You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football 2016/17.

Trumo

Simeone is a genius. The amount of big scalps he has taken beggars belief. Absolute master of training players to time interceptions, earn fouls and take the fewest possible touches for counterattacks.

Surely Atletico winning at home against any team isn't seen as a big scalp any longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newcastle down at home again, against Norwich this time. Fail to turn this into 3 points and it's safe to say they've made an extremely poor start to the season, given the comparative quality of their squad & money at their disposal.

If such form continues, I can't see Rafa getting a particularly long grace period before they look to a Steve Bruce type, someone who is a known quantity in getting out of that league (usually before returning a year or two later).

Oh Dear...........

Kolorov's defending was interesting

One of my pet hates is left backs who are quite happy to trouser £50k a week upward but don't feel it necessary to even learn to swing their right foot at a ball. Yes, Riise & Moreno I am looking at you.

Rafa getting emotional in his old age. That Barcode player must be a strong bastard.

• Upvote 1

Which, in turn, surely cements the genius of Simeone. 

Bayern Munich come to town and no-one is remotely surprised when they go home with fuck all.

They aren't some provincial team that have competed against all odds.

This is a club that has been, at various points, the third biggest club in Spain with a less than stellar history of dodgy financial engineering to buy players and get out of paying for players.

That isn't a slight on Simeone but it doesn't exactly set him out as a modern day Shankly/Clough either.

3rd after 10 games , 3 points off top.

Disastrous

They turned it round, didn't they? If they hadn't, they'd be in a poor position given the quality of their squad / manager in comparison to the rest of the division.

Getting rid of Rafa & bringing in a tactical heathen like Bruce to bounce them between the divisions for the rest of their days is something I could see Mike Ashley thinking an excellent idea in the event that they struggle to assert themselves near the top of the league.

They aren't some provincial team that have competed against all odds.

This is a club that has been, at various points, the third biggest club in Spain with a less than stellar history of dodgy financial engineering to buy players and get out of paying for players.

That isn't a slight on Simeone but it doesn't exactly set him out as a modern day Shankly/Clough either.

Yeah, I am aware of who Atletico Madrid are, and they very much are competing against the odds in La Liga and in the Champions League.

They turned it round, didn't they? If they hadn't, they'd be in a poor position given the quality of their squad / manager in comparison to the rest of the division.

Getting rid of Rafa & bringing in a tactical heathen like Bruce to bounce them between the divisions for the rest of their days is something I could see Mike Ashley thinking an excellent idea in the event that they struggle to assert themselves near the top of the league.

Not going to happen.

Benitez will do ok and get them into the play offs at least,

Surprised by some of the negative reactions to that game.

I thought they were absolutely outstanding. They showed tremendous character and kept battling away and got that vital goal in the second half. They just lacked that wee bit of composure in the final third that might have made the margin more comfortable.

• Upvote 1