbyn with all this anti-jewish thing. I dont believe he is at all but, as with most democratic leaders, he has to deal with tossers within his own party, whether it be anti semitics, islamaphobes or just plain idiots. 

I have misgivings about the fella but i agree with many on here, this is blown out of proportion and designed to smear him. 

I didn’t think he was, but he does seem to be able to overlook it in people he agrees with on other issues.  If it were any other prejudice would he get away with it, or would the same standards be applied to opposing politician?  The guy who he invited to the HoC who’d called Jews vermin etc and was subsequently banned - then JC complained about the treatment. Just plain dodgy. Talk of people associating with Bannon etc making them white suprematist- then it applies both ways.  

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

I didn’t think he was, but he does seem to be able to overlook it in people he agrees with on other issues.  If it were any other prejudice would he get away with it, or would the same standards be applied to opposing politician?  The guy who he invited to the HoC who’d called Jews vermin etc and was subsequently banned - then JC complained about the treatment. Just plain dodgy. Talk of people associating with Bannon etc making them white suprematist- then it applies both ways.  

Fair point

10 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I work on the phones at the AA for the same amount of time.  Didn’t make my CV.  

We're not talking about your CV, you weirdo.

He asked what Corbyn did before he was a politician. Just because he's been a Councillor then an MP for a long time doesn’t mean that the correct answer is "nothing".

Both could be said to have had privileged upbringings.

Corbyn has never worked for a "for profit" organisation, Johnson has for most of his time outside of politics. Corbyns educational achievements are minimal, Johnsons are pretty good. Corbyn, before elected leader, has never held a political office, Johnson has.