You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

I always think you shouldn't attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity, and it's certainly pretty stupid to blame an anonymous group of people for the financial crisis whose only identifying characteristic is that they refer to Jeremy as a threat, when the only group of people who has used that term to refer to Jeremy recently is... well, you know who. 

The thing is, while I choose to believe that Jeremy Corbyn is stupid - like, 2 Es at A-level stupid -  I'm not going to pillory people who think he knows exactly what he's doing. After all, they're the ones on the sharp end.

Do you think it’s option 1, 2 or 3.. I couldnt quite make it out sorry.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog said:

I thought I had made it clear I thought it was stupid rather than malicious.

Corbyn has been saying the bankers who caused the financial crash see him as a threat for the last 3 years. Any attempt to smear anti-semitism onto that is completely agenda driven and pure fucking drivel. The weaponisation has now been laid bare. Will Pollard be called out for using an anti-Semitic trope as forcefully as Corbyn would be? I won’t hold my breath.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

I always think you shouldn't attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity, and it's certainly pretty stupid to blame an anonymous group of people for the financial crisis whose only identifying characteristic is that they refer to Jeremy as a threat, when the only group of people who has used that term to refer to Jeremy recently is... well, you know who. 

The thing is, while I choose to believe that Jeremy Corbyn is stupid - like, 2 Es at A-level stupid -  I'm not going to pillory people who think he knows exactly what he's doing. After all, they're the ones on the sharp end.

Am I reading that correctly? Did you just call Corbyn stupid for saying that bankers caused the financial crash of 2007-08?

And did you describe as "anonymous" the Directors and Executives who are registered as the decision-makers of the firms whose behaviour tanked economies?

And did you just judge a sixty-something year-old's intelligence with reference to his A Levels?

As for the group of people who have recently referred to Corbyn as a threat; yes, we do know who. It's not "the Jews" (because it's demonstrably false - and anti-Semitic - to pretend that British Jews are a homogeneous group with one opinion on any given subject). The group who think Corbyn is a threat consists of his political enemies: the tax-dodgers and the supporters of the Apartheid State.

• Upvote 2

It is the same video he posted approx 10 months ago when Morgan Stanley were saying he was a threat to the country. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/30/jeremy-corbyn-morgan-stanley-labour-brexit

Jeremy Corbyn tells Morgan Stanley: 'You're right, we are a threat'

Labour leader hits back after investment bank warned clients his party could pose as much of a risk to UK business as Brexit

He was moved to record the video, posted on his Twitter feed and Facebook page, after Morgan Stanley released a note telling investors about what it perceived as the risks of Corbyn taking power.

“The UK is in the midst of a double whammy of uncertainty in the shape of Brexit and a fragile domestic political situation. Taken together, these two factors – which are interrelated to some degree – cast a long shadow over the policy backdrop and economic outlook of the UK,” the report from Morgan Stanley’s European equity team said.

“For the UK market, domestic politics may be perceived as a bigger risk than Brexit. From a UK investor perspective, we believe that the domestic political situation is at least as significant as Brexit, given the fragile state of the current government and the perceived risks of an incoming Labour administration that could potentially embark on a radical change in policy direction.

So he responded specifically to financial institutions because they had a go at him. 

Funnily it wasn't deemed antisemitic at the time.

As Jenson says, hopefully this will show the anti Corbyn agenda for the bollocks it is.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

It was the wording I said was stupid.

(I mean, it's also simplistic to put the whole mess on bankers in the first place, but I know how you populists like your scapegoats.)

You're still not being clear. Which wording is stupid? Did someone attribute the financial crash to malice (implying it was done deliberately) rather than stupidity (which includes recklessness, greed and an overestimation of one's ability to control things)?

As for us "populists" wanting to scapegoat the people who made the decisions in the financial sector for the catastrophic failure of the financial sector, it certainly seems less stupid than pretending that it was caused by too much public spending and that austerity - scapegoating the poorest and most vulnerable - would somehow make things better. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

Using the specific word "threat" was stupid/careless/whatever. Pretty obvious if you read my original post.

Nobody pretends that the financial crisis was caused by too much spending. After all, we still spend more now than we did before the financial crisis.

Clearly not as obvious as you think. 

The whole economic policy of the  Coalition Government was based on pretending that "we have overspent".

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/jun/22/emergency-budget-full-speech-text

1 minute ago, Anubis said:

More likely to have banned The Sun from The World Transformed event, which is  a Momentum event that is supplementary to the conference but not part of it.  Momentum don't have any authority to ban anyone from the conference.

It’s exactly that. 

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/98341/momentum-bans-sun-world-transformed-festival-over

Just now, Anubis said:

More likely to have banned The Sun from The World Transformed event, which is  a Momentum event that is supplementary to the conference but not part of it.  Momentum don't have any authority to ban anyone from the conference.

Yeah, that’s what I was getting at. I was really questioning if that’s what he claimed. It wouldn’t surprise me. I checked now, he’s a twat making a ridiculous conflation. 

13 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Although the Labour Party themselves really should ban the rag.