You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

I didn't know that scrapping nuclear power was a labour policy.

Alternatives must be looked at to save vast areas and future generations from contamination by its waste. I'd like to see an alternative energy policy but I'd guess that a good few Labour MPs are on their payroll,like the tories,obviously.

Alternatives must be looked at to save vast areas and future generations from contamination by its waste. I'd like to see an alternative energy policy but I'd guess that a good few Labour MPs are on their payroll,like the tories,obviously.

Just watched that first 100 days video on Twitter and it's one they'd implement. Plans to close them inside 100 days.

The more renewables you have the more nuclear becomes important.

I'm far from convinced that having a fair bit of nuclear power in the mix of your supply is a terrible thing. I am quite convinced that transitioning into a clean energy world in time to limit the damage is made far more difficult if you are taking nuclear off the table at the same time as trying to get rid of fossil fuels.

• Upvote 1

Really, because that what your analogy sounded like. They were flustered and panicked because they got asked a question.

OK.

If the post of Shadow Minister of Analogies comes up, I won't apply for it.

In real life, nobody panicked and nobody got flustered and (for all I know) nobody was wearing trainers.    The fact that Corbyn's opponents control the media and are therefore able to spin their own fuck-ups to blame Corbyn, does not, in my view, mean that he is inherently unfit for leadership.

He was boss at being the cause of ISIS, bringing in the open border policy that led to Brexit and killing hundreds of thousands of Iraq's because of false intelligence. 

Pretty decent card in a game of "biggest cunts to have ever walked the earth" top trumps, though.

He was boss at being the cause of ISIS, bringing in the open border policy that led to Brexit and killing hundreds of thousands of Iraq's because of false intelligence.

I do admire the fact after he sucked up to Murdoch to get the favourable press support he then allegedly fucked his wife. Cunts screwing cunts.

I see Owen Jones flounced big-time and is considering a career change. Dude sounds on the edge.

Owen Jones quits social media, blaming 'frothing keyboard warriors'

Social media abuse has become 'completely and utterly depressing', says Jones

Left-wing commentator Owen Jones has said he will quit all social media for the foreseeable future, after intense criticism from "keyboard warriors" from across the political spectrum.

Mr Jones said those on the hard left of the Labour Party had called him a "right-wing sellout careerist who's allied to Tony Blair and possibly in the pay of the Israeli government."

"[They believe] the Guardian have brainwashed me, that I was never really left-wing, and so on and so forth", Mr Jones wrote in a statement on his Facebook page

Mr Jones also said those with more centrist views had blamed him for "the destruction of the Labour Party", presumably a reference to his support for both of Jeremy Corbyn's leadership bids.

The Guardian columnist has, until recently, been a consistent supporter of Mr Corbyn. During the 2015 leadership campaign, Mr Jones spoke at a number of Momentum rallies in support of the leader of the opposition.

However, after Labour lost the Copeland by election in February, becoming the first opposition party to lose a seat to the government since 1982, Mr Jones appeared to join calls for Mr Corbyn to stand down as leader.

Writing in the Guardian the day after the results, Mr Jones said: "If Corbyn decides he is unable to confront the multiple existential crises enveloping Labour, then an agreement should be struck where he can stand down in exchange for the guarantee of an MP from the new generation [of Labour MPs]."

"Both Corbyn and the parliamentary Labour party... should be aware that history is a savage judge".

It has been reported that Mr Jones favours Clive Lewis, the former shadow Business Secretary, to be the new leader

Mr Jones' statement, posted to his Facebook page on Saturday morning, said he feared for the future of a Left which was prone to in-fighting and division.

"If [the Left] is overtaken by a loud minority who are, increasingly, bound by utter hatred towards anyone deemed to deviate from their sanctity of their cause, then there is no future."

"If they succeed, they'll turn the left into an ever diminished rump that, to the rest of the population, comes across as vicious, vindictive, and spiteful, and certainly not a cause they'll want to be part of."

The statement also signalled a move away from journalism.

"I don't even enjoy writing", said Mr Jones, who said he was "considering whether there's something else I can do with my life"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/owen-jones-quits-social-media-keyboard-warriors-labour-party-jeremy-corbyn-momentum-a7624311.html

That's not a flounce at all, I don't blame him, the lad gets some horrific abuse. It's a sign of the times that people like him are peppered with shit for largely well considered views, while Katy Hopkins and farage make fortunes for peddling bile.

There are only a very handful of 'left' wing' voices left in the media now, it's sad when any of them pack things in because they think it's all pointless.

• Upvote 2

I see Owen Jones flounced big-time and is considering a career change. Dude sounds on the edge.

Owen Jones quits social media, blaming 'frothing keyboard warriors'

Social media abuse has become 'completely and utterly depressing', says Jones

Left-wing commentator Owen Jones has said he will quit all social media for the foreseeable future, after intense criticism from "keyboard warriors" from across the political spectrum.

Mr Jones said those on the hard left of the Labour Party had called him a "right-wing sellout careerist who's allied to Tony Blair and possibly in the pay of the Israeli government."

"[They believe] the Guardian have brainwashed me, that I was never really left-wing, and so on and so forth", Mr Jones wrote in a statement on his Facebook page

Mr Jones also said those with more centrist views had blamed him for "the destruction of the Labour Party", presumably a reference to his support for both of Jeremy Corbyn's leadership bids.

The Guardian columnist has, until recently, been a consistent supporter of Mr Corbyn. During the 2015 leadership campaign, Mr Jones spoke at a number of Momentum rallies in support of the leader of the opposition.

However, after Labour lost the Copeland by election in February, becoming the first opposition party to lose a seat to the government since 1982, Mr Jones appeared to join calls for Mr Corbyn to stand down as leader.

Writing in the Guardian the day after the results, Mr Jones said: "If Corbyn decides he is unable to confront the multiple existential crises enveloping Labour, then an agreement should be struck where he can stand down in exchange for the guarantee of an MP from the new generation [of Labour MPs]."

"Both Corbyn and the parliamentary Labour party... should be aware that history is a savage judge".

It has been reported that Mr Jones favours Clive Lewis, the former shadow Business Secretary, to be the new leader

Mr Jones' statement, posted to his Facebook page on Saturday morning, said he feared for the future of a Left which was prone to in-fighting and division.

"If [the Left] is overtaken by a loud minority who are, increasingly, bound by utter hatred towards anyone deemed to deviate from their sanctity of their cause, then there is no future."

"If they succeed, they'll turn the left into an ever diminished rump that, to the rest of the population, comes across as vicious, vindictive, and spiteful, and certainly not a cause they'll want to be part of."

The statement also signalled a move away from journalism.

"I don't even enjoy writing", said Mr Jones, who said he was "considering whether there's something else I can do with my life"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/owen-jones-quits-social-media-keyboard-warriors-labour-party-jeremy-corbyn-momentum-a7624311.html

Hell hath no fury like a leftie scorned and labelled "hard-left".

I'm far from convinced that having a fair bit of nuclear power in the mix of your supply is a terrible thing. I am quite convinced that transitioning into a clean energy world in time to limit the damage is made far more difficult if you are taking nuclear off the table at the same time as trying to get rid of fossil fuels.

And what about its waste products that wont be 'safe' for many hundreds of years,thousands even?

I don't think its anywhere near worth the risk compared to its alternatives. I am particularly thinking about future generations here too.

So am I.

I don't think future generations would thank you for trying and failing to transition the energy supply by dumping nuclear and fossil fuels at the same time as their food supply runs out due to global warming.

So am I.

I don't think future generations would thank you for trying and failing to transition the energy supply by dumping nuclear and fossil fuels at the same time as their food supply runs out due to global warming.

I think I mentioned alternatives in my statements and as we live on an island and our surrounded by wind,water and many days of rain it wouldn't be too difficult to harness them instead of the harmful and often deadly effects of nuclear energy. As for global warming nuclear power emits 10-20 times the Carbon dioxide that wind power does and is energy intensive as well as relying on massive government grants to keep it going. I think that money could be spent on cheaper and less harmful elements. 

• Upvote 1

May his battling her own back benchers to reverse the Lords amendments this week. Sensible amendments that will ease the anxiety of EU nationals resident in the UK and give Parliament a meaningful say in what sort of deal the Tories carve out .  This is the most serious and crucial issue facing our country since the war and the Labour leader is nowhere to be seen . 

May his battling her own back benchers to reverse the Lords amendments this week. Sensible amendments that will ease the anxiety of EU nationals resident in the UK and give Parliament a meaningful say in what sort of deal the Tories carve out .  This is the most serious and crucial issue facing our country since the war and the Labour leader is nowhere to be seen . 

What are you talking about. Labour are putting forward amendments in the debate today. 

When the Tories were vulnerable post-Brexit, the anti-Labour members of the Labour PLP decided to swoop in and save them.

It's nothing to do with a "cult of personality"; your endless repetition of that nonsense won't make it true. For one thing, you need a personality before you can have a cult. Most of the Corbyn supporters I've ever met are people who want an effective Labour Opposition - leading to a Labour Government - delivering Labour policies. Generally, they are people who are sick of three decades or more of media/PR-driven personality politics and want politics that works for people. It's pretty much the opposite of a personality cult.

The issue of media influence is more than just "valid" - it's crucial. In 1992, when Neil Kinnock's Labour Party suffered a defeat that had previously looked unlikely, the rag trumpeted "It's The S*n What Won it!" It's debatable how much truth there was in that claim; the important point is that all Labour and Tory leaders alike believed it and they have fought all elections since then by trying to court Murdoch, even (in the case of Labour) to the detriment of their own natural supporters.

Once Ed Milliband gave Labour members the choice of Leader, it became undeniably obvious that working for the wider population and serving Murdoch are incompatible: Corbyn won precisely because people were attracted to a set of policies and principles that are at odds with the Murdoch-driven, pro-austerity, divisive, cynical and greedy politics we've been stuck with for the last 38 years.

The task of gaining power by working around the Murdoch/Desmond/Rothermere media was always going to be difficult, but just about possible, if all of the Party was working together, on social media, in local meetings, on protest marches, door-to-door, etc. It would only have been possible with unity, but from the day Corbyn was first elected senior figures in the Parliamentary Party decided that they would rather spend more years in supine opposition than make a concerted and democratic bid to do some good for the Labour movement and the wider population of the UK. I think I despise them worse than Tories.

Excellent and concise post Mal.

Here we go again - it's another "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" referendum for Corbyn.

I can't say that his initial response suggests that Labour have learned much about what happened in Scotland.  By and large, it reads like something that would sit well with the Tory anti-independence campaign.  If Labour are to have any hope in Scotland, their message has to be pro-working class and anti-austerity.  This doesn't address any of the day-to-day issues that are hurting people in Scotland (and my guess is that  it's Labour's continuing failure to do that which is keeping the SNP in such an unchallenged position of power).

This is a missed opportunity.

13524511_10154329016123872_1454224891629

The 2014 Scottish Independence referendum was billed as a once in a generation event. The result was decisive and there is no appetite for another referendum.

Labour believes it would be wrong to hold another so soon and Scottish Labour will oppose it in the Scottish parliament.

If, however, the Scottish parliament votes for one, Labour will not block that democratic decision at Westminster.

If there is another referendum, Labour will oppose independence because it is not in the interests of any part of the country to break up the UK.

Here we go again - it's another "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" referendum for Corbyn.

I can't say that his initial response suggests that Labour have learned much about what happened in Scotland.  By and large, it reads like something that would sit well with the Tory anti-independence campaign.  If Labour are to have any hope in Scotland, their message has to be pro-working class and anti-austerity.  This doesn't address any of the day-to-day issues that are hurting people in Scotland (and my guess is that  it's Labour's continuing failure to do that which is keeping the SNP in such an unchallenged position of power).

This is a missed opportunity.

13524511_10154329016123872_1454224891629

The 2014 Scottish Independence referendum was billed as a once in a generation event. The result was decisive and there is no appetite for another referendum.

Labour believes it would be wrong to hold another so soon and Scottish Labour will oppose it in the Scottish parliament.

If, however, the Scottish parliament votes for one, Labour will not block that democratic decision at Westminster.

If there is another referendum, Labour will oppose independence because it is not in the interests of any part of the country to break up the UK.

Brexit is what is top of the list for most Scots and without a clear anti hard Brexit message how can hope to persuade them on Independence?