You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

46 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Cheers lads. Is there anything in the rules to stop them from being members? Have Labour relaxed the rules to let them back in or something?

Galloway ran as an independent in 2017 in Manchester Gorton so I doubt he would be eligible to join. In fact his Twitter feed suggests some ambiguous information.  Labour seem to suggest he is ineligible. My money is on him running as an independent either in Wavertree or against one of the gimp XI if circumstances allow. As several MPs have just left I would assume Labour would make it as difficult as possible for those who run against Labour to return quickly. 

Brownie, I’d recommend the book ‘Militant’ by Michael Crick to you. It’s an excellent book wrote at the time and details the entryist tactics used and their aims. It’s quite an eye opener, and not biased against them, merely factual. You’d be surprised how easy it is to take over a CLP with a tiny number of people.

It also gives a lot of history on communism in the Labour Party from the beginning to the time the book was wrote in the 80s and the different factions (trots, Stalinists etc...)

With regards to Galloway, apart from all his other faults, I’ve seen his rape comments getting dredged up quite a few times today so if he was ever admitted to Labour I think there would be massive negative coverage over that. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19323783

George Galloway has been criticised by anti-rape campaigners after suggesting Julian Assange was accused of nothing more than "bad sexual etiquette".

Mr Assange is wanted in Sweden to face allegations - which he denies - of sexual assault made by two women.

The Respect MP said the women's claims were "totally unproven" and the Wikileaks founder had been "set up".

Rape charity Crisis said Mr Galloway's comments were "offensive" and "deeply concerning".

The UK has said Mr Assange must be extradited to Sweden despite being given political asylum by Ecuador.

Mr Assange remains in the Ecuadorean embassy in London, where he has taken refuge, but the UK has said he will not be given safe passage to the Latin American country.

'Bad manners'

Mr Assange insists that he had consensual sex with each of the women who have made allegations against him.

His legal team has said he wants assurances from the Swedish government that he will not be extradited to the US - where Wikileaks caused a storm last year by publishing thousands of leaked diplomatic cables and correspondence.

Mr Galloway, a frequent critic of the US and UK governments, said Mr Assange's "only crime was to expose, through Wikileaks, malfeasance by states including our own and the US on a truly gargantuan scale".

In a thirty minute podcast, the controversial anti-war MP said it was "an extraordinary coincidence that public enemy number one, Julian Assange, somehow gets inveigled with two women with incredibly complex political backgrounds who just, at the right time, come forward with allegations of sexual misconduct against him".

"Let me tell you, I think that Julian Assange's personal sexual behaviour is sordid, disgusting, and I condemn it," he said.

"But even taken at its worst, if the allegations made by these two women were true, 100 per cent true, and even if a camera in the room captured them, they don't constitute rape. 

"At least not rape as anyone with any sense can possibly recognise it. And somebody has to say this."

'Factually incorrect'

The Bradford West MP suggested one of the women had claimed she invited Mr Assange back to her flat, had consensual sex with him and then "woke up to him having sex with her again - something which can happen, you know".

On the issue of whether this would constitute rape or not, Mr Galloway suggested that "not everybody needs to be asked prior to each insertion". 

"Some people believe that when you go to bed with somebody, take off your clothes, and have sex with them and then fall asleep, you're already in the sex game with them.

"It might be really bad manners not to have tapped her on the shoulder and said, 'do you mind if I do it again?' 

"It might be really sordid and bad sexual etiquette, but whatever else it is, it is not rape or you bankrupt the term rape of all meaning."

Rape Crisis said the MP's understanding of what constituted rape appeared to be "factually incorrect" and that if the woman concerned was asleep when the sexual encounter began, consent could not "reasonably" have been given.

"Having had consensual sex with a woman once does not give a man licence to then have sex with her again at any time and in any way he pleases and assume consent is given," a spokeswoman said.

"By the same token, having had consensual sex with someone once does not mean a woman has forever forfeited her right to withdraw or refuse her consent to further sex with that person.

"Sex without consent is rape. Mr Galloway's description of such sexual violence as 'really bad manners' is offensive and deeply concerning." Mr Galloway was not available for comment.

Legal differences

There are differences in the law regarding rape in the UK and Sweden. 

In the UK, a rape has been committed if there is intentional penetration without consent and if the accused "does not reasonably believe" that consent has been given.

The maximum sentence is life imprisonment although Rape Crisis says the average sentence is four years. 

In Sweden, there are gradations in the legal definition of rape - each carrying different sentences.

The most serious kind, involving major violence, carries a sentence of ten years. 

The concept of "regular rape", still involving violence but not of the most extreme kind, and "unlawful coercion", where for instance emotional pressure may have been applied, carry sentences of six and four years respectively.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Galloway ran as an independent in 2017 in Manchester Gorton so I doubt he would be eligible to join. In fact his Twitter feed suggests some ambiguous information.  Labour seem to suggest he is ineligible. My money is on him running as an independent either in Wavertree or against one of the gimp XI if circumstances allow. As several MPs have just left I would assume Labour would make it as difficult as possible for those who run against Labour to return quickly. 

Gorton is a fucking shit hole, really bad. Especially since Club826 shut. 

6 minutes ago, Boss said:

To be fair to Galloway, those rape charges against Assange are entirely bogus and are only used to extradite him so he can face trial for leaking classified documents. 

Doesnt really matter whether the charges are trumped up or not, saying you don’t have to ask before each insertion and saying you’re in the ‘sex game’ with them are terrible comments for a politician to make.

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

You are aware he was a politician before the radio?  He got the radio job because he is a mouthy cunt.  He’ll carry on doing that but will be seen as a labour spokesperson. It won’t end well. 

Yes. Im fully aware of who Degsy is. And as I said nothing out of the ordinary. 

14 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Brownie, I’d recommend the book ‘Militant’ by Michael Crick to you. It’s an excellent book wrote at the time and details the entryist tactics used and their aims. It’s quite an eye opener, and not biased against them, merely factual. You’d be surprised how easy it is to take over a CLP with a tiny number of people.

It also gives a lot of history on communism in the Labour Party from the beginning to the time the book was wrote in the 80s and the different factions (trots, Stalinists etc...)

With regards to Galloway, apart from all his other faults, I’ve seen his rape comments getting dredged up quite a few times today so if he was ever admitted to Labour I think there would be massive negative coverage over that. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19323783

George Galloway has been criticised by anti-rape campaigners after suggesting Julian Assange was accused of nothing more than "bad sexual etiquette".

Mr Assange is wanted in Sweden to face allegations - which he denies - of sexual assault made by two women.

The Respect MP said the women's claims were "totally unproven" and the Wikileaks founder had been "set up".

Rape charity Crisis said Mr Galloway's comments were "offensive" and "deeply concerning".

The UK has said Mr Assange must be extradited to Sweden despite being given political asylum by Ecuador.

Mr Assange remains in the Ecuadorean embassy in London, where he has taken refuge, but the UK has said he will not be given safe passage to the Latin American country.

'Bad manners'

Mr Assange insists that he had consensual sex with each of the women who have made allegations against him.

His legal team has said he wants assurances from the Swedish government that he will not be extradited to the US - where Wikileaks caused a storm last year by publishing thousands of leaked diplomatic cables and correspondence.

Mr Galloway, a frequent critic of the US and UK governments, said Mr Assange's "only crime was to expose, through Wikileaks, malfeasance by states including our own and the US on a truly gargantuan scale".

In a thirty minute podcast, the controversial anti-war MP said it was "an extraordinary coincidence that public enemy number one, Julian Assange, somehow gets inveigled with two women with incredibly complex political backgrounds who just, at the right time, come forward with allegations of sexual misconduct against him".

"Let me tell you, I think that Julian Assange's personal sexual behaviour is sordid, disgusting, and I condemn it," he said.

"But even taken at its worst, if the allegations made by these two women were true, 100 per cent true, and even if a camera in the room captured them, they don't constitute rape. 

"At least not rape as anyone with any sense can possibly recognise it. And somebody has to say this."

'Factually incorrect'

The Bradford West MP suggested one of the women had claimed she invited Mr Assange back to her flat, had consensual sex with him and then "woke up to him having sex with her again - something which can happen, you know".

On the issue of whether this would constitute rape or not, Mr Galloway suggested that "not everybody needs to be asked prior to each insertion". 

"Some people believe that when you go to bed with somebody, take off your clothes, and have sex with them and then fall asleep, you're already in the sex game with them.

"It might be really bad manners not to have tapped her on the shoulder and said, 'do you mind if I do it again?' 

"It might be really sordid and bad sexual etiquette, but whatever else it is, it is not rape or you bankrupt the term rape of all meaning."

Rape Crisis said the MP's understanding of what constituted rape appeared to be "factually incorrect" and that if the woman concerned was asleep when the sexual encounter began, consent could not "reasonably" have been given.

"Having had consensual sex with a woman once does not give a man licence to then have sex with her again at any time and in any way he pleases and assume consent is given," a spokeswoman said.

"By the same token, having had consensual sex with someone once does not mean a woman has forever forfeited her right to withdraw or refuse her consent to further sex with that person.

"Sex without consent is rape. Mr Galloway's description of such sexual violence as 'really bad manners' is offensive and deeply concerning." Mr Galloway was not available for comment.

Legal differences

There are differences in the law regarding rape in the UK and Sweden. 

In the UK, a rape has been committed if there is intentional penetration without consent and if the accused "does not reasonably believe" that consent has been given.

The maximum sentence is life imprisonment although Rape Crisis says the average sentence is four years. 

In Sweden, there are gradations in the legal definition of rape - each carrying different sentences.

The most serious kind, involving major violence, carries a sentence of ten years. 

The concept of "regular rape", still involving violence but not of the most extreme kind, and "unlawful coercion", where for instance emotional pressure may have been applied, carry sentences of six and four years respectively.

Thanks mate.

4 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Doesnt really matter whether the charges are trumped up or not, saying you don’t have to ask before each insertion and saying you’re in the ‘sex game’ with them are terrible comments for a politician to make.

Totally. Not condoning what he said, just saying that the charges themselves are bogus. 

11 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Clumsy as fuck. But I don’t think they amount to rape apology. 

Just now, Section_31 said:

Don't know how anyone can watch Galloway vs the US Senate and not think he's sharp as fuck, in fact I don't think I've ever seen him come off the loser in a discussion.

Oh I'm sure everyone recognises how sharp Galloway is. But sometimes a lack of humility can be an achilles heel . I've heard some people say in another timeline if he didn't have principles he could have been anything he wanted in the Labour party. 

41 minutes ago, Boss said:

I have it on good authority that Hatton is sound, but he is a communist. Let's be fucking real here. 

Is he fuck a communist.  He's an wideboy and an opportunist. He's every bit as bad as the likes of Philip Green.  He doesn't care who he has to fuck over, or how much bullshit he has to peddle, in order to get what he wants.  He's a cynical cunt who misled the naive, the plain thick and the hopeless to further his personal ambition.  He's the left's Boris Johnson. 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Don't know how anyone can watch Galloway vs the US Senate and not think he's sharp as fuck, in fact I don't think I've ever seen him come off the loser in a discussion.

Difficult to tell really given how he just shouts over anybody talking to him, surprised a lad as smart  as you is so in awe of such an obvious blowhard , he’s articulate for sure, so what, he’s full of wind. I’m sure if he was that brainy he’d have elevated himself to a status of that higher than a comedic rebel given his quite obvious hubris

Just now, Captain Howdy said:

Difficult to tell really given how he just shouts over anybody talking to him, surprised a lad as smart  as you is so in awe of such an obvious blowhard , he’s articulate for sure, so what, he’s full of wind. I’m sure if he was that brainy he’d have elevated himself to a status of that higher than a comedic rebel given his quite obvious hubris

He is very knowledgeable, there’s no doubt about that. Very experienced too. He’s a bit of a cock though.