You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gas VS Charcoal BBQs

Elite

I ordered myself a gas one today. I can bbq every single night of the summer without the hassle of charcoal. There's just no point in lighting a charcoal bbq for one or two people, when you get home at 7/8pm. And it's the cooking on the open flame that gives most of the bbq flavour, not the charcoal. I was converted when I tried a gas bbq.

I can't wait for it to arrive. More excited about this than any other purchase since I got the new house.

Cooking on an open flam gives most of the flavour?? So you intend to char everything? Otherwise it is complete bollocks, wood and smoke provide the flavour.

• Upvote 1

you're so seldom wrong about things Mark - but you are here.

cooking indoors in the summer ? come now.

our bathrooms have both been renovated at some cost however - maybe $20,000

I'd never do this Paul, but I honestly don't see the difference in terms of taste and cooking method. 

Get whatever suits your circumstances. If you're going to "have barbecues" (i.e. a party or get together a couple of times a month) then probably best getting a charcoal one for (IMO) slightly better flavour.

If you're going to use it to cook your dinner 4/5 times a week after you've been in work all day (like I do), then it's probably better to get a gas one for ease of use. Still pisses all over using an oven, girl or frying pan, and your kitchen won't stink.

I have a Weber Q220 gas and use it from March to October every year. It ignites straight away, leave it to heat for 5 minutes (gets to about 400 degree F) then stick the meat on, turning once - keep the lid on apart from when you turn the meat. It's the smoke that flavours the food (as well as the carbonised meat I leave in the bottom of the barrel - FLAVOUR!). If you cook meat on gas with the lid open you're wasting your time.

If I was loaded I'd have both gas and charcoal. But I'm not.

I'm sure to die of a red-meat related cancerous death, but hey ho.

• Upvote 1

Cooking on an open flam gives most of the flavour?? So you intend to char everything? Otherwise it is complete bollocks, wood and smoke provide the flavour.

No, but in my experience the gas bbqs still provide a very distinctive bbq flavouring. The fat getting cooked with the flames and high heat. Maybe open flame was the wrong terminology. Flame grilled. Or whatever. The point remains.

If you think it's complete bollocks, fine. I'm not fussed. You weren't invited anyway.

I generally find that the meat gives most of the flavour... and with most people using bags of treated charcoal from petrol stations any added notes are generally paraffin related and soon doused in sauce.

I am not particularly worried one way or another just find the passion for charcoal ridiculously overblown in most cases.

Get whatever suits your circumstances. If you're going to "have barbecues" (i.e. a party or get together a couple of times a month) then probably best getting a charcoal one for (IMO) slightly better flavour.

If you're going to use it to cook your dinner 4/5 times a week after you've been in work all day (like I do), then it's probably better to get a gas one for ease of use. Still pisses all over using an oven, girl or frying pan, and your kitchen won't stink.

I have a Weber Q220 gas and use it from March to October every year. It ignites straight away, leave it to heat for 5 minutes (gets to about 400 degree F) then stick the meat on, turning once - keep the lid on apart from when you turn the meat. It's the smoke that flavours the food (as well as the carbonised meat I leave in the bottom of the barrel - FLAVOUR!). If you cook meat on gas with the lid open you're wasting your time.

If I was loaded I'd have both gas and charcoal. But I'm not.

I'm sure to die of a red-meat related cancerous death, but hey ho.

I've got the Q3200. It is fucking boss. Best pork crackling I've ever had.

I'd love a kamado as well though, and when I bought the weber it had to be a tossup between the two for financial reasons. Chose the weber on convenience alone. I cooked at least one meal a day, every day on it through the summer. Two or even three meals a day at weekends. Charcoal is too much of a fuckaround for that kind of use.

At some stage I'm hoping to get the kamado, and use that for experimenting with different woods and flavours and the like, with the weber for convenience as required.

Charcoal is definitely the tool of the serious bbq'er though.

No, but in my experience the gas bbqs still provide a very distinctive bbq flavouring. The fat getting cooked with the flames and high heat. Maybe open flame was the wrong terminology. Flame grilled. Or whatever. The point remains.

If you think it's complete bollocks, fine. I'm not fussed. You weren't invited anyway.

Fuck you then, I had a good 5 year old tempranillo to one side, but wouldn't waste it on gas do!

I have a charcoal one and the only thing I really care about is that I get to stand there drinking beer "tending" to the BBQ, lump on the meat and "tend" to it while supping cold ones. Meanwhile herself is setting the table, prepping the salads and sauces, getting me a beer and minding the kids.

It is during this time I actually get to relax and be left alone as "Daddy is doing the BBQ". Charcoal all the way as the burn time needed prolongs this glorious me-time.

• Upvote 5

My mate lives the outdoor lifestyle and has what seems like an excessive amount of outdoor cooking appliances I asked him about this and he said, "if I want to grill I use the grill, If I want to barbecue I use the barbecue, if I want to smoke I use the smoker".

It's pretty simple when you put it like that!

• Upvote 1