You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

30 minutes ago, rico1304 said:

Weird how it didn’t get more press.  Especially as the Labour MP who’s son was convicted was so roundly criticised for continuing to promote him after his arrest and charging.  Green isn’t the new black. 

Guilty for the sins of her father? I’m sure the Lib Dem’s will be thrilled. 

45 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

What do you think parliament could agree on to be on the ballot?

No Deal or No Brexit. They’ve tried negotiating, it’s not passing through the Commons, so what else is there? 

Do you want No deal on the ballot?

Yes. Otherwise there’s no point in a referendum. You can’t have ‘go back and talk to them’ because there’s nothing they’ll do. There must be an option for No Deal, as that’s one of the two possibilities available. You could have a ‘revoke article 50’ with a yes or no, but it’s the same thing really. 

Do you want the next referendum you are calling for to be legally binding?

Want? No, I want May to turn around and say ‘fuck off’ and revoke article 50, but that’s democratic voting for you. I think it has to be binding. Not that it matters, if there’s another vote and we vote to leave, we just carry on. 

Should there be a threshold higher than last time for the winner?

No. It should be the same as last time.

Should there be a general election prior to another referendum? 

Not necessarily. It’s a different issue. 

Do you want to revoke article 50 prior to another referendum or an extension?

It has to be an extension, surely. Until there’s a referendum to overturn the first, it should stay in place. 

Thanks.

I see that outcome even more unlikely going through parliament than Mays deal. The more I think about it just creates new challenges. I think Soubry said the other day that no deal being on the ballot would be illegal due to the GFA. But that doesn't make sense if the default is no deal come March the 29th. 

If what we have seen over the past two years is repeated another referendum could be the ultimate delaying tactic. If I was a Tory in a marginal seat I would extend article 50 and then keep delaying. There would be all sorts of challenges from both sides ie should eu citizens vote, how much time is needed for a managed no deal, should it be legally binding, how campaign funds should be allocated. How long should the extension be etc.

20 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Thanks.

I see that outcome even more unlikely going through parliament than Mays deal. The more I think about it just creates new challenges. I think Soubry said the other day that no deal being on the ballot would be illegal due to the GFA. But that doesn't make sense if the default is no deal come March the 29th. 

If what we have seen over the past two years is repeated another referendum could be the ultimate delaying tactic. If I was a Tory in a marginal seat I would extend article 50 and then keep delaying. There would be all sorts of challenges from both sides ie should eu citizens vote, how much time is needed for a managed no deal, should it be legally binding, how campaign funds should be allocated. How long should the extension be etc.

The way things are going, we will be out of Europe in a few months. So something needs to be done if Maybe can’t get a deal through, which it’s not looking likely. So either she allows us to lose a big chunk of GDP, or she has another referendum. What other outcomes can their realistically be? DUP could about turn after the vote and a Labour vote of no confidence in the government could be called, but that’s really just delaying.

I wasn't convinced he could win an election, but the way he reduced the gap between the two parties in such a short time during last year's election indicates, to me at least, that if the starting point between the two parties is narrower at the commencement of the campaign, that he could win. Labour are much better organised from an activist perspective than they have been before, and their manifesto is much better than the Tory's was. Corbyn is simply a figurehead for a movement, but I suspect McDonnell is the real brains behind it all. 

It's like all this nonsense about Brexit, and  the tedious screaming you hear from people about Corbyn's Brexit position; he's following the position that was established at conference. Labour are saying they want to renegotiate Brexit - it's obvious that would fail as the EU won't agree to it - but they can at least appease some Brexiteers by saying they tried their hardest to make it happen, and when that fails, they would seek a second referendum. 

My interpretation is that Corbyn and Starmer are playing out a choreographed good cop bad cop routine with regards to Labour's Brexit position. And, let me be clear, I want to remain in the EU, although I am not ignorant of its failings. I'm broadly supportive of Varoufakis and Diem25 in relation to reforming the EU.

• Upvote 1

The bigger picture for me is and has always been that the longer he stays as leader of the party the more chance we have of politics in this country finally becoming democratic.  I personally agree with nearly everything he says but that’s not the point.  He’s gave the left and indirectly democrats something to gather around.  Politics in this country has never not been elitist.  The odd working class man making it into Parliament hasn’t changed that.  It’s run by suits in the background and always will be until the people in charge stop picking the candidates for each constituency.

Tories, including people who don’t think they’re tories but definitely are, don’t care about that because at the moment everything is stacked in their favour.  They’re happy for the economic argument to have already been settled. Low taxes on higher earners and minimum spending.  They want the argument to be about the level of liberalism.  The argument should be about everything which is what being a democracy should be about.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 12/21/2018 at 2:31 AM, Numero Veinticinco said:

I’ve always hated that idiom, and that’s one of the reasons why; more people voted for Hillary than Trump. 

and there was no revolt, hence they have the politics they deserve, same as there was no push for Gore in 2000, they are soporific, and unwilling to fight for their rights as a majority, same in the UK, arguably the same here in Aus.

but fuck it we have iPhones and Twitter, can message from our digital cells at Facebook, there is not enough of a groundswell on the left, so the right continues to rape and pillage the planet along with 95% of it's population.

• Upvote 1

On 12/27/2018 at 1:51 PM, sir roger said:

A hero. Not the hero we deserved but the hero we needed.

That’s me, that. It’s looking likely that I’ll be put forward as a paper candidate sure to be walloped by a Tory in the local elections in the new year because my branch has so few people in it. 

Just tightened up my Facebook profile security. Now I just need to remove 95% of my posting history from this forum and ask Stronts nicely to keep his attack dog ‘friends’ away from me. I’ll take the crown of ‘forumite with the least number of votes in an election’ away from him. Hopefully that’s enough. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Is it worth asking what you're claiming that nasty anti-Semitic Commie did now?

Probably not. 

Did you not read the post before mine, where it was claimed that Corbyn doesn't really mean it when he says he wants to renegotiate Brexit.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, rico1304 said:

Apparently he was that upset at being called an anti-Semite he couldn’t think straight. There’s no way Thornberry wasn’t briefed to say that.  Bit of a pathetic excuse.   

In fairness, if you'd spent your whole life fighting racism and then, in some weird coordinated attack, half the world starts calling you racist without so much as a half-arsed attempt at providing evidence, it would make your head spin.

What were Thornberry's comments an excuse for? What has he done wrong that needs this excuse?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, rico1304 said:

Yes, THROUGH HIS SS GAS MASK!

No word on the disgrace of EU citizens having to pay to stay in the UK though?  Or have I missed it? 

Oh so a decision  that YOUR party is bringing in is now Corbyn's fault .....Gee you sure love washing your hands from the fact you helped elect this gang of evil turds.

i take it you're that "disgusted" too that you won't vote for them again...

Oh and the SS didn't wear gas masks 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Oh so a decision  that YOUR party is bringing in is now Corbyn's fault .....Gee you sure love washing your hands from the fact you helped elect this gang of evil turds.

i take it you're that "disgusted" too that you won't vote for them again...

Oh and the SS didn't wear gas masks 

Where did you get this one from? He’s fucking mental. 

• Downvote 1