You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

1 minute ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Again, where is he evidence she is an anti-Semite? 

I can only provide you with the evidence. I can't make you agree.

Meanwhile, Wes Streeting is striking a conciliatory tone

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/opinion/house-commons/104400/wes-streeting-labours-new-mp

I haven’t been in Peterborough this week and I want to be honest about why. I haven’t been to Peterborough since the antisemitic social media activity of our candidate and her opposition to the IHRA definition of antisemitism became clear. The words ‘zero tolerance’ may have meant little to our leadership, but they do mean something to me. When I promised the Jewish Labour Movement that I would stand in solidarity with them, I really meant it. If I had knocked on doors this week I would have been a hypocrite.

I was a candidate with Lisa Forbes in 2015 and I was honestly delighted when she was selected as our candidate. I’ve only ever known her to be a good woman who is utterly dedicated to her city. While I still have no doubt that she will work her socks off, I was shocked by what I read of her social media activity. It was serious enough to warrant disciplinary action. She has apologised, but it is not my place to accept it. She will need to work hard to persuade the Jewish Labour Movement and wider community that her apology was meaningful and that she is genuinely committed to tackling antisemitism.

I’ve agonised about this. I didn’t want to see the Brexit Party win, but it is no good to see Labour people demanding loyalty on the basis of being the lesser of two evils. There is no hierarchy of racism or prejudice. Antisemitism must never become normalised or more politically acceptable than any other form of discrimination.

Once again, the Labour Party leadership has serious questions to answer about candidate vetting and on what ‘zero tolerance’ and the ‘militant fight against antisemitism’ really means. I’d say not much. I’ve given up hope that this Labour leadership can prove me wrong, but I have not given up hope that the new MP for Peterborough can be true to her apology and show genuine contrition.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

No, none at all. Nothing to see here. The EHRC are secretly controlled by Israel too.

They're probably not "secretly controlled by Israel" but they might be controlled by a group of toffs with a vested interest in trying to make sure Corbyn doesn't end up as PM.

This doesn't really give a lot of confidence : https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/05/equalities-body-accused-of-targeting-bame-staff-for-redundancies-letter-ehrc-black-asian-communities

Or this : https://www.byline.com/column/22/article/1072

They've had their budget cut by huge amounts which doesn't help things either and helped create the situation that's covered in the links above. And are they investigating the Tories for Islamophobia yet? Or just focusing on Labour and anti-Semitism? Because if they only focus on Labour when the state of the Tories is a complete joke they can fuck off.

I can't see Labour getting past their investigation cleanly anyway, this will be a flashpoint in the near future I think.

The drama over Lisa Forbes looks like the same old shit as well, but can't help but think Forbes could've been more aware of what she was doing. Opposing the IHRA and the CIA & Mossad thing doesn't really bother me personally, but liking a video with "Zionist Slave Masters" in the text in the current climate doesn't inspire a load of confidence. She said she didn't read the text didn't she and just liked the video that was linked? Well imagine how worse that text could've been, hope she pays more attention from here on out to what she's doing. I suppose that doesn't need to be said now though when looking at the uproar already on the go.

1 hour ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

I can only provide you with the evidence. I can't make you agree.

Meanwhile, Wes Streeting is striking a conciliatory tone

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/opinion/house-commons/104400/wes-streeting-labours-new-mp

Wes could have saved himself time by tweaking the first line to 'I haven’t been in Peterborough this week and I want to be honest about why - I didn't want 'us' to win - and then chopping the rest of it off.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Wes could have saved himself time by tweaking the first line to 'I haven’t been in Peterborough this week and I want to be honest about why - I didn't want 'us' to win - and then chopping the rest of it off.

Never heard of the cunt.

*googles*

After graduating, Streeting worked for the Labour Party-related organisation Progress for a year.

Righto.

Labour "narrowly won" I keep reading everywhere but no mention it's a longstanding Tory seat that they only won for the first time in 2017.

The bias of the media is getting absolutely nuts. I've never bought into it before but it's hard to argue against.

5 hours ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

Okay, sorry, I assumed you knew what I was talking about.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/02/jewish-groups-labour-peterborough-byelection-lisa-forbes-antisemitism

Jewish groups say Labour should disown Peterborough byelection candidate

Lisa Forbes apologises over online posts and promises to take antisemitism training

Jewish organisations have called on Labour to distance itself from its Peterborough byelection candidate, who has apologised for liking a post that said Theresa May had a “Zionist slave masters agenda”.

Lisa Forbes, who will fight the marginal seat for Labour in the knife-edge byelection on Thursday, said she apologised “wholeheartedly for not calling out these posts”.

She claimed she had “intended to like a video of schoolchildren praying in solidarity with the Christchurch attacks, not the views expressed in the accompanying text”.

The Twitter activity was unearthed by a freelance reporter, who also found Forbes had commented on a thread that claimed Isis was created and funded by the CIA and Mossad. Forbes wrote: “I have enjoyed reading this thread so much.”

Every time you read "Jewish groups" criticise Labour, you know exactly which groups they are talking about.. It's just the same old shit from the same old noise-makers. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Never heard of the cunt.

*googles*

Righto.

Jess Phillips made me laugh saying that the anti-semitism of the Peterborough candidate had stopped her being ecstatic at the win like she would have been.

Of course you would , Jess.

14 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Jess Phillips made me laugh saying that the anti-semitism of the Peterborough candidate had stopped her being ecstatic at the win like she would have been.

Of course you would , Jess.

The sad thing is if it ever came to anyone being persecuted  (and by god  i hope it dosnt)  id much rather have a person who has fought racism all his life like Corbyn on my side than a fly by night attention seeking publicist like Philips.

They seem more "freinds of Israel' than they are freinds of the labour party. I don't know why but that's the way it seems. 

If so they are not doing Jewish people who are being persecuted any good nor are they doing the labour party any good. 

It's sounding more and more like a self interested lobby.

10 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The Jewish Labour Movement have released a statement on Lisa Forbes, part of which says that she should have the party whip withdrawn because the PLP accepted the IHRA definition of antisemitism, but she, before becoming an MP, had rejected the IHRA definition. 

Where do you even start with that? 

Always worth remembering that to be a member of the Jewish Labour Movement 

1.  you don't have to be a Labour Party member;

2.  you don't have to be Jewish

You do have to both of those things to join Jewish Voice for Labour, so I'm inclined to give more weight to their opinions.