You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Isn’t it more that they offered to talk through their differences and other people accused them of grooming?  A pretty slanderous thing to say as Anubis would agree. 

Nobody accused them of grooming. Well, not in the article that apparently forms the basis for the legal threats. 

Offering to talk through your differences is fine. Sending loads of tweets to a person who'd asked to be left alone isn't fine. 

It was ridiculous and people were right to call out the troll for her behaviour. She knew full well what she was doing. 

10 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

And, I see that Rachel Riley and Oberman are threatening a 17 year old girl on Twitter this time, via their solicitor, threatening legal action. 

Because that's how you carry out pre-action protocol shit, not your standard letter before action, but do it all on Twitter. Because you don't foresee that your blind followers will pile on and harass ANOTHER young woman. 

Utter scumbags. 

This fella, who is fighting antisemitism by doing a Nazi salute.

530AC03D-453C-4545-B483-84C19B9B9EE1.png

42 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Reading (well, skimming) that Medium article, am I the only one who gets all nosy when people post screenshots and don't edit out tabs and taskbars? 

Over 20 thousand unread emails, still hasn't removed Explorer despite using Chrome, and listens to music via YouTube. Seems a bit of a wrong'un to me.

Uses chrome = wrongun

cast aside your alphabet addiction, leave the machine

7 hours ago, Razoray said:

say for example a British or US celebrity was asked on French tv in 2003 what he thought of the Iraq war and he responded nuetrally, or that he didn't care, or it was none of his business, or that he wasn't a politician, or that it wasn't his decision so hey-ho fuck it. If the show's host disagreed with this opinion, referencing the killing of innocent millions including children. 

Would anyone sane on earth think that the interviewer was racist against British, or anti-American. Or would they think that he had a fucking point

In your analogy a British or an American national is asked about a specific policy of their own country, the proper analogy would be if the celebrity was asked how can you and the rest of the Anglophonic world still think you have any humanity if you are not speaking out against the Iraq war.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog said:

As do I? It's a simple fact. That said, you can still disagree with it the fact it happens, and that if you want to vote for a party based on their principles, you can't you have to mentally transfer that vote to an MP. 

The obsession with anti-Semitism is tedious. Just because a group is a minority doesn't mean they can't act in ways that are self-serving, nepotistic, social-climbing and parasitic on a host nation. Not all Jews act in this way, obviously, but there's an underlying ideology twisted by members of that group to justify certain behaviours, no different to Islam.

2 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

That article and the Oberman tweets is like reading a Nelly-Torres/Rico thousand page nark off.

They lost me when she switches offer from coffee to tea... I tried to make an honest effort and read it to see what the fuss is all about but half way through I felt as if my brain was being ground to make the said coffee.

2 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Nobody accused them of grooming. Well, not in the article that apparently forms the basis for the legal threats. 

Offering to talk through your differences is fine. Sending loads of tweets to a person who'd asked to be left alone isn't fine. 

It was ridiculous and people were right to call out the troll for her behaviour. She knew full well what she was doing. 

Thousands of tweets accusing them of groomingnwere sent.  

10 hours ago, Razoray said:

I'm Irish so excuse any ignorance but saying that a left leaning politician shouldn't be allowed near the Labour party is exactly what is wrong with ENGLISH politics IMO. There are barely 3 parties represented in parliament in England so if someone definitely does not agree with the policies of the other 2 then he has no home to go to.

The point I'm trying to make is that it is bananas that approx 55 million people are represented by 2 parties +6 Lib-Dems. It's as bad as the situation in the US. 

How is 1st past the post still a thing in a modern country? A party needs to be virtually all encompassing if only 2 of them represent the will of a huge diverse population. If 1st past the post existed Labour would probably split into at least 3 parties and Cornyn would be in a Left leaning party. He wouldn't be accused of being a fucking "commie" by a lot of his party because his party would be generally aligned with his policies. 

How the Republicans in US and Tories in UK have managed to keep the uber rich, the ultra-religious and the dirt poor uneducated S×n-reading, Fox-watching population together is a fucking magic trick.

Introduce a PR system in the UK and surely elected officials will more often represent their constituents and a more diverse but open discussion takes place. 

God help you, if he exists obviously, getting a coalition to govern though. 

I agree with most of what you say, mate, but you're well off with the Hatton stuff.

He's a self serving scumbag who was corrupt and mendacious when he briefly controlled Liverpool council in the 80s.

He's spent the last 30 years building up a property empire and made himself a very wealthy man in northern Cyprus and Liverpool. By all accounts he hasn't changed much with interests in Car Parks being particularly bothersome.. they're a well known money laundering option, lots of cash.

I don't want slimeballs like that anywhere near the Labour Party, thank you very much

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

This doesn't even make sense.

Of course it does.

PR only works if the emphasis is on voting for a party. If the emphasis  (as in Corbyn's tweet, which you say you agree with) is on the individual candidate, then FPTP preserves the link between the MP and the constituents.

(At least, that's the theory.)

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Of course it does.

PR only works if the emphasis is on voting for a party. If the emphasis  (as in Corbyn's tweet, which you say you agree with) is on the individual candidate, then FPTP preserves the link between the MP and the constituents.

(At least, that's the theory.)

I think he’s saying that you do vote for MP, not that you should or that you can have PR that way. He’s right, you do vote for MPs, so was Corbyn.