You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Family Strife

Section_31

Not buying your grandkids anything for Birthdays and Christmas is poor form, even if they have money saved for them they are missing out on the beauty of seeing your kids/grandkids joy of opening the gifts and the excitement. They are the ones missing out mate.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Elite said:

Not buying your grandkids anything for Birthdays and Christmas is poor form, even if they have money saved for them they are missing out on the beauty of seeing your kids/grandkids joy of opening the gifts and the excitement. They are the ones missing out mate.

I think she only opened the account because there was a government incentive at the time for people to open them and be given £250. My mum got a shock when she found out that it only applied to parents opening them. 

So they then opened this mysterious trust fund I know absolutely nothing about. How much they pay in a month, how much is in it, which bank it is at or how it can be accessed when they are 18. Probably because it doesnt exist.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

I think she only opened the account because there was a government incentive at the time for people to open them and be given £250. My mum got a shock when she found out that it only applied to parents opening them. 

So they then opened this mysterious trust fund I know absolutely nothing about. How much they pay in a month, how much is in it, which bank it is at or how it can be accessed when they are 18. Probably because it doesnt exist.

My grandad, who was a prize bellend, set one up for my brother and myself, my dad, who is also a prize bellend, spent it. There was probably no more the £30/40 quid in each, but it still couldn’t be left alone.

Be the change that breaks the cycle, bastard doesn’t have to begat bastard.

• Upvote 3

I’m due to go back up north for a few days next weekend. Just had a phone call telling me my great uncle died last night and suggesting I rearrange my trip around the funeral. I said it’s fine, I can drive back, no problem. After I put the phone down I realised I’ve booked a couple of nights in London from the 19th until the 21st. Pretty much the closest thing to a holiday my kids will be getting this year because of all the Covid shite. I’ve already paid for the hotel and tickets for various things while we’re down there. 

What are the odds of the funeral being on one of those days, thereby making me look like a cunt for not attending? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’m due to go back up north for a few days next weekend. Just had a phone call telling me my great uncle died last night and suggesting I rearrange my trip around the funeral. I said it’s fine, I can drive back, no problem. After I put the phone down I realised I’ve booked a couple of nights in London from the 19th until the 21st. Pretty much the closest thing to a holiday my kids will be getting this year because of all the Covid shite. I’ve already paid for the hotel and tickets for various things while we’re down there. 

What are the odds of the funeral being on one of those days, thereby making me look like a cunt for not attending? 

It would be unfortunate timing but you’re putting your kids first. If you choose to go to London it’s a decision that’s coming from a good place and made for the right reasons, even if others don’t see it that way.

Sorry for your loss. 

• Upvote 2

Went round me mum's the other day and had to sit through about half an hour of her talking about how worried she was about my sister having a kidney infection and tendinitis (she looked fine to me). This is the woman who didn't bother to visit me in hospital when I was in twice at Christmas for an emergency op and two bouts of sepsis.

You kind of almost do a double take at times like that, you're beyond being resentful and more just baffled. She treats my sister the way two middle, ageing IVF parents treat their only baby - whome they're named miracle, she shows the same level of concern to me as you would a wilting hanging basket. She doesn't seem to know though, that's what's spooky about it. You can imagine if I died and she was sat at my funeral playing around with the telly and people thought it was weird, she wouldn't understand why.

Some interesting psychological stuff at play though when I go and put myself through it. I'm always distracted and don't really listen to much of what she's saying, the other week I had the shits before I went. I think on some level I hate them both, like genuinely hate them, the way you naturally would anyone who treats you like shit, but then because I'm not a psycho this sort of guilt kicks in for feeling that way, that bloke from the sopranos is in my ear going: "Phil, that's a guy's mother, a guy's mother."

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

It would be unfortunate timing but you’re putting your kids first. If you choose to go to London it’s a decision that’s coming from a good place and made for the right reasons, even if others don’t see it that way.

Sorry for your loss. 

Aye, the bit in bold is why it’s posted in this thread. Moving away from your family helps to insulate you from the semi-regular dramas but being far away can bring different problems. 

And thank you. A really, really shit poem would help ease my pain. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Sorry for your loss mate. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Aye, the bit in bold is why it’s posted in this thread. Moving away from your family helps to insulate you from the semi-regular dramas but being far away can bring different problems. 

There was a young wanker called Turdseye

Who used to stuff random things down his japseye

He caught it in a zip

But it was only the tip

So he only gave his maa in-law a black eye 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I don’t post such things on here anymore as you know.

There are plenty of extremely shit poems to choose from though if you know where to look, which I’m sure you do. 

I'm amazed at some of these stories on here really feel for people who have shit relatives my Mum and Dad both sadly no longer here would have given any of  us or Grandkids anything in their power .

The only one of my family who I have fuck all to do with is my sister who is one of the tightest people I know off she used to charge my brother when she lived close to him a fiver for his Sunday dinner unbelievably they now live just off the east lancs after relocating from North Wales and paid  the mortgage off but still cry poverty , he worked in Airbus and lived in Liverpool instead of paying the tunnel money he lived in my brother's house for 3 days of the week .

My brother is still in contact with them and he went out for somebody's birthday and my brother in law reminded him a few weeks later that he owed him 20 pence there are loads of other examples as well .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

When my son got diagnosed with Autism a few days before he was 3 I rung my Mum up and told her. The first thing she said to me was "so how do you feel about him now?".

I didnt speak for about 20 seconds as i was trying to process what she was asking me. I then said "I'm going to drive him out to Ormskirk and leave him in the woods somewhere" she actually believed me before I said  "fuck off, he's still my son, why will it make a difference?"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

6 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

When my son got diagnosed with Autism a few days before he was 3 I rung my Mum up and told her. The first thing she said to me was "so how do you feel about him now?".

I didnt speak for about 20 seconds as i was trying to process what she was asking me. I then said "I'm going to drive him out to Ormskirk and leave him in the woods somewhere" she actually believed me before I said  "fuck off, he's still my son, why will it make a difference?"

Fucking Hell

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Tj hooker said:

I'm amazed at some of these stories on here really feel for people who have shit relatives my Mum and Dad both sadly no longer here would have given any of  us or Grandkids anything in their power .

The only one of my family who I have fuck all to do with is my sister who is one of the tightest people I know off she used to charge my brother when she lived close to him a fiver for his Sunday dinner unbelievably they now live just off the east lancs after relocating from North Wales and paid  the mortgage off but still cry poverty , he worked in Airbus and lived in Liverpool instead of paying the tunnel money he lived in my brother's house for 3 days of the week .

My brother is still in contact with them and he went out for somebody's birthday and my brother in law reminded him a few weeks later that he owed him 20 pence there are loads of other examples as well .

Can remember my brother ignoring me for 10 days because I forgot that I owed him £2.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

I didnt speak for about 20 seconds as i was trying to process what she was asking me. I then said "I'm going to drive him out to Ormskirk and leave him in the woods somewhere" she actually believed me before I said  "fuck off, he's still my son, why will it make 

sounds like your better off without her

One of my aunties never moved out of home (she did try being a nanny in Switzerland in the 70’s but got booted out for drug possession). When my grandad was writing his will he said he’d allow her to stay in the house till she sorted herself out and could then use her part of the inheritance to get a deposit together.  Half the inheritance would go to 5 grandkids, it was worth about £10k to each of us. Enough for us to get on the property ladder.  The fat cunt is still there 10 yrs later, none of the grandkids has had a penny or her brothers.  

She never paid a penny rent when my grandparents were alive, she’s got a free house now and to annoy me even more my brother has just split up with his missus and is about £10k short of being able to buy her out. 

28 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

sounds like your better off without her

I am, every time she gets involved in my life she winds me up and annoys me. She always makes the most simple thing a massive ordeal. Any social event is always massively awkward because she likes to be weird and get a reaction from people. 

I can remember I didn't hear off her for 2 weeks and rung her asking if everything was ok. She said it was my turn to contact her as she had phoned me last. Only to find out she had rung the wrong number and hadn't even phoned me but founded off thinking I had been ignoring her.

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

One of my aunties never moved out of home (she did try being a nanny in Switzerland in the 70’s but got booted out for drug possession). When my grandad was writing his will he said he’d allow her to stay in the house till she sorted herself out and could then use her part of the inheritance to get a deposit together.  Half the inheritance would go to 5 grandkids, it was worth about £10k to each of us. Enough for us to get on the property ladder.  The fat cunt is still there 10 yrs later, none of the grandkids has had a penny or her brothers.  

She never paid a penny rent when my grandparents were alive, she’s got a free house now and to annoy me even more my brother has just split up with his missus and is about £10k short of being able to buy her out. 

My Mrs mate has a useless sister who has done fuck all with her life for 35 years. She has stayed at home "caring" for her parents which involved her sitting in the house all day with them watching daytime tv but making out she is Florenve Nightingale. 

Now she has turned everyone against her sister making out she does nothing because she has a job, a husband and a life. 

Now she is saying that she wants 100 per cent of the will once they die and said that my Mrs mate isnt entitled to half a house worth 270k and 50k cash. Shes turned her dad against her and now he wont speak to her.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

My Mrs mate has a useless sister who has done fuck all with her life for 35 years. She has stayed at home "caring" for her parents which involved her sitting in the house all day with them watching daytime tv but making out she is Florenve Nightingale. 

Now she has turned everyone against her sister making out she does nothing because she has a job, a husband and a life. 

Now she is saying that she wants 100 per cent of the will once they die and said that my Mrs mate isnt entitled to half a house worth 270k and 50k cash. Shes turned her dad against her and now he wont speak to her.

It’s mad. Nothing turns people like money. 

21 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

I don't know their circumstances or what the people involved are like so I can't comment on that, but I do have a bit of sympathy for this type of situation.

My best mate is one of three kids all who have partners, all working full time.  But my best mate is the only one who made proper time for their dad in the last 15 years of his life after their ma left him.  One of the three fucked off to Canada in the aftermath of the divorce cos he couldn't handle it, fair enough.  But on his return basically only bothered with the dad with a phonecall once a week at best and a visit or a day out once every couple of months.  The other has lived in Bristol for years so gets a pass on the visiting situation but again only bothered calling him once every few weeks.  Meanwhile my mate helped him find new local accomodation after the divorce, went round for quick visits at least three times a week to do things like take his bins out, take him a newspaper, do a bit of washing, change the bedding etc.  Plus once a week for tea to spend some quality time, in addition to sorting his bills out, his medical issues, dealt with his landlord, that kind of stuff - basically sacrificed his own time to make his dad's life easier. And of course as he was the only one of the three visiting regularly was always the one most likely to encounter him in difficulty with his health, until one day he has to let himself into the house to an almost inevitable sight.

The will gets split equally three ways.

My mate never had a particular issue with it as it's what the dad always wanted, but from the outside it did seem a bit unfair.

• 2 weeks later...

Brother in law who always moans that he is skint and has no spare time constantly comes up with stupid ideas that make him skint and have no spare time and never listens to anyone because he thinks everyone bar him is thick.

He's just moved into a rented property, in this case a council house that has been completely gutted and refitted. He is spending his time making it habitable which we thought was a bit of painting and buying new furniture.

Anyway, he just suddenly decides the other day that he wants to rewire the living room to put two extra plugs in. Apparently he is a qualified electrician but hasn't done any of it for about 20 years. He then decides to rip out half a wall to put in the wires then replaster it. 

Obviously he hasn't informed the council of this to ask permission to mess around with the electricity supply or to alter a wall. Telling him that the they will go off their head and charge him a fortune to put it back the way it was or that he will be evicted is everyone else "overreacting". 

7 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Brother in law who always moans that he is skint and has no spare time constantly comes up with stupid ideas that make him skint and have no spare time and never listens to anyone because he thinks everyone bar him is thick.

He's just moved into a rented property, in this case a council house that has been completely gutted and refitted. He is spending his time making it habitable which we thought was a bit of painting and buying new furniture.

Anyway, he just suddenly decides the other day that he wants to rewire the living room to put two extra plugs in. Apparently he is a qualified electrician but hasn't done any of it for about 20 years. He then decides to rip out half a wall to put in the wires then replaster it. 

Obviously he hasn't informed the council of this to ask permission to mess around with the electricity supply or to alter a wall. Telling him that the they will go off their head and charge him a fortune to put it back the way it was or that he will be evicted is everyone else "overreacting". 

Spark him out.