You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

28 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The Daily Heil doorstepping him outside his house, despite him being absolutely clear from Day One that - out of respect for his neighbours  - he won't answer any questions there.

Neighbours? You mean stooges placed there to pretend to be his friends? 

10 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

One for the justified violence thread. I'd happily see Daily Mail "journalists" knocked out every single day.

Come on, mate. They’re just ordinary people going about the honest business of trying to destroy people’s lives for their own progression. 

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

Come on, mate. They’re just ordinary people going about the honest business of trying to destroy people’s lives for their own progression. 

Well, don't I feel guilty now. Pretty disgusted with myself actually.

I was of the believe that Alistair Campbell said before the election he would vote LD, so have been looking for evidence.

I found this, where he states he hasn't decided but at the end says if he votes for another party he will be expelled (approx 44 seconds in), which I found interesting;

What's that saying judge a person by the company they keep, well if you have the likes of Murdoch, The Daily Mail , Times, The S*n, The Express and co rushing in to defend you then I don't think you have to judge him too hard to know he's a bit of a cunt.

Then again Campbell , Blunkett, Straw and co always liked to mix with shit..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48443838

Labour: Alastair Campbell expulsion 'spiteful', says Tom Watson

Labour's decision to expel Alastair Campbell was "spiteful", the party's deputy leader says, arguing it should be "listening rather than punishing".

Tony Blair's former spin doctor was kicked out of the party after revealing he had voted for the Liberal Democrats in the European elections.

But Tom Watson called for an "amnesty" for Labour members disillusioned by the party's lack of "clarity" on Brexit.

Labour said supporting another party was "incompatible" with membership.

Mr Watson's comments come after a number of other senior Labour figures confirmed they had voted for different parties in the European polls. Former Home Secretary Charles Clarke confirmed he had voted Lib Dem, along with ex-MP Fiona MacTaggart, while former Defence Secretary Bob Ainsworth said he voted Green.

Mr Clarke called Mr Campbell's expulsion "a disgrace [that] only compounds Labour's current political difficulties".

Mr Campbell announced over Twitter on Tuesday that he had been expelled from the party, after revealing during the BBC's election night broadcast how he had voted. On the programme, he accused Labour of "letting its own supporters down" in "failing to devise a policy the country could unite around" over Brexit.

Speaking to reporters after his ousting, Mr Campbell - who is a vocal "People's Vote" campaigner for another referendum - claimed "senior" members of Jeremy Corbyn's team had sent "many, many messages of support" for him to vote for a different party. He said he would appeal the decision, adding: "I will always be Labour."

Labour's share of the vote fell to 14% in last week's European elections and several senior figures have blamed the party's nuanced position on Brexit. Mr Watson, who has also been putting pressure on his leader to back a further referendum, said to be a "broad church", Labour needed "pluralism and tolerance to survive".

"It is very clear that many thousands of Labour Party members voted for other parties last week. "They were disappointed with the position on Brexit [and] they were sending [the] message that our position lacked clarity, and they were right."

He added: "It is spiteful to resort to expulsions when [the party] should be listening to members. "We should be listening to members rather than punishing them."

Lord Falconer, who served in Mr Blair's government alongside Mr Campbell, accused Mr Corbyn's leadership team of taking the "politically explosive" decision to expel his former colleague.

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme he did not believe Mr Campbell had broken membership rules, but if they had been, "maybe tens of thousands" of members had followed suit.

He said it seemed "absolutely inconceivable that a decision like that would have been taken simply by an official operating a process", adding: "It's bound to have been taken higher up the chain."

Labour MP Dame Louise Ellman questioned why her party was so quick to expel Mr Campbell, but had allowed the "festering" of anti-Semitism - allegations that are now being investigated by the Equality and Human Rights Commission.

She told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "Alastair Campbell was expelled very quickly indeed, as I understand it without any kind of hearing, whereas the allegations of anti-Semitism just roll on and very little action is taken."

The former challenger for the Labour leadership, Owen Smith, also accused his party of "double standards". "I think we've been incredibly slow to expel some people who look to me to be prima facie anti-Semites and others who have advocated violence and who have advocated voting for other parties on the hard left of politics," he told BBC's Newsnight.

"They've not been expelled and yet Alistair Campbell for doing what 20% of Labour voters did last Thursday has been expelled. Those are double standards and they are completely self-defeating."

22 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Whether he should or shouldn't have been expelled for it, it's what he wanted, and they took the bait.

My initial was to be happy that he is out of the party, but having now had time to think about it, I think it was politically naive to expel him. 

He got what he wanted and the leadership now comes across as vindictive, not exactly a new type of politics. Now we have all the usual suspects coming out and condemning the leadership. 

The above is all mute if the Labour party have evidence of Campbell saying he would vote/advise people to vote LD  prior to the polls closing.

• Upvote 1

Someone should put all these regulars into a Mortal Kombat game, Rachel Riley vs George Galloway, Galloway could throw his hat like Kung Lao, Riley's finishing move would be to denounce you to her Twitter followers who'd pile on you while telling her how beautiful she is. 'antisemitic trope character assassination-ality'. 

Not that I'm a fan of Campbell but where's Hoey's P45? She's been attending events organised by Brexit Party members and was surprised Labour leavers voted for Labour. If you're going to expel one person for going against the party surely you need to expel everyone who has voted against the party or goes against the party line?

21 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Not that I'm a fan of Campbell but where's Hoey's P45? She's been attending events organised by Brexit Party members and was surprised Labour leavers voted for Labour. If you're going to expel one person for going against the party surely you need to expel everyone who has voted against the party or goes against the party line?

Going against the party line isn't against the rules, is it? 

2 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Going against the party line isn't against the rules, is it? 

So a sitting MP can for all intents and purposes campaign for another political party and it's not against the rules? Labour need to have a look at the rules I think.

13 minutes ago, Jenson said:

The latest coup attempt is well and truly on now.

I just wish all of these cunts would fuck off and join Change UK. All of these people who moan about the Labour party representing traditional Labour values... there’s a clue in there somewhere.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, skend04 said:

So a sitting MP can for all intents and purposes campaign for another political party and it's not against the rules?

It does seem that way. I'm reminded of a certain Labour MP who regularly attended Communist Party of Britain fundraisers, and who wrote an unpaid column for their newspaper for 13 years. He was never expelled.