You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

That letter from Formby really does destroy the slurs of "widespread" antisemitism in the Labour Party, as well as tackling the myth that the party isn't doing enough to tackle the antisemitism that exists in the party (in levels that are not in excess of society in general). 

It's also interesting to see that a lot of the allegations are against non-party members. It's a question that's been asked before but never really answered: what can Labour/Corbyn/the NEC do about this? I think we all know what the answer is... 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Margaret Hodge is suggesting that the figures are made up. 

Oh dear. 

She's also saying that she's still not convinced that Labour are doing enough to tackle antisemitism in the party. 

She may have a point, to be fair. These non-Labour members should be forced to join the party, so that they can then be suspended. Or, Jeremy Corbyn should go round to their houses and break their keyboards so they can't tweet anymore. 

Enough is enough! 

• Upvote 3

And while I'm on my soapbox, Graham Jones MP can do one too. A vocal backer of the Saudi war on Yemen who has suggested that NGO's are deliberately inflating the number of fatalities from Saudi bombs. There's some right horrors in the Labour Party, who seem not to exhibit any of the values of the party under its current direction. 

4 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

And while I'm on my soapbox, Graham Jones MP can do one too. A vocal backer of the Saudi war on Yemen who has suggested that NGO's are deliberately inflating the number of fatalities from Saudi bombs. There's some right horrors in the Labour Party, who seem not to exhibit any of the values of the party under its current direction. 

Just read his wiki page, and he accused Corbyn of not representing Labour values! I'm sure he should have joined the Tories.

The new angle of attack from those who are never satisfied appears to centre around the 220 cases that did not have sufficient evidence to proceed.

Implied comments suggesting cover ups etc. What's the world coming to when we need actual EVIDENCE to kick people out of a political party and attach a harmful label to them (maybe they should operate like TLW GF where you're labelled an antisemite willy nilly, without proof?). 

I wonder if these are cases of alleged antisemitism that come under the "could be" antisemitism examples provided under the IHRA definition, with the complaints procedure folks then adopting the IHRA definition to the letter, looking at context, Twitter posting history, are there any previous examples of antisemitic intent/tendencies etc. The complaint handler may have then decided that what "could be" antisemitic actually isn't, but is instead just clumsy and inappropriate comment. 

If so, those who pushed for the IHRA definition have to come to terms with the fact that they can't have their cake and eat it. It's been adopted. Like they wanted. That also includes the "could be" examples of antisemitism, the wording alone of which allow for an accused to be given the benefit of the doubt. 

Also, some people are taking umbrage with the lack of expulsion. Implying that the use of suspensions instead, or a reminder of conduct, shows that Labour are soft on antisemitism. Conclusions reached hastily, without any real knowledge of the cases that attracted these forms of censure. Some people just want the sledgehammer approach. Who says that these cases weren't instances where somebody has said just one thing that has fell under some of the more contentious examples of the IHRA definition and has never said anything else that can be construed as being antisemitic? If people are serious about tackling antisemitism, rather than weaponising it, surely they'd welcome education and raising awareness of what is right and wrong in such cases? 

The reaction of some to Formby's release of figures today suggests that nothing will ever be good enough for these people. Apart from Corbyn resigning, of course. 

4 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

She's a fucking loon.

And a twat.

I was always a bit surprised she managed to slink away from the Islington paedo scandal with any semblance of a political career left.

Blair shielding her always reminded me of the line in The Usual Suspects - "protected from up on high by the prince of darkness."

18 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

The Labour party are an absolute fucking mess, where the hell is the genuine challenge to Tory rule, so disheartening 

The lack of challenge isn't the issue for me, it's the fact social engineering has turned us into a nation of Tory cunts. If you gave them an alternative they wouldn't vote for it anyway.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

The Labour party are an absolute fucking mess, where the hell is the genuine challenge to Tory rule, so disheartening 

Hasn't this Government suffered a record number of defeats in the Commons or something?  They're certainly not getting any sort of easy ride.