You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cardiff cup finals.

Kevin D

2001 was a great year went to all 3 finals ,my 1st FA Cup final as well I drove down on the day didn't touch a drop just wanted to go to a cup final the lad who should have sat next to me got so pissed he missed the match ( tried to get in the Arsenal end and got twated for his troubles ) we had a bastard of a job finding him after the match as well.

Great seat as well 1st row in the dip behind the goal another lad was so nervous he missed the 2 owen goals and on the journey back kept asking us how he scored them got back into work on the monday to be told that if I wanted a ticket for the final in Dortmund it was mine free as well  just had to shell out for the flight,  flew out on the Wednesday and got ferried all round that part of Germany by the German arm of the company including lunch in a swanky restaurant in Cologne right by the Rhine just a fantastic week in general winning both cups obviously helped as well .

• Upvote 3

I watched the 2001 final in a pub in London, was near covent garden, i was visiting a friend at the time and he was having an all day house party and could not come out ti the pub, i was near Covent garden and could not find a pub showing the game in London anywhere near by (quite common in London actually even today). I eventually found a pub off to a side street. needles to say went crazy as i could in a London boozer when own scored, was buzzing. Made my way back to my mates all weekender party and oh what a night, even found  time between drinks to tap me off some po-tang.

9 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Only went once - 2006 Charity Shield. Brilliant day out. The train down from Chester was absolutely dead until we got to Hereford, which - by that time  - had become a massive park & ride site; then it was like being on  Reds party bus.

Remember that game for one of our fans celebrating a goal wildly and plummeting face first over the advertising hoardings and wall surrounding the pitch. Looked really painful.

On 22/08/2020 at 18:29, an tha said:

2003 Milk Cup Final v the mancs was boss.

One of the best atmospheres been in....was carnage when 2nd went in.

I was having a piss when Gerrard scored and missed it. 

I had to celebrate for 2 goals when Owen scored. 

Smicer should have made it 3.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

15 years ago today.....Remember sitting behind the goal pissed off and utterly gutted  that we were going to lose the Final to fucking West Ham when the greatest goal I’ve ever seen when being at a game flew like an arrow into the bottom corner resulting in utter utter bedlam 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Stickman said:

15 years ago today.....Remember sitting behind the goal pissed off and utterly gutted  that we were going to lose the Final to fucking West Hem when the greatest goal I’ve ever seen when being at a game flew like an arrow into the bottom corner resulting in utter bedlam 

I had a Hammer from Chalfont St Giles sitting in my living room watching it with me.

Still can't believe it.

3 minutes ago, Stickman said:

15 years ago today.....Remember sitting behind the goal pissed off and utterly gutted  that we were going to lose the Final to fucking West Ham when the greatest goal I’ve ever seen when being at a game flew like an arrow into the bottom corner resulting in utter utter bedlam 

Love his almost, "yea, what. This is how good I am"

17 minutes ago, Stickman said:

I paid £90 for my ticket that day and thought it was going to be as bad as the £40 I paid in 1996 until that moment. Cardiff finals were ace and I wish finals were still played there.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Remember saying to my lad we needed a miracle to save us then stevie summoned up his last bit of strength!

That boy deserves the accolade of our greatest player the number of times he did that.

29 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Mrs O'T had gone back down south to stay with her family that weekend, because she really didn't want to stay in Liverpool. Her dad and brother were at the match; she went to her other brother's to watch it on the telly. A lifetime of following West Ham has taught her to expect disappointment, so when, with seconds remaining, her brother said "I can't believe we're going to win the Cup" she barely had time to shout "SHUT THE FU..." before Steven George Gerrard did his thing.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Mrs O'T had gone back down south to stay with her family that weekend, because she really didn't want to stay in Liverpool. Her dad and brother were at the match; she went to her other brother's to watch it on the telly. A lifetime of following West Ham has taught her to expect disappointment, so when, with seconds remaining, her brother said "I can't believe we're going to win the Cup" she barely had time to shout "SHUT THE FU..." before Steven George Gerrard did his thing.

What was almost as amazing was this at the death:

Cardiff was boss. Did the charity shield there as well when we beat Chelsea.

That West Ham final was fucking great as was Arsenal. All day cup final drinking at these games does tend to make memories a bit hazy.

The West Ham one we ended up celebrating with Gary Mac and Kenny in the crowd at the end. Gary Mac was buzzing. I think Kenny wasn’t as up for having a cuddle as Gary not that it deterred me.

3 hours ago, Soft Joe said:

Cardiff was boss. Did the charity shield there as well when we beat Chelsea.

That West Ham final was fucking great as was Arsenal. All day cup final drinking at these games does tend to make memories a bit hazy.

The West Ham one we ended up celebrating with Gary Mac and Kenny in the crowd at the end. Gary Mac was buzzing. I think Kenny wasn’t as up for having a cuddle as Gary not that it deterred me.

667d985c-ae66-42ed-9828-820fb3b33b8e_tex

On 13/05/2021 at 13:16, Stickman said:

Tyler and Gray's commentary is immense, and I love how Riise celebrates - he is positively enraptured.

"Well take a bow, son.

You have been immense.

If anyone has ever doubted your value to your side, you have blown them away with the most extraordinary equaliser we've seen in a cup final.

You're fighting against everything and you pop up with this? 

Absolutely top drawer.

Magnificent, majestic, everything that's good about football.

You've got it, son. You've definitely got it."

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...