You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog said:

It's a joke about Seumas Milne being the real leader of the Labour Party.

I don't think Corbyn would post a jokey meme, as he (in common with most of those that share his political outlook) is utterly humourless.

Maybe it would have been okay if Riley had talked about lynching Corbyn instead? I recall that kind of language was okay when McDonnell talked about lynching Esther McVey.

Inane whataboutery aside, I think your attitude towards this is pretty disturbing and will come back to bite you. 

6 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Inane whataboutery aside, I think your attitude towards this is pretty disturbing and will come back to bite you. 

I think I'm pretty consistent in defending people's right to joke about just about anything when it is obviously a joke. Because you would have to be insane to believe that a TV celebrity would actually incite their followers to commit violence against politicians, not least through the medium of memes. Synthetic outrage because of who she is, and who he is.

7 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

I think I'm pretty consistent in defending people's right to joke about just about anything when it is obviously a joke. Because you would have to be insane to believe that a TV celebrity would actually incite their followers to commit violence against politicians, not least through the medium of memes. Synthetic outrage because of who she is, and who he is.

That very much feels like you're saying I have an issue with what she said because she's a Jew. Which would mean you're playing the antisemitism card, without me having mentioned anything to do with her being a Jew, all to deflect from her quite clearly doing something irresponsible. As for the comment 'you would have to be insane to believe the a TV celebrity would actually incite their followers to commit violence against politicians' line, that's ridiculous for two reasons. Firstly, I've not said she is inciting her followers to commit violence and secondly because of course TV celebrities can do that. 

You are completely failing to acknowledge that she is being called out for posting in a thoroughly irresponsible way that could lead to one of her angry army of twats to 'take out the leader'. She is joking about taking out politicians in a country where we've recently seen one of the politicians murdered in the fucking street, and done so in a politically tense period. You defending this is because you are anti-Corbyn and anti-Labour. Her being a Jew has absolutely fuck all to do with anything, and you bringing that up as pretty low. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I didn't read Stront's comment as intimating it was because she was Jewish, I read it as it being because she was a vocal critic of Corbyn. Who she is, not what she is.

Precisely this. People really need to stop reading things that aren't there.

9 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Precisely this. People really need to stop reading things that aren't there.

Wow. Just... wow. Stop reading things that aren't there, you say. Remind me again of your opinion on Corbyn's 'English sense of humour' comment. You were straight in there with the 'hey, let's not read into things that aren't there' with that one, huh? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I didn't read Stront's comment as intimating it was because she was Jewish, I read it as it being because she was a vocal critic of Corbyn. Who she is, not what she is.

Because of who she is. Okay, she's a celebrity off the telly. Surely that's not why they're attributing it, after all there's loads of celebrities off the telly who say crazy shit. She's a critic of Corbyn. Well, yes. She keeps calling him antisemitic, for example the picture below. In fact, almost all of her criticism is based on antisemitism. She was barely in the public eye on twitter for political thoughts before that. It was pretty clear to me that it was 'Jew' and 'antisemite'. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 06.51.11.png

But sure, let's be super-duper fair and say it was just a completely honest comment about her being a critic of Corbyn, which I think is massive bollocks, then you have to ask... why is she posting the above, why is she talking of 'taking out' political leaders, and why aren't those - like Stronts - who have been up in arms about any little thing said or done, up in arms about this. Is it because of who she is? Who he is? Hmn. 

Labour just tweeted Happy Passover to its Jewish supporters.  Except the tweet showed a lovely plump loaf - something Jews can’t eat for 8 days. 

It’s clearly not AS, it’s just a bit clumsy. But wouldn’t you think they’d have run it passed an expert before releasing it?  If they can’t get that right????

theyve since deleted it. 

43 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I think he has blocked me. Anyone else fancy asking him what he meant by "what she is" ? 

Not after an argument I am just wondering. 

Apparently a 'critic of Corbyn'. As a fellow critic of Corbyn, I'm not sure why that one was aimed in a reply at me but... ya know, whatever.