You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

The faux outrage of this is ridiculous beyond belief. What Livingstone said was right. He was talking about the Haavara agreement, an agreement between pro Zionist Jews in Germany and the Nazi party to ship them off to Palestine because it was mutually exclusive for both parties; Hitler wanted them gone and the pro Zionist Jews wanted to live in their spiritual homeland. 

He literally said "When Hitler won his election in 1932 his policy then was you should be moved to Palestine, he was supporting Zionism". Factually true. You'd think that some of these people that jump on the bandwagon to slate Livingstone would pick up a history book and educate themselves before throwing such spurious accusations around, but no, apparently not.

• Upvote 4

While it may have been momentarily expedient for Hitler to permit a handful of Jews to flee persecution in Nazi Germany and to only cede a portion of their possessions to the German state, it is quite a leap of logic to assert that this means "Hitler supported Zionism".

Further, the idea that August 1933's Haavara Agreement means that "Hitler supported Zionism before he went mad and killed 6 million Jews" rather implies that he wasn't mad when he wrote Mein Kampf in 1925, not mad when he implemented a boycott of Jewish-owned businesses and excluded Jews from the civil service in April 1933, and not mad when he ordered the burning of all books by Jewish authors in May 1933.

I am sure Ken Livingstone believes that he isn't an anti-semite. I would suggest that's probably where the problem lies.

"It was a major factor in making possible the migration of approximately 60,000 German Jews to Palestine in 1933–1939"

More than 'a handful' I'd say and certainly not 'momentarily'.

"Initially, Hitler criticized the agreement, but reversed his opinion and supported it in the period 1937-1939"

"Only one man could resolve the controversy. Hitler personally reviewed the policy in July and September 1937, and again in January 1938, and each time decided to maintain the Haavara arrangement. The goal of removing Jews from Germany, he concluded, justified the drawbacks. /37"

http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v13/v13n4p29_weber.html

• Downvote 1

While it may have been momentarily expedient for Hitler to permit a handful of Jews to flee persecution in Nazi Germany and to only cede a portion of their possessions to the German state, it is quite a leap of logic to assert that this means "Hitler supported Zionism".

Further, the idea that August 1933's Haavara Agreement means that "Hitler supported Zionism before he went mad and killed 6 million Jews" rather implies that he wasn't mad when he wrote Mein Kampf in 1925, not mad when he implemented a boycott of Jewish-owned businesses and excluded Jews from the civil service in April 1933, and not mad when he ordered the burning of all books by Jewish authors in May 1933.

I am sure Ken Livingstone believes that he isn't an anti-semite. I would suggest that's probably where the problem lies.

In the context of the agreement he was supporting Zionism. That’s all that was mean by it and it’s factually true. Livingstone was not talking about Mein Kampf or the boycott of Jewish businesses and it’s dishonest to pretend he was.

Corbyn announces some decent seemingly popular policies such as raising the minimum wage to a tenner, so raising wages for 6 million people.

Largely ignored by many of his MPs and media who instead try and use antisemitism to attack him.

If I was looking for someone to give a presentation to a massive potential customer which could either make my company into a world leader or bankrupt me, would I choose the old, set in his ways, decent bloke or the young up and coming, sharp, media aware fella.

Presentation is everything. Corbyn will never have it. Much as I like him.

He would be a good home sec to a leader. problem is the leader does not exist.

The Dianne Abbot appointment finished him for me.   

In the context of the agreement he was supporting Zionism. That’s all that was mean by it and it’s factually true. Livingstone was not talking about Mein Kampf or the boycott of Jewish businesses and it’s dishonest to pretend he was.

I think the dishonesty is to pretend that because Hitler allows a few Jews to leave Germany with their lives, this somehow makes him a supporter of Zionism, imagined "context" or not.

And whether you like it or not, to place Hitler's descent into madness post-1933 is utterly ridiculous.

Ken Livingstone knows what he was doing. He was trolling the people who were offended by Naz Shah's suggestion that Israel be moved to the USA (something that, to her credit, she apologised for).

Ken Livingstone has done this sort of thing his entire life. I guess the people who matter stopped giving him the benefit of the doubt.

"It was a major factor in making possible the migration of approximately 60,000 German Jews to Palestine in 1933–1939"

More than 'a handful' I'd say and certainly not 'momentarily'.

"Initially, Hitler criticized the agreement, but reversed his opinion and supported it in the period 1937-1939"

"Only one man could resolve the controversy. Hitler personally reviewed the policy in July and September 1937, and again in January 1938, and each time decided to maintain the Haavara arrangement. The goal of removing Jews from Germany, he concluded, justified the drawbacks. /37"

http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v13/v13n4p29_weber.html

Dennis tooth linking Holocaust denial websites again. Probably less surprising than Ken Livingstone making an idiot of himself.

If I was looking for someone to give a presentation to a massive potential customer which could either make my company into a world leader or bankrupt me, would I choose the old, set in his ways, decent bloke or the young up and coming, sharp, media aware fella.

Presentation is everything. Corbyn will never have it. Much as I like him.

He would be a good home sec to a leader. problem is the leader does not exist.

The Dianne Abbot appointment finished him for me.

Tory austerity and no nhs over Dianne Abbott is a tough call tbf.

Corbyn has been doing the rounds lately to be fair but it's all pretty low key stuff, free school dinners and whatnot, whereas the things people are really talking about are brexit, the single market, trump and Syria. It all feels a bit parish council.

Corbyn has been doing the rounds lately to be fair but it's all pretty low key stuff, free school dinners and whatnot, whereas the things people are really talking about are brexit, the single market, trump and Syria. It all feels a bit parish council.

He is not and never will be a political leader. Gradually even his supporters seem to be coming round to the idea that this isn't just a malicious notion being pushed by people who are opposed to his politics, but an actual fact. Labour is looking at sub-30% in the polls if they go into the next election with him at the helm.

I thought he was quite strong in not just jumping to back Trump and his illegal bombing of Syria.

He is not and never will be a political leader. Gradually even his supporters seem to be coming round to the idea that this isn't just a malicious notion being pushed by people who are opposed to his politics, but an actual fact. Labour is looking at sub-30% in the polls if they go into the next election with him at the helm.

As a staunch anti labourvist you should be made up but you seem a little down about it.

Probably pissed off to have a real leader who won't drop his values in politics for a sniff of power I'd guess.

Meanwhile Theresa is getting on with sucking up to the saudi's and going for walks in the countryside.

Leaving boris to sort syria and davis to sort brexit. Would you not say thats all a bit parish council?

As a staunch anti labourvist you should be made up but you seem a little down about it.

Probably pissed off to have a real leader who won't drop his values in politics for a sniff of power I'd guess.

Nobody who cares about political discourse in this country, irrespective of their political leanings, will want Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition to be led by someone so bad at holding the government to account.

Something you would appreciate if you weren't such an utter berk.

Nobody who cares about political discourse in this country, irrespective of their political leanings, will want Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition to be led by someone so bad at holding the government to account.Something you would appreciate if you weren't such an utter berk.

Jesus wept

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11812/nick_clegg/sheffield%2C_hallam/divisions?policy=6702

It is the start of the local election campaign but that is still harsh.

Hasn't Corbyn been talking about the majority of reasons why some voted for brexit (bar immigration) consistently and addressing their concerns on how a Labour government would do this.

Surely less foolish than those that keep shouting brexit make it stop and telling all the voters they are\were stupid and racist. I'm not sure Syria is that high up on the list of priorities to those who don't follow world events. But those that do will know his integrity and consistent approach to war is not beholden to who pays most.

He's been to the North East met with business leaders and discussed his pledges. Talked about directing funds to the North East and improving transport links.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/labour-leader-jeremy-corbyn-promises-12823264

Also been to Manchester and put forward his ideas to small businesses. They seemed keen to hear his ideas and shouted down the journalist who wanted him to give quotes on Syria. In fact a quick check of his Twitter feed has him been active various places in the past couple of weeks outside of London.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ed-will/labours-late-payment-poli_b_15932770.html

Then you have McDonnell reportedly meeting with local council's reiterating his ideas for the co-operative sector. Today he is reiterating Labour's pension lock at Ageuk.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/apr/11/preston-cleveland-model-lessons-recovery-rust-belt