You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

2 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

The number of Conservative swing voters is a lot smaller than it was due to age, demographic changes, wealth distribution and Brexit since 1997. I would say the Conservative support is being held up by being the party of Brexit. The most realistic chances of getting these swing voters you suggest is converting Conservative voters who are more remain leaning and comfortable with paying more tax and improving public services and have few issues with immigration and a Britain culturally in 2019. I'd say that is a very small part of the Tory vote. 

If they voted Conservative and are remain leaning knowing the leader constantly spouted No Deal is better than a bad deal and actually put that in their manifesto I doubt a brief comment about Churchill is likely to be the decisive factor in their decision making.

But I think Labour have lost more votes by insulting the electorate over Brexit see my previous post times 100000 than any comment on Churchill but I don't see the outage regarding that so much. 

I don't agree with you. It's all a question of trust. And I think the swing voters believe they can't trust anyone and they'll go with whoever is likely to fuck them least. The labour party need to be making progress in that direction. In the last election they won some of their own traditional voters back by exactly that. Now they need to win the right leaning swing votes. This Churchill shit is just nonsense and no good can ever come of it. While I see other failings from labour since the last election, my point is this is just another one. Labour needs to be pulling people towards voting for them and not pushing them away. I feel certain this Churchill thing won't have won one vote and it's just a typical thing we see from the front bench to remind everyone how wacky they can be. 

We might have more anti-Semite bullshit incoming tomorrow (or sooner).

Survey of 27,000 left-wing Twitter accounts shows nearly a fifth promote or engage in antisemitism

Hope Not Hate calls out 'chilling' failure of Labour to understand the Jewish community’s concerns

A survey of thousands of left-wing social media accounts by Hope Not Hate found that nearly a fifth promote or engage in antisemitism.

The anti-fascist group’s “State of Hate 2019” report into racism — to be published on Monday — analysed 27,000 Twitter profiles that follow a selection of UK-based left-wing accounts which “regularly spread antisemitic ideas”.

Or maybe a 'chilling' failure of Hope Not Hate to understand what anti-Semitism actually means, fave part :

The most common type of Jew-hate displayed was “conspiratorial antisemitism”, which involves the use of antisemitic tropes.

Of the antisemitic tropes employed, the most common was the suggestion that the “Zionist or Israel lobby” or even “Mossad” was somehow steering UK domestic politics.

"Jew hate". Fuck off. Israeli lobbies, Zionists, and Mossad do not represent all Jews, and many of their actions actually play a part in creating genuine anti-Semitism in the first place. People that are against those groups but also stupid enough to add in Jewish people in general amongst them being one example. Or those that see what those groups are doing and then become more likely to entertain other ideas that are genuinely anti-Semitic.

The idea that these groups can't have any influence on UK politics is just comical. To then add in that it's an anti-Semitic trope as well is just taking the piss. The support of Ilhan Omar from so many Jewish people and groups recently and the repeated explanations of how this clearly isn't anti-Semitism is something that these idiots should maybe have a read up on. It falls under the exact same category of bullshit. Or maybe all those Jewish people and groups are "self-hating Jews" or something and we need to read up more.

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/survey-of-27-000-left-wing-twitter-accounts-shows-nearly-a-fifth-promote-or-engage-in-antisemitism-1.480094

Tores also called out for Islamophobia by the same group, let's see if that's reported along with the anti-Semitism one if they run with it. Maybe they'll add it as a footnote to the Labour articles so that they can't be accused of ignoring it, even though they didn't really cover it at the same time.

3 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's a typical thing we see from the media, to portray the Labour front bench as wacky.

Answering a question honestly shouldn't be considered wacky.

It's fucking mental just to allow yourself to get involved. You're blaming the press for McDonnell being a bit of a tit. You sound like an Evertonian conspiracist. 

4 hours ago, Hank Moody said:

I quite like Ken Clarke, to be honest. Obviously I disagree with him on a lot, but he doesn't seem all that hateful.

Old school politician. Say what you want about the Tories from the 80s but they at least had some brains and gravitas, compared to Johnson, Cameron and Osborne at least. Saying that though so does a venus fly trap.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

So growing rumours of the new centrist Tory enabling party being setup. 

Corbyn's doing a great job at enabling a Tory destruction of the UK as it is. Best to jump ship before the natives work out what's happened in 40 days time.

15 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

It's fucking mental just to allow yourself to get involved. You're blaming the press for McDonnell being a bit of a tit. You sound like an Evertonian conspiracist. 

A journalist asked him a stupid question; he tried to answer it honestly. The only clips I've seen are of McDonnell getting as far as "Tonypandy; Villain..." Did he add anything to balance that? Who knows? The media coverage has almost all been about slagging him off as a "Poundland Lenin". Maybe he could have refused to answer or he could have said "both", but I'm not convinced that would have made much difference. 

And if you equate the obvious and understandable enmity of most of the media to the Labour leadership with the absurd delusions of GOT's finest, then frankly you're a fucking moron.