You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

On 02/05/2019 at 21:50, Babb'sBurstNad said:

As a slight aside to this issue of Hobson, I've been reading David Aaronovitch's Voodoo Histories book, and the first chapter is about The Protocols of the Elders of Zion. It's a really interesting insight into not only how anti-semitic tropes were prevalent at the time - and spread across the political spectrum - but how fabrications can become solidified when disseminated by the right people.

Ever read any Brookmyre? Scottish crime writer, pretty good, generally adds a good dose of humour to his books.

released a new book on 25/04 called fallen angel, very good, takes the McCann story as a bit of inspiration but he also references voodoo histories, suspicious minds and toxic parents.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, arthur friedenreich said:

Ever read any Brookmyre? Scottish crime writer, pretty good, generally adds a good dose of humour to his books.

released a new book on 25/04 called fallen angel, very good, takes the McCann story as a bit of inspiration but he also references voodoo histories, suspicious minds and toxic parents.

No, never heard of him, but that sounds interesting so I'll keep my eye open for him, cheers.

I'm a tight sod when it comes to books, so I generally wait until they pop up in a local book exchange or a charity shop. 

36 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

No, never heard of him, but that sounds interesting so I'll keep my eye open for him, cheers.

I'm a tight sod when it comes to books, so I generally wait until they pop up in a local book exchange or a charity shop. 

All his books are pretty good man, if you see any pick them up.

On 02/05/2019 at 12:02, Strontium Dog said:

Needless to say, I don't agree. Especially if the rumours are to be believed, and Labour and the Tories are close to agreeing a joint Brexit policy.

Returning to the point of "if the rumours are to be believed"...

https://voxpoliticalonline.com/2019/05/05/labour-backlash-against-cross-party-brexit-deal-shows-up-media-lies-about-local-elections/?fbclid=IwAR3lyqa0zodElwUlACV_czLNjLscjyfV40jrmeOldQZ62e6JW4PEYxapHL4

It seems Mrs May had supported a customs union – but only on a temporary basis.  Labour won’t have it.

And according to Labour’s Shadow Health Secretary Jonathan Ashworth, if a customs union is temporary, private health companies from the United States could still take control of NHS contracts. Labour won’t have that either.

Labour claimed that details of the talks had been briefed to Tory newspapers to give the impression an agreement was only days away.A Conservative source told The Independent  the party was “optimistic” of a quick conclusion, saying: “Tuesday will be the time when we know the likelihood of a possible deal.”

Strikingly, a senior Labour source denied the resumption of cross-party talks on Tuesday would be a make-or-break moment, even as the Tories insisted it would.

11 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Returning to the point of "if the rumours are to be believed"...

https://voxpoliticalonline.com/2019/05/05/labour-backlash-against-cross-party-brexit-deal-shows-up-media-lies-about-local-elections/?fbclid=IwAR3lyqa0zodElwUlACV_czLNjLscjyfV40jrmeOldQZ62e6JW4PEYxapHL4

It seems Mrs May had supported a customs union – but only on a temporary basis.  Labour won’t have it.

And according to Labour’s Shadow Health Secretary Jonathan Ashworth, if a customs union is temporary, private health companies from the United States could still take control of NHS contracts. Labour won’t have that either.

Labour claimed that details of the talks had been briefed to Tory newspapers to give the impression an agreement was only days away.A Conservative source told The Independent  the party was “optimistic” of a quick conclusion, saying: “Tuesday will be the time when we know the likelihood of a possible deal.”

Strikingly, a senior Labour source denied the resumption of cross-party talks on Tuesday would be a make-or-break moment, even as the Tories insisted it would.

I wouldn't say the independent is a Tory newspaper. It's been more critical of this government and its handling of brexit than the labour front bench. 

5 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

I wouldn't say the independent is a Tory newspaper. It's been more critical of this government and its handling of brexit than the labour front bench. 

I agree; it was an inaccurate and unnecessary use of the word "Tory".

His rhetorical skills are not exactly top notch here, he should have either left out the word scapegoats or the words bankers, employers, Tories. Or instead of solutions say something like the real culprits. This way it sounds a bit like, now is not the time for blame game, it's time to fix the mess Tories made.

He is on the (old) message of class divide instead of leave / remain, but he (and his rhetoric teacher) will be slightly disappointed when he looks back at this.

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

We need solutions, not scapegoats, in a Tweet that offers zero of the former and three of the latter.

Top bantz.

Actually, zero scapegoats and zero solutions. That said, I'm not sure solutions to those issues would fit in the 142 character limit. Maybe I'm just caught up in the haze of Corbynmania. 

EDIT: Was literally just about to post the video above. 

45 minutes ago, SasaS said:

His rhetorical skills are not exactly top notch here, he should have either left out the word scapegoats or the words bankers, employers, Tories. Or instead of solutions say something like the real culprits. This way it sounds a bit like, now is not the time for blame game, it's time to fix the mess Tories made.

He is on the (old) message of class divide instead of leave / remain, but he (and his rhetoric teacher) will be slightly disappointed when he looks back at this.

There has never been a tweet with "top notch rhetorical skills" and it's daft to go looking for that sort of stuff in 280 characters.

And the old message of the class divide is still the entire fucking point of what is wrong with this country; the Brexit divide is a symptom of that.

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

There has never been a tweet with "top notch rhetorical skills" and it's daft to go looking for that sort of stuff in 280 characters.

And the old message of the class divide is still the entire fucking point of what is wrong with this country; the Brexit divide is a symptom of that.

It's not a particularly well written one, because he seems to contradict himself in it, which you shouldn't do, regardless of the number of characters.

The "old" message refers to his previous relatively recent attempt(s) to downplay/bridge the Brexit divide in his speech and go back to the "real" divide.    

When all the talk was of mandatory reselection of MPs and all the factional brouhaha in Liverpool City Council, I paid it no mind and had some sympathy for those who felt they were being hounded out by people who had agendas. But I have to admit I think a new broom is often called for. 

I've contacted four councillors in Liverpool in the last few months about various things, one was total shite and the other three didn't respond at all, longstanding councillors in what I'd say are cushy wards. 

Where I used to live there are - among the range of talents on display - a married couple in their 80s on the council raking in 30k between them in special allowances, their daughter is on same council as is their granddaughter. The nan has often responded to constituents' emails with choice words such as 'are you soft in the head?'. 

For some councils where they're dyed in the wool Labour, it's obvious they're just a career option for someone to make some easy money on the side, like a low-level version of Naples. Take home your allowance, nudge nudge I'll get you on to the fire board and the police board and the waste board, do fuck all and blame everythig that goes wrong on cuts. 

Obviously, you will have seen wall-to-wall coverage of this in the national media, but it seems that there is evidence of the anti-Corbyn wing of Labour deliberately dragging their heels on anti-Semitism, in a bid to discredit the left.

https://labourlist.org/2019/05/jeremy-corbyn-pushed-for-action-on-antisemitism-but-was-held-back-by-bureaucracy/