You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rio 2016 Summer Olympics

Anubis

Guest Pistonbroke

Jade Jones makes the final, class act. 

In the diving those Chinese girls are head and shoulders above the rest, especially the 15 yo, saying that the other one is only 17, old cow....

Guest Pistonbroke

Hahaha, the commentator on the men's hockey final just said someone was on the score shit this evening then corrected himself to say score sheet. 

Not this Olympics or even this century, but one of my earliest olympic memories. This is why sport and the Olympics are fucking great, even if you end up feeling utterly gutted for him:

I remember that well.  Though his dad running on to support him and telling the officials to fuck off away because his lad was finishing his race was brilliant.  So many fundamental aspects of our humanity on show there; striving to be the best that you can be, facing adversity and a father's love for his son.  I'm strugging to think of any time I've seen a sportsman as distraught as Redmond was, I can't watch the moment where his dad catches up with him and he's just howling into his shoulder and keep a dry eye.

• Upvote 1

Just watching the 800m there

Am i wrong for not feeling its a fair race

You have Semenya who is known to have a issue with gender leading to her having huge levels of testosterone compared to other woman athletes and Margret Wambui who is 6'6 is thought to have similar issues and both expected to be 1-2

Seems unfair to me

Posted Image

Posted Image

I know fuck all about the other one.  As far as Semenya is concerned, I know that the IAAF have cleared her to race and ultimately that's as fair as it gets in athletics.  I can't say that I think banning her would be fair.

This idea that intersex people basically have all the testosterone that blokes have and so benefit from it in sport is (pardon the wording) complete bollocks by the way.  Semenya reportedly has no womb or ovaries and does have undescended testes (or did, I have no idea if she's had any surgery or not) but that's not like she's packing meat and two veg in her shorts and is basically a bloke.

Incidentally, who would smash (pun intended) this:

11470754624_9316906fde_b.jpg

That's German intersex tennis player Sarah Gronert, born with male and female genitalia.  She had surgery to remove the bloke bits when she was 19.

• Upvote 1

I honestly think its difficult

Is the increase in hormones giving thrm a advantage?

Im not saying either have the testosterone of a male athlete but do they have much higher testosterone levels of a female athlete or is it closer to a female athlete whos is a drug cheat?

The IAAF would be slaughtered if they did say it was a issue.

I honestly think its difficult

Is the increase in hormones giving thrm a advantage?

Im not saying either have the testosterone of a male athlete but do they have much higher testosterone levels of a female athlete or is it closer to a female athlete whos is a drug cheat?

The IAAF would be slaughtered if they did say it was a issue.

The androgen levels which are permissible for female athletes are fixed values, so it makes no difference at all whether it comes from undescended testes, injections or a naturally high level, an athlete is either above it or they aren't.  That's obviously irrespective of  the separate rules expressly prohibiting doping.

Edited to add the post I was replying to.  Why the fuck can't I just copy and paste a quote and have it format properly with this board software any more?  It misses the header out.  Cunt board.

The androgen levels which are permissible for female athletes are fixed values, so it makes no difference at all whether it comes from undescended testes, injections or a naturally high level, an athlete is either above it or they aren't. That's obviously irrespective of the separate rules expressly prohibiting doping.

Edited to add the post I was replying to. Why the fuck can't I just copy and paste a quote and have it format properly with this board software any more? It misses the header out. Cunt board.

Some of the issues are that a high level doesn't exist in some test

The IAAF policy on hyperandrogenism, or high natural levels of testosterone in women, was suspended following the case of Dutee Chand v. Athletics Federation of India (AFI) & The International Association of Athletics Federations, in the Court of Arbitration for Sport, decided in July 2015.[36] The ruling found that there was insufficient evidence that testosterone increased female athletic performance

Saying that higher testosterone doesnt increase performance is bullshit otherwise why would you test in the first place.

As i said before i thinks its a no win for the IAAF.

Some of the issues are that a high level doesn't exist in some test

The IAAF policy on hyperandrogenism, or high natural levels of testosterone in women, was suspended following the case of Dutee Chand v. Athletics Federation of India (AFI) & The International Association of Athletics Federations, in the Court of Arbitration for Sport, decided in July 2015.[36] The ruling found that there was insufficient evidence that testosterone increased female athletic performance

Saying that higher testosterone doesnt increase performance is bullshit otherwise why would you test in the first place.

As i said before i thinks its a no win for the IAAF.

I think it's a non-issue for the IAAF, that's effectively what their policy says.

The fact is that there are a wide range of 'normal' values for both men and women, so the game is ultimately picking a level which although somewhat arbitrary will be treated as the maximum allowable level.  The ruling may be bullshit but the ruling was against the IAAF's policy.  the IAAF do believe that increasing testosterone levels can lead to improved performance in some events, which is exactly why they set a permissible level.

The fact is Semenya wasn't above it.  To be honest I find the fact the whole thing keeps getting dragged up to be somewhat distasteful.

• Upvote 1

When i was walking through one of the floors earlier on patrol the mens relay was on. Am i going mad or did i hear Kim Collins was running?

He must be ancient by now

He competed in the indiviual too and yeah, he's 40.

Bolt time.