You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

There were plenty of people interviewed during the election who said they preferred Labour's manifesto, but 'weren't sure about Corbyn'. That's what two years of smear campaign from the MSM does.

Fuck me how can you blame the public when his own party didn't seem to want him either?

He's an MP who'd spent his career being antiestablishment and then in his late 60's decides he wants to lead the establishment.

Fuck me how can you blame the public when his own party didn't seem to want him either?

He's an MP who'd spent his career being antiestablishment and then in his late 60's decides he wants to lead the establishment.

I expect a lot of them thought they'd be unelectable and that would risk them losing their own seats.

Can someone let TK know Labour lost the election. Ta.

But neither did the tories win under the rules of the British electoral system. This means the largest party's rule is tenuous and getting any policies through is going to be almost impossible. Its the equivalent of being 1-0 down at half time or 1-0 from the away leg with a home game to come. Momentum has shifted and short of raising the voting age to 40,change is inevitable and tories never change.

Not

I pay a total of 35% tax (income tax, national insurance etc) but there are no allowances here. I would be happy to pay 40% and have a decent public hospital to give the phototherapy that my daughter needed shortly after birth instead of the shithole with badly trained staff and doctors who don't work at weekends. In fact, I probably wouldn't have needed to go private for the prenatal care and birth, so this year it would have ended up as a saving for me.

Rico - you probably can't save enough money to ensure that your daughter has great private medical care for her entire life, however you could pay a bit more tax and get a great NHS

But you don't be paying 45% over here right?

Not

But you don't be paying 45% over here right?

We get it,you are selfish and refuse to recognise that your whole life is based on the efforts of others yet you don't care about them or the future problems your children will run into if things dont change soon. Luckily,your views are becoming more of a minority one.

• Upvote 1

I've also been critical of the PLP, but it's not the PLP who voted last week is it?

You can't deny that two years of headlines like below have had some bearing over public opinion? I'd rather not post front pages from the other rag on here either.

Daily-Mail-terror-front-page-760x1016.jp

We get it,you are selfish and refuse to recognise that your whole life is based on the efforts of others yet you don't care about them or the future problems your children will run into if things dont change soon. Luckily,your views are becoming more of a minority one.

Hold on, weren't you the one who was saying that all old people were cunts and the sooner they died the better? I am selfish, but I'm happy to pay my way. I pay an awful lot of tax already, just don't want to pay any more.

Hold on, weren't you the one who was saying that all old people were cunts and the sooner they died the better? I am selfish, but I'm happy to pay my way. I pay an awful lot of tax already, just don't want to pay any more.

When did I say I 'wanted' old people to die? Wrong poster. We all pay too much tax because its hidden and biggest burden falls on the poorest. If you are not happy paying the top rate of tax you can always swap places with millions who would be,or move abroad with your obvious wealth.

When did I say I 'wanted' old people to die? Wrong poster. We all pay too much tax because its hidden and biggest burden falls on the poorest. If you are not happy paying the top rate of tax you can always swap places with millions who would be,or move abroad with your obvious wealth.

The second sentence says I'm happy to pay my tax.

Come again? Interested to hear what you mean by this.

Come again? Interested to hear what you mean by this.

I would imagine that he means that without civilisation, he would be unable to have achieved any of the things he did in life. I would further imagine that he is saying that he should pay for that privilege having benefited from it. I am certain he would have done so under any party, so that's where my imagination ends. I would suggest that it is likely he means that by voting for Tories he is supporting the implementation of cuts to important services that he does not rely on but others do. Those others may well have contributed to the society that made it possible for him to become who he is. 

I would imagine. 

I would imagine that he means that without civilisation, he would be unable to have achieved any of the things he did in life. I would further imagine that he is saying that he should pay for that privilege having benefited from it. I am certain he would have done so under any party, so that's where my imagination ends. I would suggest that it is likely he means that by voting for Tories he is supporting the implementation of cuts to important services that he does not rely on but others do. Those others may well have contributed to the society that made it possible for him to become who he is. 

I would imagine.

This just raises more questions than it answers, to be honest. Is the argument that more tax (and, consequently, less control of personal spending) is equal to more civilisation? Because I can show you some extremely uncivilised places where people get to keep less of their own money than we do.

As Rico has pointed out, he's not opposed to paying tax, he just feels that he pays enough. Chances are that he's paid a lot more tax in his life than some sad little virgin living in his mum's cellar ever will, yet the latter would no doubt decry the former as selfish, which I find supremely ironic.

• Upvote 1

This just raises more questions than it answers, to be honest. Is the argument that more tax (and, consequently, less control of personal spending) is equal to more civilisation? Because I can show you some extremely uncivilised places where people get to keep less of their own money than we do.

As Rico has pointed out, he's not opposed to paying tax, he just feels that he pays enough. Chances are that he's paid a lot more tax in his life than some sad little virgin living in his mum's cellar ever will, yet the latter would no doubt decry the former as selfish, which I find supremely ironic.

The problem you have with Rico and tax is that at what point does he, or others get to that cut off point? What I mean by that is that he thinks he pays enough (which is fair enough), and would like to pay less. So let's say he gets a promotion in work, along with a decent pay rise, does he then start looking at legal but morally wrong ways of avoiding tax, or would he just continue to be pissed off about it?

Unfortunately it seems a lot of people would go down the avoidance route, and it's one of a complex set of issues we have in society, where people cheating the welfare state are classed as scum, but tax avoidance is seen as something that anyone moneyed would do.

• Upvote 1

The problem you have with Rico and tax is that at what point does he, or others get to that cut off point? What I mean by that is that he thinks he pays enough (which is fair enough), and would like to pay less. So let's say he gets a promotion in work, along with a decent pay rise, does he then start looking at legal but morally wrong ways of avoiding tax, or would he just continue to be pissed off about it?

Unfortunately it seems a lot of people would go down the avoidance route, and it's one of a complex set of issues we have in society, where people cheating the welfare state are classed as scum, but tax avoidance is seen as something that anyone moneyed would do.

No, I wouldn't do that. Not that I'd have the opportunity though.

There is a simple reason for the discrepancy here. People cheating the welfare state are taking other people's money, whereas someone trying to diminish their tax burden is trying to keep more of their own money.

In pithier terms, welfare cheats are stealing money, and tax avoiders are trying to stop their money being stolen.

• Downvote 1

There is a simple reason for the discrepancy here. People cheating the welfare state are taking other people's money, whereas someone trying to diminish their tax burden is trying to keep more of their own money.

In pithier terms, welfare cheats are stealing money, and tax avoiders are trying to stop their money being stolen.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Upvote 5

What you really need to understand is that when Thatcher said "There's no such thing as society" she lied.

Society exists.  You and your family live in it.  Whatever's best for the wider society is best for your family.  Right now, that means some long-overdue public investments in public services and in the economy.  Everyone who is fortunate enough to be able to contribute to that has a moral duty to do so; it will work out best for them and their families in the long run.

thing is, and we all know examples of this in the societies we operate in, is that some people who you mix with through sport, work or whatever else, derive pleasure from rubbing other peoples' noses in it that they have more. it gives them a bonk on and that snideness is sometimes their main motivator. they definitely want and enjoy that clear monetary division in peer and extended family groups etc 

they also only like to question how things are going if they have an inkling somebody is doing shit. when they catch wind that this isn't the case, the questions stop funnily enough. the thought of not being 'ahead' in their circle makes them really miserable

if they have anything it's like putting a suit on pig anyway. makes me laugh

It really is a wonder why your posts in the political threads aren't more popular.

Remarkable insight.

It really is a wonder why your posts in the political threads aren't more popular.

Oh, it's because many of you are simply too dense to understand them, let alone argue against them.

Feel free to explain the shortcomings in what I posted.

• Downvote 1