You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

All the usual suspects squealing about decisions taken by the leaders office , ignoring completely that the disciplinary committee had 2 right-wing , anti-Corbyn members out of the 3 involved in the decision.

Hoping to see quite a few trigger-ballots occurring soon , already got rid of that Brexit-wallowing tosser Fitzpatrick.

5 minutes ago, sir roger said:

All the usual suspects squealing about decisions taken by the leaders office , ignoring completely that the disciplinary committee had 2 right-wing , anti-Corbyn members out of the 3 involved in the decision.

Hoping to see quite a few trigger-ballots occurring soon , already got rid of that Brexit-wallowing tosser Fitzpatrick.

Did he not overrule the recommendation? 

11 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Did he not overrule the recommendation? 

AS far as I am aware , the NEC recommended pushing it up to the next level ( NCC ) but the disciplinary committee decided that it did not justify this action & issued a formal warning. 

A NEC source said it was a “red herring” to blame the decision on the party leadership. “Party staff recommended that he be referred to the NCC, Keith Vaz who is a longtime operator on the Labour right opposed it,” the source said.

Not sure of your point Rico.

Presumably the lady mentioned couldn't make the committee for some reason or other , so it had to be delayed and a fresh committee set up as they always are , on a rolling basis. The committee consisted of two MP's ( Keith Vaz and George Howarth , neither left wing in any sense and both chicken-coupers ) and a constituency rep. Huda Elmi, who are all regular members of the panel.

19 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Not sure of your point Rico.

Presumably the lady mentioned couldn't make the committee for some reason or other , so it had to be delayed and a fresh committee set up as they always are , on a rolling basis. The committee consisted of two MP's ( Keith Vaz and George Howarth , neither left wing in any sense and both chicken-coupers ) and a constituency rep. Huda Elmi, who are all regular members of the panel.

It’s not my point.  Could be a coincidence or it could be playing the game.  

The telling thing in literally ALL the reporting of this is how the responsible, legally savvy journalists are reporting how Williamson was reinstated after his "antisemitiSM" comments, rather than his "antisemitiC" comments. They know that there's a huge difference between the two and that Williamson could (if he wanted to) sue the arse off them if they opted for the second term in their reporting. 

Williamson seems a bit of a knob. And bordering on being a wind up merchant. But, for me, he hasn't said anything antisemitic. He made an, on the face of it, unhelpful and provocative statement. He's obviously clarified what he meant during the disciplinary process. I wouldn't be surprised if he brought up the equal levels of antisemitism in other parties, Margaret Hodge submitting numerous complaints involving non Labour Party members etc to add context to his "too apologetic" comment and he's had the telling off that he deserves. 

Wasn't Hodge one of those complaining when it was alleged that Corbyn and his "cronies" were interfering in the antisemitism complaints process, yet tonight on Newsnight she was saying re: Williamson that any disciplinary decision wasn't binding and that Corbyn could interfere in the process and expel Williamson if he really wanted to...

3 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Is she bitching that someone who has never said or done anything anti-Semitic wasn’t kicked out of the party for anti-Semitism?

No, I think she was comparing being given a cup of coffee with slightly too much milk to the holocaust.

• Upvote 1

Hodge has said , without irony I assume , that she would have been thrown out the party if she had done anything like Williamson had. This is the lady who called the leader of her party ' A fucking anti-semite ' and then proceeded to covertly tape a private meeting with him & pass it on to the right-wing press.

Having said that she would probably not be fazed by a Labour party investigation , as her original one for not following up allegations made by vulnerable children ended up with Blair promoting her.

42 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Trump in the White House.

Johnson soon to be in Downing St.

Rachel Riley is pregnant - the Antichrist has been sired.

It truly is the end of times....

Fuck me.  Before she said she didn’t like Corbyn  she was everyone’s perfect woman.  You lot are fucking weird.  #notacult

although Anubis wins lefty of the day so you can all stop now. 

• Downvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
45 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Trump in the White House.

Johnson soon to be in Downing St.

Rachel Riley is pregnant - the Antichrist has been sired.

It truly is the end of times....

I can't stand that Rachel Riley. She's going to be on TV even more now as they make her out to be the best mother ever to walk Planet Earth. 

I genuinely don't understand what this is all about, I missed the original story. I think it's because Williamson said this...... 

But at a recent Momentum meeting in Sheffield, Mr Williamson said "I have got to say I think our party's response has been partly responsible for that because in my opinion… we have backed off far too much, we have given too much ground, we have been too apologetic."

But if so, and that's all it was, I don't get it. Even if he's wrong, it's just an opinion on process and not an opinion on Jews or anti semitism. I guess the devil is in the detail and it depends what was said before, but I'm just at a total loss to the fuss and it seems a strange battle for quite so many labour members who are behind this letter. Surely there's more to it?