You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Just now, M_B said:

The concern is she calls a snap election. With the current state of the Labour Party she'd probably increase her majority and get rid of the DUP.

Polls suggest she would fall short again. Yesterday an election looked on the cards. Today it's less likely. 

Corbyn might as well stop being so antidemocratic now, respect the result of the 2017 GE and crack on with being an opposition now instead of an enabler.

The only way of getting a “softer Brexit” is with the tories out of power.  Otherwise we are going out with a no deal or May’s deal.  The only way to get the tories out of power is with a general election.  There is absolutely no chance of this new group of gobshites voting a no confidence in May to trigger one because they wouldn’t win a single seat.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

It's funny if you're cretinous enough not to think the Lib Dems have been involved in this all along.

Quite possibly true. I doubt they would miss the opportunity of joining up with a pro-austerity pro -privatisation and pro-corporation tax cuts assortment of misfits. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, The Guest said:

The only way of getting a “softer Brexit” is with the tories out of power.  Otherwise we are going out with a no deal or May’s deal.  The only way to get the tories out of power is with a general election.  There is absolutely no chance of this new group of gobshites voting a no confidence in May to trigger one because they wouldn’t win a single seat.

Not true at all. If parliament vote to extend article 50 - whether that be for 3 months, 12 months or whatever - then anything is possible in that time.

It also doesn’t matter at all if this new group vote no confidence, if, and it’s a big if granted, May whips the Tories to vote for an early election, Labour will vote for it as well along with the SNP and it’ll happen.

16 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Not true at all. If parliament vote to extend article 50 - whether that be for 3 months, 12 months or whatever - then anything is possible in that time.

It also doesn’t matter at all if this new group vote no confidence, if, and it’s a big if granted, May whips the Tories to vote for an early election, Labour will vote for it as well along with the SNP and it’ll happen.

I don’t think either party will be voting for a 12 month extension.  I think a 3 month might happen but even then we will end up in the same situation as with May in power and the tories all falling into line.

I’ve got no idea what you’re second paragraph is on about.  It sounds like you’ve got mixed up with what a vote of no confidence is.  If the tories fancied an election they would have called it by now.  Their plan is clearly to run the clock down to force parliament to choose between her deal and no deal.  The only way to change the options is to get her out with a GE and the only way to do that is to win a vote of no confidence.  As I said there’s no way these snakes would go for that because it would be political suicide even if it did benefit the country.

2 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Quite possibly true. I doubt they would miss the opportunity of joining up with a pro-austerity pro -privatisation and pro-corporation tax cuts assortment of misfits. 

It'll be another one for the Lib Dems greatest hits album. 

1. I'll stand by EU (but still hardly anyone voted for us) - Vince Cable

2. (student fees) More, More, More - Nick Clegg

3. Prop me up before you go-go - Clegg! 

4. Sinful - Tim Farron and the Mighty Wah

5. Erotica(spresm) - Vincedonna

6. Who Let The Dogs Out - Jeremy Thorpe

7. Baby You Can Drive My Car - Chris Huhne 

8. RentBoys Are Back In Town - Thin Oaten 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I don’t think either party will be voting for a 12 month extension.  I think a 3 month might happen but even then we will end up in the same situation as with May in power and the tories all falling into line.

I’ve got no idea what you’re second paragraph is on about.  It sounds like you’ve got mixed up with what a vote of no confidence is.  If the tories fancied an election they would have called it by now.  Their plan is clearly to run the clock down to force parliament to choose between her deal and no deal.  The only way to change the options is to get her out with a GE and the only way to do that is to win a vote of no confidence.  As I said there’s no way these snakes would go for that because it would be political suicide even if it did benefit the country.

The first point is just your opinion. You might be right but parliament can still vote for an extension for any amount of time, providing the EU are ok with that of course. It’s not as clear cut as either no deal or the deal May negotiated, even though it’s clear they are the options she’s trying to boil it down to. The truth is no one has got a clue what the outcome will be.

Re the second paragraph, under the fixed terms parliament act, a general election will be called if two thirds of MPs vote for it, no? If May decides - after more Tory defections which loses the Tory/DUP majority - to call an election then so long as two thirds of parliament vote for it, an election will happen. The votes of the new group count for little in that scenario.

A lot of the Twitter political bods seems to think there are signs the Tories are preparing for a GE this year. Wouldn’t surprise me.

1. Get a load of V masks on, storm parliament and downing street.

2. Corbyn declares himself prime minister. Seems ok for Venezuela so they can't have double standards. Say this has the backing of Venezuela, Cuba, Iran, Russia, China.

3. Corbyn runs the country from his allotment.

4. If anyone whines about it, smear them as Islamophobic.

2 minutes ago, Turkish Delight said:

YouGov poll this morning has the Tories on 38%, Labour on 26% and Independent Group on 14%.

If a general election happens they'll get a massive majority now due to this split.

I wouldn't trust YouGov too much

Final call poll: Tories lead by seven points and set to increase majority

June 07, 2017, 6:00 p.m.

Our final call poll for the Times has voting intention figures of CON 42%, LAB 35%, LDEM 10%, UKIP 5%

Voting%20intention%206-7%20Jun-01.png

7 minutes ago, Turkish Delight said:

YouGov poll this morning has the Tories on 38%, Labour on 26% and Independent Group on 14%.

If a general election happens they'll get a massive majority now due to this split.

I don't know if that poll is accurate or not, but I definitely personally know a few people who have been polled by YouGov and indicated a willingness to take part in future polls but have never been contacted by YouGov again once they've revealed that they're an unfaltering Labour voter. 

42 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Nah, I can't see us ever joining up with Labour if I'm honest.

10 minutes ago, Turkish Delight said:

For a non-party, without any policies or an elected leader that's unbelieveable.

Hail to the GIMPs

6 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

The first point is just your opinion. You might be right but parliament can still vote for an extension for any amount of time, providing the EU are ok with that of course. It’s not as clear cut as either no deal or the deal May negotiated, even though it’s clear they are the options she’s trying to boil it down to. The truth is no one has got a clue what the outcome will be.

Re the second paragraph, under the fixed terms parliament act, a general election will be called if two thirds of MPs vote for it, no? If May decides - after more Tory defections which loses the Tory/DUP majority - to call an election then so long as two thirds of parliament vote for it, an election will happen. The votes of the new group count for little in that scenario.

A lot of the Twitter political bods seems to think there are signs the Tories are preparing for a GE this year. Wouldn’t surprise me.

The whole of it is my opinion, obviously.  My point which I think you still don’t get on the general election was that you can’t force May or the tories to have one.  If they want one then obviously they will get one because that’s what labour want as well.  If they don’t want one then this new group would not back a vote of no confidence to trigger an election because it would see them ousted from parliament.  This is even though it would likely lead to a softer Brexit than the tories are pushing for.  The reason for that is the chance there would be a labour government.