You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Fucking hell. How obsessed are you?

Also, how ridiculously illogical are you? "Corbyn commended this bloke on a programme he made 17 fucking years ago, therefore he must be a perfectly trustworthy source on a completely unrelated subject".

How about waiting to see the programme?

9 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Fucking hell. How obsessed are you?

Also, how ridiculously illogical are you? "Corbyn commended this bloke on a programme he made 17 fucking years ago, therefore he must be a perfectly trustworthy source on a completely unrelated subject".

How about waiting to see the programme?

If you read the Swarkbox article he’s on a par with Vlad the Impaler.  This offers a different view - one I thought you’d appreciate.  Waiting was always the best option but SB went full ad hominem immediately. In fact didn’t you post the article?  

Shame

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48909477

Labour MP Kate Hoey has announced she will not seek re-election after 30 years as the member for Vauxhall.

She caused controversy within her party during the 2016 EU referendum as a leading pro-Brexit figure, campaigning alongside Nigel Farage.

Ms Hoey said she would not run again after the 2015 election, but then stood when the 2017 snap-election was called.

However, in July 2018, she lost a no confidence vote in her local party - a staunchly Remain London constituency.

The London Borough of Lambeth, which includes Ms Hoey's constituency, voted 78.6% to Remain in the EU - the highest proportion of Remain voters aside from Gibraltar.

Those pesky wrong kind of Jews 

Jewish support for Chris Williamson

Prominent members of the Jewish community, in the UK and abroad, write to defend the Labour MP Chris Williamson amid allegations of antisemitism

Letters

Mon 8 Jul 2019 17.37 BSTLast modified on Mon 8 Jul 2019 18.22 BST

•  
  •  
  •  
Shares

Chris Williamson speaking at a festival in London last week.

We the undersigned, all Jews, are writing in support of Chris Williamson and to register our dismay at the recent letter organised by Tom Watson, and signed by parliamentary Labour party and House of Lords members, calling for his suspension (Anger over return of MP who said Labour was ‘too apologetic’ over antisemitism, 28 June).

Chris Williamson did not say that the party had been “too apologetic about antisemitism”, as has been widely misreported. He correctly stated that the Labour party has done more than any other party to combat the scourge of antisemitism and that, therefore, its stance should be less apologetic. Such attacks on Jeremy Corbyn’s supporters aim to undermine not only the Labourparty’s leadership but also all pro-Palestinian members.

The mass media have ignored the huge support for Chris both within and beyond the Labour party. Support that includes many Jews. The party needs people like him, with the energy and determination to fight for social justice. As anti-racist Jews, we regard Chris as our ally: he stands as we do with the oppressed rather than the oppressor. It should also be noted that he has a longer record of campaigning against racism and fascism than most of his detractors.

The Chakrabarti report recommended that the party’s disciplinary procedures respect due process, favour education over expulsion and promote a culture of free speech, yet this has been abandoned in practice. We ask the Labour party to reinstate Chris Williamson and cease persecuting such members on false allegations of antisemitism.
Noam Chomsky MIT, Norman FinkelsteinLecturer and writer, Ed Asner Actor, ProfRichard Falk Princeton University, Leah Lavene and Jenny Manson Jewish Voice for Labour and more than 100 others. Full list at tinyurl.com/y4mr4lwb

Advertisement
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

If you read the Swarkbox article he’s on a par with Vlad the Impaler.  This offers a different view - one I thought you’d appreciate.  Waiting was always the best option but SB went full ad hominem immediately. In fact didn’t you post the article?  

To recap -

You said that we can all trust Panorama. 

I suggested we should wait and see.

You listed a load of good stuff (on unrelated subjects) that the bloke had done years ago.

I posted a balancing link to show that he's got more recent  and relevant form for hatchet-jobs.

8 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

To recap -

You said that we can all trust Panorama. 

I suggested we should wait and see.

You listed a load of good stuff (on unrelated subjects) that the bloke had done years ago.

I posted a balancing link to show that he's got more recent  and relevant form for hatchet-jobs.

That’s not what happened but ok.  

The link was stuff he’d done for the BBC before being made redundant.  He’s continued to work for Panorama as a freelancer.  

Balancing?  Ha ha ha. 

• Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Stickman said:

Those pesky wrong kind of Jews 

Jewish support for Chris Williamson

Prominent members of the Jewish community, in the UK and abroad, write to defend the Labour MP Chris Williamson amid allegations of antisemitism

Letters

Mon 8 Jul 2019 17.37 BSTLast modified on Mon 8 Jul 2019 18.22 BST

•  
  •  
  •  
Shares

Chris Williamson speaking at a festival in London last week.

We the undersigned, all Jews, are writing in support of Chris Williamson and to register our dismay at the recent letter organised by Tom Watson, and signed by parliamentary Labour party and House of Lords members, calling for his suspension (Anger over return of MP who said Labour was ‘too apologetic’ over antisemitism, 28 June).

Chris Williamson did not say that the party had been “too apologetic about antisemitism”, as has been widely misreported. He correctly stated that the Labour party has done more than any other party to combat the scourge of antisemitism and that, therefore, its stance should be less apologetic. Such attacks on Jeremy Corbyn’s supporters aim to undermine not only the Labourparty’s leadership but also all pro-Palestinian members.

The mass media have ignored the huge support for Chris both within and beyond the Labour party. Support that includes many Jews. The party needs people like him, with the energy and determination to fight for social justice. As anti-racist Jews, we regard Chris as our ally: he stands as we do with the oppressed rather than the oppressor. It should also be noted that he has a longer record of campaigning against racism and fascism than most of his detractors.

The Chakrabarti report recommended that the party’s disciplinary procedures respect due process, favour education over expulsion and promote a culture of free speech, yet this has been abandoned in practice. We ask the Labour party to reinstate Chris Williamson and cease persecuting such members on false allegations of antisemitism.
Noam Chomsky MIT, Norman FinkelsteinLecturer and writer, Ed Asner Actor, ProfRichard Falk Princeton University, Leah Lavene and Jenny Manson Jewish Voice for Labour and more than 100 others. Full list at tinyurl.com/y4mr4lwb

Advertisement

Sky news currently outside Labour headquarters, they mention this letter from 100 people supporting Williamson but being totally neutral fail to mention any of  the undersigned are Jewish. 

Dear viRdjil, 

I am proud to lead the Labour Party – the greatest political party and social movement in this country.

We all recognise that the issue of Brexit has been divisive in our communities and sometimes in our party too. 

As democrats, Labour accepted the result of the 2016 referendum. In our 2017 manifesto, Labour also committed to oppose a No Deal Brexit and the Tories' Brexit plans – which threatened jobs, living standards, and the open multicultural society that we as internationalists value so much.

I want to pay tribute to Keir Starmer and the shadow Brexit team for holding the Government to account during this process. That helped secure a meaningful vote on their deal – which we then defeated three times – including inflicting the largest ever defeat on any Government. And following their refusal to publish their legal advice, this Government became the first to be held in contempt of Parliament. 

Labour set out a compromise plan to try to bring the country together based around a customs union, a strong single market relationship and protection of environmental regulations and rights at work. We continue to believe this is a sensible alternative that could bring the country together. 

But the Prime Minister refused to compromise and was unable to deliver, so we ended cross-party talks. 

Now both Tory leadership candidates are threatening a No Deal Brexit – or at best a race to the bottom and a sweetheart deal with Donald Trump: that runs down industry, opens up our NHS and other public services to yet more privatisation, and shreds environmental protections, rights at work and consumer standards. 

I have spent the past few weeks consulting with the shadow cabinet, MPs, affiliated unions and the NEC. I have also had feedback from members via the National Policy Forum consultation on Brexit. 

Whoever becomes the new Prime Minister should have the confidence to put their deal, or No Deal, back to the people in a public vote. 

In those circumstances, I want to make it clear that Labour would campaign for Remain against either No Deal or a Tory deal that does not protect the economy and jobs. 

Labour has a crucial, historic duty to safeguard jobs, rights and living standards. But no Brexit outcome alone can do that. 

We need a general election. After nine years of austerity, too many people in this country cannot find decent secure well-paid work, and have to rely on public services that have been severely cut back. 

Our country is ravaged by inequality and rising poverty, huge regional imbalances of investment, and the government is failing to tackle the climate emergency facing us all. 

That is why we need a Labour government to end austerity and rebuild our country for the many not the few. 

Signed, Jeremy Corbyn, Leader of the Labour Party

Jeremy Corbyn 
Leader of the Labour Party

50 minutes ago, viRdjil said:
Dear viRdjil, 

I am proud to lead the Labour Party – the greatest political party and social movement in this country.

We all recognise that the issue of Brexit has been divisive in our communities and sometimes in our party too. 

As democrats, Labour accepted the result of the 2016 referendum. In our 2017 manifesto, Labour also committed to oppose a No Deal Brexit and the Tories' Brexit plans – which threatened jobs, living standards, and the open multicultural society that we as internationalists value so much.

I want to pay tribute to Keir Starmer and the shadow Brexit team for holding the Government to account during this process. That helped secure a meaningful vote on their deal – which we then defeated three times – including inflicting the largest ever defeat on any Government. And following their refusal to publish their legal advice, this Government became the first to be held in contempt of Parliament. 

Labour set out a compromise plan to try to bring the country together based around a customs union, a strong single market relationship and protection of environmental regulations and rights at work. We continue to believe this is a sensible alternative that could bring the country together. 

But the Prime Minister refused to compromise and was unable to deliver, so we ended cross-party talks. 

Now both Tory leadership candidates are threatening a No Deal Brexit – or at best a race to the bottom and a sweetheart deal with Donald Trump: that runs down industry, opens up our NHS and other public services to yet more privatisation, and shreds environmental protections, rights at work and consumer standards. 

I have spent the past few weeks consulting with the shadow cabinet, MPs, affiliated unions and the NEC. I have also had feedback from members via the National Policy Forum consultation on Brexit. 

Whoever becomes the new Prime Minister should have the confidence to put their deal, or No Deal, back to the people in a public vote. 

In those circumstances, I want to make it clear that Labour would campaign for Remain against either No Deal or a Tory deal that does not protect the economy and jobs. 

Labour has a crucial, historic duty to safeguard jobs, rights and living standards. But no Brexit outcome alone can do that. 

We need a general election. After nine years of austerity, too many people in this country cannot find decent secure well-paid work, and have to rely on public services that have been severely cut back. 

Our country is ravaged by inequality and rising poverty, huge regional imbalances of investment, and the government is failing to tackle the climate emergency facing us all. 

That is why we need a Labour government to end austerity and rebuild our country for the many not the few. 

Signed, Jeremy Corbyn, Leader of the Labour Party

Jeremy Corbyn 
Leader of the Labour Party

It’s pretty cool that you joined the Labour Party using your TLW username. I wish I’d thought of that. 

40 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

It’s pretty cool that you joined the Labour Party using your TLW username. I wish I’d thought of that. 

I’ll wager his avatar is a true picture of him as well.

1 hour ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Sky news currently outside Labour headquarters, they mention this letter from 100 people supporting Williamson but being totally neutral fail to mention any of  the undersigned are Jewish. 

I think that may be because some aren’t Jewish and some of the claims (person signing for Hope not Hate for example) aren’t true.  You’d have thought the Guardian would have checked. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I think that may be because some aren’t Jewish and some of the claims (person signing for Hope not Hate for example) aren’t true.  You’d have thought the Guardian would have checked. 

Nobody on that list (as far as I can see) has signed on behalf of HnH. 

Which signatories are supposed to be goyim? And who is claiming it?

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

The Guardian have now removed the letter, in the wake of Twitter doing the due diligence on it that they should have done.

• Upvote 1