You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

4 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Alistair Campbell kicked out for voting Lib Dems. Correct decision. Why not Hodge too though? 

What about all the tactical voting strategies that were promoted by Labour at the last election? People were encouraged not to vote for Labour then weren’t they? 

Just now, Rico1304 said:

What about all the tactical voting strategies that were promoted by Labour at the last election? People were encouraged not to vote for Labour then weren’t they? 

Corbyn congratulated George Galloway on beating Labour in the 2012 Bradford West by-election. Fair to say the rules are somewhat selectively applied.

Still, it's nice that Labour can expel certain people from the party so quickly. As Jess Phillips has just pointed out, a man who threatened to kill her and a member of her CLP who is a Holocaust denier have not been expelled, merely suspended. Priorities, people.

• Upvote 2

I am glad that the EHRC have taken on the option of investigating Labour as we will now get an independent look at the mechanics of the disciplinary cases and decisions and can take on any findings they come up with. My guess is that there will be findings that disciplinary cases could and should have been dealt with better and quicker , but that the party is not ' institutionally anti-semitic ' as claimed by the likes of JLM and CAA.

All I would ask is that people desperate to have it started respect the conclusions.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I am glad that the EHRC have taken on the option of investigating Labour as we will now get an independent look at the mechanics of the disciplinary cases and decisions and can take on any findings they come up with. My guess is that there will be findings that disciplinary cases could and should have been dealt with better and quicker , but that the party is not ' institutionally anti-semitic ' as claimed by the likes of JLM and CAA.

All I would ask is that people desperate to have it started respect the conclusions.

I think you’re right. Some individuals will get a hammering and be forced out. Be interesting to see what really happened when the process was allegedly improved and who knew what.  

• Upvote 1

Massive own goal expelling Campbell as it will just fan the flames of the anti-semitism debate.  Settling scores with individuals just ignores the Brexit elephant sitting in the corner of the room. Corbyn talks about bringing people together and starts to purge members for voting against Labour in the European elections of which there will probably be thousands. Bonkers

2 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Massive own goal expelling Campbell as it will just fan the flames of the anti-semitism debate.  Settling scores with individuals just ignores the Brexit elephant sitting in the corner of the room. Corbyn talks about bringing people together and starts to purge members for voting against Labour in the European elections of which there will probably be thousands. Bonkers

Far be it from me to tell Labour how to run their party, but it's certainly an odd way of trying to win back the millions of Labour voters who switched to the Lib Dems and Greens.

Campbell was one of the cabal advising McNicol on strategies to get rid of thousands of pesky members who might vote for Corbyn in the party elections , so I am not going to lose much sleep.

Also, not voting Labour was not the main problem here , doing the rounds of every paper / media outlet to make sure everybody knew he hadn't probably meant a decision had to be made.

It's mad that Campbell has been expelled for a clear and indisputable breach of a clause of the party rules that results in automatic expulsion while other people who have allegedly broken rules are afforded due process to have the allegations against them examined. 

What's the world coming too! 

Sigh... 

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Far be it from me to tell Labour how to run their party, but it's certainly an odd way of trying to win back the millions of Labour voters who switched to the Lib Dems and Greens.

It's not winning back the European election voters but hanging on to the several million remain voters that supported them in the last GE.  They seem to be finally lining up behind a second vote so to make Campbell a martyr is beyond stupid

7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

It is far from you , SD , as you should be more worried about the inevitable slide back of people who saw your party as a convenient protest outlet in a one-policy election , but will remember you as Tory poodles in a real general election.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Anyway, it's been a nice get together, but I'm just off to check Twitter to see if those complaining about the efficiency of Campbell's expulsion where also distressed by the rapid nature of Derek Hatton's expulsion.... 

Shouldn’t you be more worried about him being allowed back in when the tweet that got him banned was from 2012? 

17 minutes ago, sir roger said:

It is far from you , SD , as you should be more worried about the inevitable slide back of people who saw your party as a convenient protest outlet in a one-policy election , but will remember you as Tory poodles in a real general election.

Yep, just keep peddling the Tory stooge line, it's worked so well lately.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog said:

Many Lib Dem and Green Party voters who are big fans of Alister Campbell, is there?