You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

4 minutes ago, Champ said:

Has he never been to Liverpool in all this time?

Honestly no idea, he has spoken at length and in great support but no idea if he has been up. Probably. It's what he should have done, having visited Anfield for the match and having the Conference in Liverpool. 

6 minutes ago, Champ said:

Fair enough, I wasn’t aware of that.

I just hate to think of anyone using other people’s suffering for their own purposes

There's a fine line for politicians between fulfilling the expectations of paying respects and looking like you're using a disaster to drum up support. I think it's always fair to give a bit of leeway (and it applies to everyone, eg May over Grenfell).

I don't see any issue with what corbyn did yesterday. We should be glad of his continued support, because we're going to need it when these slippery twats try to wriggle out of their charges. 

However, I'm getting really dissolusioned with the whole Europe thing. I feel like labour is just giving up and providing absolutely no opposition to those other twats. By the time they move, it's going to be too late. This "let's wait for an election, where we'll still take you out of Europe but start negotiating all over again" is just fucking pure nonsense. We're out in 6 months. Step the fuck up. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I don't see any issue with what corbyn did yesterday. We should be glad of his continued support, because we're going to need it when these slippery twats try to wriggle out of their charges. 

However, I'm getting really dissolusioned with the whole Europe thing. I feel like labour is just giving up and providing absolutely no opposition to those other twats. By the time they move, it's going to be too late. This "let's wait for an election, where we'll still take you out of Europe but start negotiating all over again" is just fucking pure nonsense. We're out in 6 months. Step the fuck up. 

Which is where my sensitivity comes from. As a Labour supporter all I’m seeing portrayed is internal disputes and a long running manifesto. And yes I know the media are more than happy to report all that but what about stepping up and making a different story by being a proper opposition through all this shit and persuade the wider country there’s a party worth fighting for here

15 minutes ago, Champ said:

Which is where my sensitivity comes from. As a Labour supporter all I’m seeing portrayed is internal disputes and a long running manifesto. And yes I know the media are more than happy to report all that but what about stepping up and making a different story by being a proper opposition through all this shit and persuade the wider country there’s a party worth fighting for here

I don't think the labour leadership want to be seen as the party who deny "the people". But we're 2 years along. We've got no deal worth talking about. Maybe we have got to leave and there's no way out, but for fucks sake, when do we start fighting for something, instead of just letting may slip around holding her party together by the skin of their teeth?

I’m hoping the Labour Party conference will lead them to make the case for a second referendum. Not a ‘shit deal or no deal’ referendum that I wouldn’t even vote in, but a check to see if the British people still back the idea of leaving Europe and the implications of it. The noise from the BBC article certainly suggests it’s something that’s likely to be on the agenda soon. Although, I expect the Tories to ram it through regardless. 

1 hour ago, cloggypop said:

He's willing to back a second referendum if the party votes for it. Seems fairly democratic. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-back-second-referendum-13292683

Said last week to Section I was hoping for this from conference. 

My guess was was they wanted to do this but politically it works better for the leadership following a majority vote at conference. 

1 hour ago, Champ said:

Thing is, the Tories, and May in particular, are desperate for labour to come out in support of a second referendum because it gives them a point to hammer home. Labour are betrayers of democracy, they don’t respect the will of the people. Etc. Etc. It’s the only lifeline they could possibly give may and it will solidify the party behind her. Whereas at the moment there’s a complete power and leadership vacuum which is causing them to tear strips off each other and slowly break apart. The time to come out for a second referendum would be in a general election cycle, for me, because honestly what use is it right now? This is an extremely delicate situation for labour. They need to be given some leeway

2 hours ago, moof said:

Thing is, the Tories, and May in particular, are desperate for labour to come out in support of a second referendum because it gives them a point to hammer home. Labour are betrayers of democracy, they don’t respect the will of the people. Etc. Etc. It’s the only lifeline they could possibly give may and it will solidify the party behind her. Whereas at the moment there’s a complete power and leadership vacuum which is causing them to tear strips off each other and slowly break apart. The time to come out for a second referendum would be in a general election cycle, for me, because honestly what use is it right now? This is an extremely delicate situation for labour. They need to be given some leeway

There's been 2 years of leeway. The clock is running out and we're sleep walking into whatever piece of shit may can get over the line. 

6 hours ago, moof said:

I don't see why it's so difficult for politicians to promote policies that are in the best interests of the vast majority of the population. I know that's simplistic but in the case of Brexit and the way the Tories are behaving it's a case of just doing right by the country and putting an end to the whole fucking nonsense.