You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football 2016/17.

Trumo

So how are you going to win the ball back? Just hope that the opposition play a loose ball all the time or spunk all the chances they create so you can tippy tappy your way out of defence from a keepers goal kick/throw out? Plus I'm sure I have witnessed Pep teams putting loads of tackles in, especially Bayern, load of bollocks as per. 

You do realize that the ball is almost never won back on a crunching tackle, right? If the defensive players are in the right position and swarm the ball-carrier, he'll shit himself, take a bad touch or make a bad pass and lose the ball. This is what happens like 90% of the time in a game. Do you even watch football? There's a reason why intelligent players like Xabi say tackling isn't a primary skill.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

You do realize that the ball is almost never won back on a crunching tackle, right? If the defensive players are in the right position and swarm the ball-carrier, he'll shit himself, take a bad touch or make a bad pass and lose the ball. This is what happens like 90% of the time in a game. Do you even watch football? There's a reason why intelligent players like Xabi say tackling isn't a primary skill.

Do fuck off you pillock. 

Pep on being told mcfc didn't win a tackle in first 35 mins: 'I'm not coaching tackles. I'm not training for tackles... what's tackles?'

Hipster Pep too cool for school.

He's the managerial equivalent of somebody cycling around Shoreditch pouting on a little collapsible bike with a beard and a couple of sleeve tattoos.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

So you implant that image in my head, then fuck off and leave me to suffer the consequences. Typical.

I'm getting inside your head mate, the begging emails start next. 

Strange how your first sentence had to hinge on a qualifying adjective there?  A subtle hint that you know the point is a bit tenuous?

If your defensive players are in the right position, and have the judgement and skill to effectively challenge for the ball, if the ball carrier takes a bad touch or makes a bad pass the attacking team will get tackled.

It doesn't have to be "crunching", but it takes timing, co-ordination and a good read on your opponent. Just like any other skill in the game...

• Upvote 1

Strange how your first sentence had to hinge on a qualifying adjective there?  A subtle hint that you know the point is a bit tenuous?

If your defensive players are in the right position, and have the judgement and skill to effectively challenge for the ball, if the ball carrier takes a bad touch or makes a bad pass the attacking team will get tackled.

It doesn't have to be "crunching", but it takes timing, co-ordination and a good read on your opponent. Just like any other skill in the game...

No, not really. I just thought it read better that way.

Don't understand what point you're making otherwise. If you're saying tackling takes skill to execute, then I agree. Of course it does. But what I was saying was that I agree with Xabi Alonso and Guardiola that it isn't actually all that important to know how to tackle or to be great at it.

• Upvote 1