You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gas VS Charcoal BBQs

Elite

Our current one has a ridged plate and we use it loads for cooking fish and vegetables. I wouldn't be without one but it looks like I'll have to make do with it being flat as I haven't been able to find a ridged one anywhere

Keep your eye on Aldi. Every now and then they sell a cast iron grill plate, flat on one side, griddle (ridged) on the other. Fits over one of those long fish burner things on gas stoves or two normal rings. Would fit well on a BBQ for what you want. I've got one of those fish rings on my cooktop, it's not only great for fish on the rare occasions I catch me a trout but lets you cook entire long rashers of bacon, which are much easier to catch.

On the other hand get a big cast iron griddle pan (camping stores are cheapest) and use it on your side burner.

• Upvote 2

Keep your eye on Aldi. Every now and then they sell a cast iron grill plate, flat on one side, griddle (ridged) on the other. Fits over one of those long fish burner things on gas stoves or two normal rings. Would fit well on a BBQ for what you want. I've got one of those fish rings on my cooktop, it's not only great for fish on the rare occasions I catch me a trout but lets you cook entire long rashers of bacon, which are much easier to catch.

On the other hand get a big cast iron griddle pan (camping stores are cheapest) and use it on your side burner.

Yeah. We've been doing some research and have moved on from where we were. It looks like you can get a griddle plate like that for about £20. Currently thinking gas for everyday and getting a small charcoal one for when you're making a day of it.

All of this is theoretical as it hasn't stopped raining since I last posted

• Upvote 1

Yeah. We've been doing some research and have moved on from where we were. It looks like you can get a griddle plate like that for about £20. Currently thinking gas for everyday and getting a small charcoal one for when you're making a day of it.

All of this is theoretical as it hasn't stopped raining since I last posted

Just to throw another spanner in, get ones with hoods and buy a pizza stone and a peel to get the best pizzas you've ever eaten, really easy, piece of piss, especially if you've got a bread machine to make the dough for you.Again, charcoal for flavour, gas for speed. It takes charcoal heaps longer to reach the mind boggling temps you need.

PS Its pissing down here too. Our rain is warmer than yours though.

• Upvote 1

Why is rain stopping people from cooking outside? Lid up, food on, lid down. Turn once halfway trough. Done.

Why would I use a hot plate for on my bbq (gas)? It's a genuine question. Or is this just a charcoal thing?

AE was responding to my comments about looking for a barbecue with a hot plate... which we use for cooking fish and vegetables. Applies to gas and charcoal cooking.

Oh and you're right about cooking in the rain. It's not going to put me off but when the sun shines it's the only way we cook

• 1 month later...

Why is rain stopping people from cooking outside? Lid up, food on, lid down. Turn once halfway trough. Done.

Why would I use a hot plate for on my bbq (gas)? It's a genuine question. Or is this just a charcoal thing?

Try frying an egg on a grill plate .............