You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Funny how this is not all over Sky News;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48107957

MPs have reported the Home Office to the equalities watchdog over the Windrush scandal, accusing it of unlawful discrimination.

The group of 87 says the Home Office discriminated as a "direct result" of so-called hostile environment policies.

The letter to the Equalities and Human Rights Commission claims the government broke, and is breaking, equalities law.

The Home Office said it was "committed to righting the wrongs experienced by the Windrush generation".

3 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

The general public don't give a fuck. Most of them either didn't care in the first place, are bored rigid by it all now, or can see it for the pitiful smear campaign it is. 

Genuinely baffling they're still running with it. Surely it's time to move on to something else. Just to freshen it up, like.

I think you give the general public too much credit.  

I think Lib Dem member, and former councillor and LibDem blog of the year winner, Jonathan Calder makes some good points

It would be possible to restate Hobson's theories about the origin of imperialism without mentioning anybody's race, but there is certainly a strand in British political radicalism whose opposition to high finance is too aware that those financiers are Jewish.

So Corbyn should have drawn attention to the antisemitism of Hobson's work and condemned it.

In his, defence, however, neither the Wikipedia page on Hobson, nor the article about him from the Liberal Democrat History Group nor the entry on him in the Dictionary of Liberal Thought make any mention of his antisemitism either.

I'm looking forward to going back and looking at Stront's scathing critic of these people that he definitely would have made, unless of course Rico got there first. If anybody could link me to that, that'd save me searching. 

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

I'll happily condemn every liberal who wrote a foreword to that book without mentioning the antisemitism it contains.

Ah, only the foreword? You're not interested in liberals who review the book and don't mention it. Understood. Antisemitism, just for forewords. Got it.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Ah, only the foreword? You're not interested in liberals who review the book and don't mention it. Understood. Antisemitism, just for forewords. Got it.

If you're asking me whether every vaguely positive mention of Hobson and his work must reference antisemitism, it's a resounding no.

A good analogy is Shakespeare. I wouldn't expect every person who professed to be a Shakespeare fan to qualify it by mentioning antisemitism. But it would be decidedly odd if a person who was writing a foreword to a new edition of The Merchant of Venice didn't mention it. Therein lies the difference.

9 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

If you're asking me whether every vaguely positive mention of Hobson and his work must reference antisemitism, it's a resounding no.

That, quite clearly, isn't what I was asking. I was talking about a full review, which you haven't castigated for not mentioning the 1902, pre-war, pre-holocaust, 100+ year old tropes that seem to briefly appear and not be a major part of the book. A full review on the Liberal Democrat History Group website. Not a 'vaguely positive mention'. A review of The Merchant of Venice might warrant a mention. So I disagree with your not-so good analogy.

18 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Why don't people ignore the Libtard, Clegg-felching, trolling blob?  Don't let him derail the thread with all this nonsense.

'Libtard'. That's only acceptable to use as an insult if you're an obese, southern-inbred Trump supporter. 

But, to answer your needlessly insulting question... because I think he's salvageable and with some tweaks to the way he presents himself he could live up to some of the praise he heaps upon himself. 

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog said:

A good analogy is Shakespeare. I wouldn't expect every person who professed to be a Shakespeare fan to qualify it by mentioning antisemitism. But it would be decidedly odd if a person who was writing a foreword to a new edition of The Merchant of Venice didn't mention it. Therein lies the difference.

Is anti-Semitism central to that book? Like everyone else here, I haven’t read it, so the only anti-Semitism I'm aware of is a few lines on page 64.

It seems a more accurate Shakespeare analogy would be writing a forewing to A Midsummer Night's Dream without condemning the heightist insult ("begone thou minimus of hindering knotgrass made") it contains in one scene.

38 minutes ago, moof said:

James O’Brien is a total fucking hack. 

I used to think he was OK, but now it seems that his schtick consists of little more than bullying stupid Brexiteers* who phone in to his shows.

(FAO Gnash - I'm not saying all Brexiteers are stupid; I'm saying that O'Brien selectively bullies the stupid ones.)

Meanwhile, away from "Corbyn is an anti-Semite/a Remoaner/a Brexiteer" the planet is fucked as a result (largely) of the worst excesses of capitalism.  This is an emergency.

Guess who is taking a lead in taking this shit seriously.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/climate-change-environment-emergency-commons-motion-mps-vote-latest-a8895456.html?fbclid=IwAR0t9R34zogGtFBO3F7P3nPX_NvgD8NaaazBcFphN0eii3q8cLSiizNIu0c

4 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I used to think he was OK, but now it seems that his schtick consists of little more than bullying stupid Brexiteers* who phone in to his shows.

(FAO Gnash - I'm not saying all Brexiteers are stupid; I'm saying that O'Brien selectively bullies the stupid ones.)

Most are fucking morons though

15 hours ago, moof said:

James O’Brien is a total fucking hack. 

He's the very definition of why the FBPE lot are horrendous. Privileged cunts who can't see the bigger picture in all of this. Same goes for any 'labour' supporter in the wider media. They care about about one thing. 

1 minute ago, RobbieOR said:

He's the very definition of why the FBPE lot are horrendous. Privileged cunts who can't see the bigger picture in all of this. Same goes for any 'labour' supporter in the wider media. They care about about one thing. 

Yes, as long as we get JC into power we can ignore any negatives amongst him and his followers.  

I can’t get that James O’Brien link to work on my phone, but one thing he is not is a hack. He may or may not be a twat, a bully, or whatever else. A hack? Not for me. I’m going to try playing it on my PC in a bit. But considering who posted it, I suspect it will be criticising Corbyn (otherwise, of course, he wouldn’t posted it).