You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Copa America

39 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Just read there is another one next year because they want to get in line with the Euros and then every four years after that. Piss take losing your players to it two years running. 

They've already had that "special" one in the USA a few years ago.

So that'll be 2015, 2016, 2019, and 2020. 

Ok.

14 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

They've already had that "special" one in the USA a few years ago.

So that'll be 2015, 2016, 2019, and 2020. 

Ok.

The 2016 one was to mark the Centenary of the very first edition, and for some reason they chose to host the 2016 edition in the USA. The Copa America has had a weird history where they held one every couple of years, then every 4 years, then for even longer than that. Also, Brazil didn't give a fuck about it for decades, leaving out their best players for World Cup qualifiers and prestige friendlies instead, which is one reason why Uruguay and Argentina are way out in front for tournament wins.

For all the talent on display, it's been woeful entertainment.

Should have just spent a day with a shoot-out competition between all the teams, give the trophy to the winner, and hit the beach.

The Gold Cup, on the other hand, despite the much lower quality, has had quite a few entertaining matches. Haiti have beaten Costa Rica and Canada so far, and have Mexico in their sights up next.

Guest Pistonbroke

Not watched a lot of it but caught highlights the next morning. I'm pretty happy with how things have gone as I have a soft spot for both Chile and Peru and one of them will make the final. 

On 30/06/2019 at 15:34, Pistonbroke said:

Not watched a lot of it but caught highlights the next morning. I'm pretty happy with how things have gone as I have a soft spot for both Chile and Peru and one of them will make the final. 

I have a soft spot for Peru's kit. A thing of beauty.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

Chuffed that Peru are through to the final, although some sympathy for Chile who dominated the game (Only watched the Highlights though) but wasted chances. 

Peru have only beaten Brazil once since the mid 70's in about 20 attempts, although they have drawn a bit and that solitary victory was recent. 

Guest Pistonbroke
19 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Just spent half an hour trying to find that Peru away kit on sale anywhere online. Failed dismally.

Yeah, I had a look for it yesterday and it doesn't seem to be released for sale at any of the usual trusted shops.