You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

45 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I understand the call, but unless they never want to be in power again, they should look at the bigger picture.

Ed Milliband posed for promo pictures holding it.

How did that work out?

Results from the last election suggest that the grip that those bastards had over the electorate is loosening. I reckon Labour have got more to gain by telling them to fuck off. 

11 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I wonder what that percentage was when Labour were winning, and they were supporting Labour. 

It peaked at 52% support in 1997 and 2001. Wasn't until 2010 before Sun readers were more likely to vote Tory than Labour. (Source: Ipsos Mori)

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Ed Milliband posed for promo pictures holding it.

How did that work out?

Results from the last election suggest that the grip that those bastards had over the electorate is loosening. I reckon Labour have got more to gain by telling them to fuck off. 

I disagree. 

59 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

30% of Sun readers vote Labour so banning them from conferences entirely would risk alienating about half a million Labour voters.

They banned the rag being sold/given away last time conference was in Liverpool...

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/culture/news/79348/labour-bans-copies-sun-its-party-conference

... yet still gained 30 seats and had their highest share of the vote since 2001 in last years election. 

Fuck the rag. It’d be completely understandable if they were banned, due to where the conference is taking place. 

• Upvote 1

Tony Blair emerges as shock contender to become next chairman of the Premier League

Newcastle United fan Blair, 65, is seen as having the right profile and charisma to lead the mega-rich 20-club league

Booooooo lock him up.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tony-blair-emerges-shock-contender-13270908.amp?__twitter_impression=true

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog said:

It's no skin off my nose if Labour were to do that, but I feel it would be self-defeating.

Not having a dig but seeing as you had the Labour numbers, have you got the percentage of S*n readers that are Lib Dem voters? How does that tally with your share of the vote in the last GE?

I’d be interested in seeing that data for all the major newspapers actually. 

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

Right, but banning the paper from being given away at conference is not the same as banning journalists.

What would Labour have to gain by giving accreditation to racist liars who hate the party and everything it stands for?

I'd be more than happy to see Labour tell them to fuck off. I  doubt I'm alone in this.

• Upvote 2

There is probably a debate to be had how team Corbyn use the media but not a Murdoch outlet. Only this week he is slandering Micheal Foot who successfully sued. However the biggest influence on voting is definitely family and peers from my experience. One of the underestimated part of the "cult membership" of over half a million people who have invested time and effort is they will drag friends work colleagues and family to vote. There is no more trusted recommendation than people you know. 

Never forget English journalists have the lowest credibility out of all the journalists in Europe. I  might be naive but I'd like to think that a sizeable amount of people see certain newspapers as propaganda served up by oligarchs.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

What would Labour have to gain by giving accreditation to racist liars who hate the party and everything it stands for?

I'd be more than happy to see Labour tell them to fuck off. I  doubt I'm alone in this.

You almost certainly to alone, but surely you can see a political reason to completely alienate Murdoch media? These 1.5m people 364 days a year. Then there's Sky, and other ramifications. I hate the Sun as much as anybody, that's not the point; looking outside of your own view, and our own hatred, you surely can't believe that telling them to fuck off will be a positive thing in terms of results for elections? I mean, surely.

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Not having a dig but seeing as you had the Labour numbers, have you got the percentage of S*n readers that are Lib Dem voters? How does that tally with your share of the vote in the last GE?

I’d be interested in seeing that data for all the major newspapers actually. 

3% of Sun readers who voted, voted Lib Dem last time out. 

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/how-daily-newspaper-readers-voted-by-title-in-the-2017-general-election/

Figures for 92-10 are here:

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/voting-newspaper-readership-1992-2010

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Interesting that. Pretty clear that the Lib Dems get a lot less coverage in the tabloids than the two biggest parties.

I wonder, is the higher proportion of broadsheet readers voting Lib Dem due to the papers featuring more political news or is it just because their voters are all really, really clever?

2 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Interesting that. Pretty clear that the Lib Dems get a lot less coverage in the tabloids than the two biggest parties.

I wonder, is the higher proportion of broadsheet readers voting Lib Dem due to the papers featuring more political news or is it just because their voters are all really, really clever?

I wouldn't go as far as really, really clever, but there is a correlation between educational level and voting for both Lib Dem and Labour. To some extent, I would expect this to be related to opposition to Brexit, which also has a similar correlation.

Education-01.png

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

You almost certainly to alone, but surely you can see a political reason to completely alienate Murdoch media? These 1.5m people 364 days a year. Then there's Sky, and other ramifications. I hate the Sun as much as anybody, that's not the point; looking outside of your own view, and our own hatred, you surely can't believe that telling them to fuck off will be a positive thing in terms of results for elections? I mean, surely.

What is there to lose?  The only way to get Murdoch onside is to do what Tony Blair did - agree to jettison half the stuff the Labour Party stands for.  That won't happen and shouldn't happen.

If Labour tell the S*n they're unwelcome, what are they going to do, that they're not already doing anyway?

Ever since 1992 (and "It Was The S*n What Won It"), politicians have been convinced that the only way to avoid oblivion is to suck Rupert Palpatine's cock.  The 2017 General Election showed that that's simply not true any more.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I agree with this in part NV but the Labour party and Corbyn have done quite well recently in motivating the base of their support by pointing out adversarial relationships they have with elements of the press (in particular the Daily Mail). Actually on the whole I often think politicians don't do this enough i.e. identify their enemies and what they are fighting against, I think it might be easier for sections of the public to get on board with rather than endless triangulation/fear of alienating sections of the populous.

• Upvote 1

Far too busy filming a new Panorama episode - Theresa May At Home. See the softer, more cuddly side of Britain's top negotiator, as Theresa takes us through her favourite recipes, shares with us her penchant for leather trousers, and introduces us to her teddy bear collection.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1